Post surgery recovery Part Two

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
johnmeissner

Post surgery recovery Part Two

Postby johnmeissner » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:28 pm

Things have been going pretty good. But recently, I've noticed that when I have a bowel movement, it feels like, as it first starts coming out, that my stool is really scraping me. Also, the very bottom of my incision appears slightly different than the rest, like maybe a roll of skin is pressing up against it and slowing down it's healing. Finally, I feel some soreness in the left side of my belly, just above the belt line and several times, that same area has hurt a bit whenever I've first stand after sitting for awhile. Can anyone shed some light on what might be going on? Is this a normal part of the healing process(I am two months and three days post surgery)?
Hi, I'm John. But you can call me NED! Meet our son Jimmy at http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/jimmymize/

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:01 am

I would say John, that the insides are still knitting together. My surgeon advised me that it would take 12 weeks to heal. My surgery was June 2nd. And im still getting twinges here and there.

Cheers
Nick

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:35 pm

Hi John,
Just read your post. Was wondering if things were going better for you now. Could just be scar tissue breaking apart and reconnecting. Like Nick said, healing from the inside out takes time. There are many layers. My surgeon told me a good 3-4 months for complete healing.
Margot
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"
Diagnosed January 2006 with stage IIIc at age 40.

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:53 pm

As far as the bowel movements go, going back on the stool softener gelcaps has solved that little "problem."

Concerning the scar tissue: This past weekend was kinda rough, made a bit worse by the 11-hour bus ride (each way) between Kearney, NE and Indianapolis. It certainly isn't really bad, double over i agony-type pain, but is very annoying. Just another indication that, at 46 days out from surgery, I'm not back to my "old self" yet.

The last couple of days, tonight in particular, I feel like I am tiring easily again, my energy levels goes away quickly. I feel like going to bed at 9pm and not getting up for at least 12 hours. While I was hoping I'd be back to normal by now, I knew all along it would take awhile. But I don't think I was really expecting this "yo-yo" effect.
Hi, I'm John. But you can call me NED! Meet our son Jimmy at http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/jimmymize/

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”