Rectal surgery tomorrow.....advice?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
IssyP

Rectal surgery tomorrow.....advice?

Postby IssyP » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:32 am

My dad's rectal surgery is tomorrow. They are doing a lower rectal excision.....basically, his entire is being removed down to the anus and then the colon will be reattached at this junction. He will have an ileostomy/colectomy(?) for 3 months and hopefully no lymph nodes and he'll have the bag removed.....best case scenario.

He is soo nervous of the unknown, which is always hard......Anyone who has had this surgery could you please share with me how your surgery went, good and bad, and what my dad has to look forward to post-op? Greatly appreciated and may God bless all of you!

IssyP

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:38 am

Hi there, its the same surgery as what i had back in June. Your dad will be fine. Maybe a bit sore for a few weeks but nothing to get too stressed over. Ive had the temporary bag, and it may take him time to adjust to it, but im sure he will.

Stay strong

Nick

pearlgirl

Postby pearlgirl » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:28 pm

DH had this surgery on 9/26 and he's doing great, even driving short distances. The body has incredible healing properties, doesn't it?

IssyP

Thank you.....

Postby IssyP » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:32 pm

Thank you so much for giving me hope.....I shared your experiences with dad and he was very optimistic. I think the anticipation of the surgery might be the worst.....at least on the other end there are meds to relieve the pain...

Take care and thank you once again!

IssyP

jana

Postby jana » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:38 am

I had rectal cancer removed many years ago, but got wonderful advice from a cancer survivor.

Decorate his room with cards and pictures to make the stay nicer.
Get a removable shower head so when he gets discharged he can wash off; sometimes there are areas that must stay dry. Head to home depot and pick one up. Pretty easy to install.
Get a wedge pillow to support his belly when he sleeps at home... it was a life saver for me... I was very glad to have it.
Slippers and bathrobe to hospital for the post op walking.
I got bigger sized cheap underwear to wear at hospital when I started getting a little better. May be different with men, but you don't want anything snug on your bum.. and underwear is such a nice normalcy (but that may be more of a female issue).

Recovery goes slow, but I was back at work in 6 weeks - part time the first month. But take it slow and steady. Tell dad to walk often and to stay strong. I firmly believe in living strong.

Wish you and family the best and a speady recovery. jana
Live every moment to it's fullest.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”