exercise after surgery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tandys24

exercise after surgery

Postby tandys24 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:11 pm

Hello!
I am 30 with stage 3 cc. I had surgery Aug.15th and am on chemo for 10 rounds i am on my 4th this monday. I was just wondering if anyone would know or has done any sit ups or any stomach exercises. I do cardio as much as I can the chemo really has a toll on me the first week but the second I try to work out 5 days. When my surgery was performed they used my old c-section scar and now my clothes do not fit anymore my stomach the lower part is very sensitive and bigger then it was before. any info would be great!
God Bless, and ALWAYS Believe!

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:37 pm

Hey Tandy!

I'm a firm believer that exercise is a "Cure All!" Just be careful not to over do it. Your body will tell you if you're doing too much, and even just walking is good for you in the beginning! (I should add that walking is good for you ANYWAY!)

missjv

Postby missjv » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:33 pm

hi tandy,
be careful with the abdominal stuff for now, but walking and slow jog is great excercise so are small weights while you are walking. i go to the ymca everyday and lift weights and do 1 hour of cardio but i did not have a large surgery like you did all i had was a polypectomy so yours is way more extensive i guess the best thing to do is ask your doc. im trying to get in as good as shape as i can for upcoming liver surgery to remove spot on liver, the spot is so small but i guess the surgery itself is a big one, yikes!!! but i have read studies about people who do excercise have less of a chance of recurrant cancer so that is a plus in itself. your here in florida and the weather is starting to get nice a little chilly last night it is good walking weather now.

missjv

Bryan S

Postby Bryan S » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:36 pm

I would check with your doctor before doing to much abdominal exercise. I was limited to lifting 25 pounds for 3 months after surgery you do not want to damage things that are not 100 % healed.

Jeni

Postby Jeni » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:27 am

I would like to point out to everyone that 2 observational studies were done and got wide reporting last summer and also in Oncology magazine.
The studies were about colorectal cancer recurrence and exercise. One study looked at 800 colorectal cancer survivors, the other at about 600 female colorectal cancer survivors.

The two studies found that if survivors exercised what is called 18 MET hours per week, they reduced their risk of cancer recurrence by as much as 50%. This held true regardless of number of nodes involved or whether someone got chemo adjuvantly. One study looked at Stages 1 - 3, the other at stages 2 -3.

18 MET hours means that if you can run a 10 minutes mile, an hour of that has a value of 12. One hr of walking at 2 - 2.9 mph has a value of 3, an hour of aerobics class has a value of 6. So you needed 18 of these points in a week to get the benefit.

They are looking further into this to see why, one theory is it has to do with insulin control.

So I have been doing this since just after my July diagnosis. There are lots of reasons for us to stay fit, this seems to me to be just one more in our favor.

Jeni

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:15 pm

Yahoo!! So that means my training and running a marathon in mid-September gets me a lot of MET points?!! I hope to do a couple more in 2007. The marathon was my way of saying "I am fine - I have beaten this"

PGLGreg

Re: exercise after surgery

Postby PGLGreg » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:23 am

tandys24 wrote: I was just wondering if anyone would know or has done any sit ups or any stomach exercises.

My doctors were uninformative about when I could go back to doing sit-ups after a Low Anterior Resection 11 months ago. Just guessing, I started doing a few after 3 months, but got sore after 3 weeks or so. I'm not sure I should have let a little soreness stop me, but I did stop, and started again after 10 months. Now it seems to be going ok. Your recovery time might well be less since I'm older than you -- 64.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”