how to increase white blood cells

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
kbfmango

how to increase white blood cells

Postby kbfmango » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:27 pm

hello,
Does anyone know how to increase WBC count? My sister couldnt get chemo because of low WBC.

thanks,
Katherine

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:08 pm

Katherine,

The following drugs stimulate white blood cell production: Neupogen and Neulasta.

Holly

Christine

Postby Christine » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:11 am

It's very common to have treatment delayed due to low WBC. During my 6 months of Folfox with Avastin, I had 3 one week delays because of my white cells being low. My oncologist did not put me on any of the injections to increase the count. He wanted to wait and see if my body would bounce back on its own. Had I encountered delays more regularly, he would have put me on Neulasta.

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:35 am

They used Neulasta on me the first time mine were low and it bumped them up so high that I had to switch to Neupogen everyday for 10 days after the pump was removed until my next scheduled treatment. My oncologist told me that they have been having problems with Neulasta this way off and on for awhile now and that even though you had to have a shot everyday for 10 between chemo cycles, the Neupogen seemed to work much better. It sure did for me and because of it, I only had one week lag between one of my treatments!

Peg

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:53 am

I was placed on Neupegin. I have needles (very small and painless) for 5 days before treatment. These are very expensive and you should ensure they are covered. In Canada, they cost $3000 for 10 injections (not including supplies)

I don't experience any side effects. They say the younger you are the more side effects, but I am 34.

Here is the link for you to read up on: http://www.neupogen.com/pi.html

Good Luck
Sharon

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”