farrah fawcett has "anal cancer" ?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:56 am

I am a radio broadcaster for a hockey team. This weekend, referees and linesmen in our league are wearing special pink uniform, that will be auctioned off for cancer research/awareness. I have mentioned colon cancer awareness month to our league's media/public relations director, in hopes we can do something then. And, whether there's anything done league-wide or not, I plan on doing something, that hopefully will include at least an interview on the air with Molly.

I've seen enough pink ribbons around to last a lifetime. And that's a good thing to see them all. But now it's time to start seeing a few blue ones.
Hi, I'm John. But you can call me NED! Meet our son Jimmy at http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/jimmymize/

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:50 pm

I so agree!

Jeni

blue ribbons

Postby Jeni » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:59 am

I agree with John and Magnolia. I do not fault the breast cancer folks any of their success, but the visibility/fundraising of our cancer isn't good enough.

I did see where the organization Katie Couric is involved in just got Diane Keaton to be a spokesperson. Celebrity does help. I would love to see lots and lots of PSA in March, which is the month for Colorectal cancer to be in the news.

And folks can be critical all they want to about all the breast cancer products you see right now, but the fact of the matter is, whether or not a penny or two pennies from each product is headed to breast cancer, they are still getting tons of revenue streams for research that we miss out on.

Most of the public will not get actively involved, but they do buy M and Ms, Campbell's Soup, yogurt, etc, often, and a smaller group will buy the lovely candles purses, all the other things. If a consumer is standing in the soup aisle at the store and sees a can of tomato soup that will send a portion to cancer research, they will buy that can versus one that doesn't do the same thing, often. That is a painless way to harness the money out there that folks will spend anyway.

But we don't have our blue M and Ms, our soup cans, our fancy soy candles. I emaild the group that named Diane Keaton spokesperson and said hey, what can we do to get some visibility ? But have not heard back. Do we contact the manufacturers, the stores, what ? Somebody has to know how.

There is a book on the market this month about Olympus Fashion Week, a coffee table book, you can buy it from Amazon. It features the designers and celebrities that congregate around this big fashion event, including some of the folks from Project Runway. A portion of the receipts goes to Colorectal cancer research. If you love fashion, or know someone who does, get the book.

Just wish we weren't so invisible. Breast Cancer survival rates have climbed dramatically in the last 25 years, and it is no coincidence that the money they have generated in that time period dramatically increased.

Sorry for the soapbox - I am mostly a lurker here otherwise - what do you all think ?

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:12 pm

I think you said a mouthful. Isn't it unfortunate that cancers have to compete with each other for attention and funding? Aren't we all in the same boat here? Many of us have had more than one cancer.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:40 pm

So apparently someone did find a "retrospective" link to HPV virus infection and Colorectal Cancer. I would be curious of this patient population as it was conducted by the HIV and AIDS Malignancy group at CRI. I will have to do more investigation. Still, more work needs to be done.

Jeffrey Carenza, MD
Stage IIIB colon cancer survivor

athos129

More awareness for colon cancer

Postby athos129 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:16 am

I must agree with most folks on this message board. As horrible as breast cancer is, why isn't there more awareness for colon cancer or even lung cancer, considering lung is the number 1 cancer killer of both men and women. Probably because the breasts are seen as sexual objects for men they get so much attention. If there was more penile cancer there would probably be a cure for that already!! They are constantly having casual days at work for breast cancer contributions. I tell them, when they have a casual day for colon cancer I will contribute. I was diagnosed at 51 with stage iv colo/rectal cancer. I had a hysterectomy and colon resection all in one shot, followed by chemo and radiation. It has been 3 years and so far all is well. Although I did have a huge scare last year when they saw changes to my sacral bone. After numerous tests, they determined it to be radiation damage.
Thank goodness for Katie Couric, she seems to be our sole champion. She was on QVC selling a bathroom spray called "Laughing Gas" and all the proceeds went to colon cancer research. That was a product I was happy to buy and highly recommend it. Smells wonderful, like fresh cinnamon buns!
Let's hope we can raise colon cancer awareness. After my diagnosis, most of my friends went out and got colonsocopys. I don't even mind them now. I look forward to the diprovan!!

