Sugar-Cancer Link (or lack thereof...)

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Hannah

Sugar-Cancer Link (or lack thereof...)

Postby Hannah » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:30 pm

There have been a few questions/comments lately about sugar and cancer. I have been meaning to write something up, but luckily just came across the below message from Kate Murphy regarding about this exact myth (on another listserv)!

For those who don't know the amazing Kate Murphy, she is a 22-year colon cancer survivor and amazing advocate who literally spends every day educating others. There is nobody I know who is better educated about colorectal cancer.

:)Hannah

FROM KATE:

It is a myth that eating sugar contributes to the development or growth of cancer. All food eventually ends up as glucose, which is a sugar, and is used in cells to make energy.

Cancer cells are fast-growing and, as a result, take up and use more glucose than normal cells. This greediness for the sugar glucose is one reason that PET scans work to identify potential cancer by looking for high levels radioactively-marked glucose.

However, you can't keep glucose from going to cancer cells or normal cells. And you wouldn't want to because without glucose your brain, heart, lungs, and other critical body parts wouldn't work. Starving the brain of its sugar (glucose) would quickly produce confusion and eventually death.

No matter what you eat -- cookies, spoonfuls of sugar, milk, fruit, broccoli, ketchup, chocolate bars -- the carbohydrates (sugars and starches) will be converted to glucose for use in the body.

Excess sugar can contribute to obesity which is a risk factor for the development of colorectal cancer, but shouldn't be a worry for people being treated for cancer who need to keep from losing weight.

The other problem with candy, cookies, cake and other tasty, sugary foods is that if you eat too many, you won't want to eat the fruits, vegetables, and proteins that contain important nutrients.

But avoiding sugar will NOT cure colorectal cancer or keep it from growing.

As far as juicing goes, it is a convenient way to drink fruits and vegetables but doesn't contribute anything more than is already there. You get as much nutrition by eating the whole fruit or veggie. If you are on chemotherapy, you want to be very, very careful of raw fruit or vegetables, even if you wash them well and mash them up in a juicer. Bacteria can linger on skins and make you sick. Most oncologists recommend that people on chemo cook fruits and vegetables.

All of us want to do simple things to increase the chances of recovering from cancer -- but sometimes those things that seem very simple are not effective. Eat what makes you feel good and strong, and don't hesitate to give yourself a sweet treat once in a while.

Kate
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:30 pm

Thank-you Hannah and Kate for your information about sugar. I try to eat healthy and avoid processed foods, white flour, and sugar. But sometimes, something sweet just tastes good! During a visit to the Cancer Treatment Centers of America a nutrition class I attended really pointed the finger at sugar as a substance that contributes to cancer's growth.

I have felt very guilty about when I "slip" and have something with sugar; however, after reading your information I will ease up on the guilt. Thank-you. And of course, I will continue to eat healthy with sugar in moderation.

Bryan S

Postby Bryan S » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:39 pm

Hannah thanks for the info on sugar I had posted the reply below back in September. It seems like a lot of people want to balme bad things on sugar but as your post says we need it.

"You could get it due to genetics... My mom had it now I have it I. have warned my 18 yo son to be dilligent in watching for any signs of Colon Cancer. As for a change in diet well I am a diabetic so the sugar is a no no for me anyway as far as it can go. As for cancer cells thriving on sugar well your whole body does it goes through the Krebs Cycle and sugar (carbohydrates) is used to produce something called ATP and ATP actually fuels your cells.
There are actually many compunds that are called sugars fructose, lactose, and glucose (table sugar) just to name a few so you really cannot get away from them totally even if you really try your body can use any of them, it just changes them to a usable form. I was only a C+ student in these courses. If you have any questions just drop me a reply and I will get out my referencs at home I just do not have them at work."
Last edited by Bryan S on Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”