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:51 am

MMmmmm....Colonoscopy drugs. I love Versed. Funny thing is it doesn't seem to affect my memory much. It's called "milk of amnesia" but I've had it several times and remember pretty much everything. I just don't give a rat's patoot about any of it.

I'm being treated at the Vince Lombardi Cancer Center at Georgetown University. Vince Lombardi was the coach of the Washington Redskins years ago and died of colon cancer. Who knows about that? Nobody!

missjv

Postby missjv » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:25 am

HI,
I AGREE ABOUT THE COLONOSCOPY THE SLEEP IS THE BEST SLEEP IN THE WORLD WISH I COULD HAVE A CONTINUOUS DRIP OF THE MEDS SO I COULD SLEEP BETTER AT NIGHT. I WILL HAVE COLONOSCOPY EVERY 6 MONTHS DUE TO THE FACT MY STAGE 4 CANCER RESULTED FROM A VERY SMALL POLYP AND I DID NOT HAVE RESECTION OF THE AREA JUST A POLYPECTOMY BECAUSE AT THE TIME IT LOOKED NOT CANCEROUS BUT SURPRISE IT WAS AND HAD ALREADY WENT TO LIVER BUT GOOD NEWS I CAN HAVE SURGERY ON LIVER SPOT WHICH IS VERY SMALL SO IM GLAD FOR THAT.

MISSJV

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:18 am

I just e-mailed Ellen Degeneres. She's been doing backflips over breast cancer all month on her show. I suggested she do the same in March for colorectal cancer. We'll see what happens. I was very diplomatic.

Jeni61

Postby Jeni61 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:37 pm

Okay, everyone, let's do this -

Ellen's been emailed, let's email the group Couric is involved in. More public service announcements - and for heaven's sake, more products.

Laughing Gas is a cute start but the market for bathroom spray isn't huge. The breast cancer people are hugely successful in part because there is such a range of things -- from couture handbags to bags of M and Ms -- that people would want to buy anyway.

Do we need to contact Hershey's for a special Hershey's Kiss with a blue ribbon ( our color ) on it ? If not that, what else ? Couric's group has Diane Keaton as a spokesperson, but others, too. like Heidi Klum and Ray Romano.

Seriously, let's get on this. I emailed the Couric group but have heard nothing.

Any other ideas ?

Jeni

missjv

Postby missjv » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:47 pm

hi,
well i agree we need to do something to draw attention to this cancer because there are so many of us under 50 who have this cancer and the younger crowd such as myself never think about colon cancer and don't think they can get it because of that magical age of 50 that is supposed to be when you start testing therefore many young people with symptoms ignore them or their doctors ignore them because they think since they are under 50 they are not at risk. maybe now that farrah has this cancer and has come forward like other celebs such as sharon osbourne stage 1 and tammy faye baker who is a stage 4 people will be more aware. this board alone is filled with people under 50 years of age who have or had advanced colon cancer and there are so many more out there and there are young people with symptoms who are being ignored and not tested like they should be cause they don't fit the mold.

missjv

janb

Postby janb » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:22 pm

I have emailed Ellen in the past and not received any responses. It's our job to march on and spread the word in any way or form possible to bring awareness. I do it through my crazy website and it's brought attention to the seriousness of it. I have actually had people tell me they have gone for colonoscopies so I know it's working. I also bring a business card with me that talks about my website and I pass them out. I recently put "Greg" (with permission) on the desk of the NBC today show while recently in NYC. I gave the cameraman a business card so I await to see where that goes. I also posted two videos on YouTube under colon cancer. When I did this, there were only 6 other links about colon cancer. This has now grown to over 30! It's a slow march but at least it's moving.
Keep hounding and pestering people. I have emailed David Letterman, Oprah and Ellen to no avail, but I will keep trying. My brother died of colon cancer because doctors ignored his symptoms. When he was diagnosed at stage IV, it was too late. He had 2 inoperable tumors.
Together....we can make a difference!
www.whereintheworldisgregkelley.com

Jeni61

Postby Jeni61 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:47 am

Death rates from breast cancer plummetted in a short time and you cannot say the money has nothing to do with it; it has everything to do with it.

Let's up the ante.

I am going to email that Couric group again and see what I can rustle up.

I would sure like to see our March be bigger than it has in the past.

jeni

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:07 pm

Just want to clarify/comment on a few things that have been running around this thread:

1) ANAL/COLORECTAL CANCER
Although anal and colorectal cancer share a lot of the same issues (hey, let's all talk about our butts!), they are different cancers. As Dr. Jeff wrote earlier, anal cancer is a different pathology. It is caused by HPV, the same virus that can cause cervical cancer. There are many types of HPV (about 100) and MANY people get HPV - according to the CDC, approximately 50% of sexually active people will contract HPV at least once in their lifetime, although HPV usually "cures" itself in time. In some uncommon situations, some types of HPV can develop into cervical, anal, and penile cancer, among other types of cancer.

To find out more about HPV, check out the Centers for Disease Control website: http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm#common

I didn't know about the supposed link between CRC and HPV, but my initial reaction is that it's probably not as big a thing as it seems. Since so many people have HPV on a "regular" basis, and since having cancer could definitely compromise a person's ability to get rid of HPV naturally, there may not be a causal relationship. I would like to see more about this - Jeff (or anyone else), please let me know what you find out about this.

2) ELLEN DEGENERES
Funny that someone emailed Ellen! She actually had polyps removed and has talked about her colon on her show (although not enough for my taste of course!). I would LOVE to see her have a young colorectal cancer survivor on her show, so keep emailing her!

3) RADIATION FOR COLON/RECTAL CANCER
Radiation is NOT common for colon cancer - it is primarily used in rectal cancer, although it is occasionally used in very specific situations to treat colon cancer.

4) FAMOUS OSTOMATES
More famous people with ostomies (although not all from colorectal cancer):
- Tony Award-winning actress Barbara Barrie (aka Nana from Suddenly Susan). She is extremely open about it and wrote the book "Don't Die of Embarassment: Life After Colostomy" - a great, funny book about her life after getting an ostomy following rectal cancer. I highly recommend it and you can buy it here: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 846248&itm
- Rolf Bernischke, ex-kicker for the San Diego Chargers - he started the Great Comeback Awards www.greatcomebacks.com
- Marvin Bush (brother of President George W. Bush), Bob Hope, Former House Speaker Tip O'Neal, Dwight Eisenhower, Hubert Humphrey, Queen Elizabeth II

5) OSTOMIES/FRUSTRATION WITH MEDICAL CHOICES
Ostomies are becoming less common than they used to be, but are certainly not rare. Better pre-surgical options (radiation and chemo) to shrink tumors and better surgical procedures are generally to credit with this. However, regardless of these advances, many people still need temporary or permanent ostomies. It is not the end of the world, but it can be difficult and very frustrating for the people who need the ostomy as well as those who care for them. I understand this - it is very frustrating to me that my cousin might still be alive today if the chemo and surgical options that are available now were available just six or seven years ago. I think about it often, and I definitely feel some resentment. But I believe that all of our challenge as survivors/caregivers/friends/family is to not take our personal frustrations about the past out on those who are able to benefit from things now. Farrah Fawcett, and anyone else who is facing any type of cancer, needs our support regardless of what is happening or what has happened to others.

6) LAST QUICK NOTE...
People with more money, better insurance, and better doctors often are better educated and have more medical choices than people without those things. It's not fair and I don't like it, but that is the reality. The best thing that we can all do for ourselves and for those we love is to educate ourselves about ALL of the treatment options for any illness. Knowing the options is the first (but certainly not the last!) step in getting the best care for you or for someone you love.

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

Abby

Postby Abby » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:01 am

Janb,

If you want I would be more than happy to e-mail the shows you have or attempt to make similar contact. Power is in numbers. Feel free to e-mail me and let me know. Husband diagnosed at 28 with stage IV colon cancer Aug. 2005. Keep fighting the fight.

-abby

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”