My 21 year old nephew in treatment for recurrence/stage IV

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
gloriann

My 21 year old nephew in treatment for recurrence/stage IV

Postby gloriann » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:01 pm

Can anyone out there relate to a 21 year old man who has been fighting stage IV colon cancer for two years. He is so depressed and having so many problems from the treatments. He needs someone to e-mail. :(
gloriann

Traybug

21!!!! Yikes!!!!

Postby Traybug » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:33 pm

Hi Gloriann!

Just when I thought my brother and everyone else on this board was at the ridiculously young end of this disease. My brother, recently diagnosed is 31 with stage IV. It's crazy, there are days that I get so mad...so it's cancer...but how can it be stage IV at such a young age???? And here your nephew is ten years younger than my brother!!! It is such a tough thing to ponder.

Anyway, although I myself do not have colon cancer (at least that I know of...I get a colonscopy this Friday), I have learned a lot from my brother's journey so far. I would recommend that you have your nephew check out this site. Majority of the people on here are under 50....most of whom I have spoken to are in their 20's and 30's. It is the only place that I have found such a collective, supportive group of people who can help answer questions are simply just relate to what he has been going through. It may simply help him to know that he is not the only one his age that is battling this.

Good Luck and keep us posted on his progress!

Tracey

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:30 pm

Hi there Gloriann,

Welcome to the Colon Club! I am so sorry to hear about your brother. There are so many young people on here with Colon Cancer. It is NOT the disease for 50 or older anymore at all!! You have come to the right place for support, encouragement, answers to questions and just plain ole friendship! Please feel free to email me or have your brother email me anytime. I am 51 and a stage IIIa Colon Cancer Survivor. I finished my Chemo 3 months ago and just had my first clean blood test!! One thing about Colon cancer I have found is it is VERY BEATABLE!! Read the posts by Stage IV Survivors and it will give you hope. We will all be praying for your brother and hope you have found a new home here with us in the Colon Club. Everyone here will help you and your brother anyway we can. You hang in there and keep us posted on your brother. He will be added to my prayer list for sure!

Hugssssssssssss Peg :D

Fishy-why can't i log in

Postby Fishy-why can't i log in » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:59 pm

i got sick weeks after graduating college and getting married at 23. i'm now close to 27 and still fighting. i've had countless chemos, okay,not countless, 43. i'm exhausted . i've had two major surgeries (one to remove right colon and one to take both ovaries and assorted lymph nodes, etc) . i'm in menopause, and i feel like i just finished puberty. :oops: i've stayed really positive for over 3 years, and i still am, but i'm getting tired. i feel like i'm just stuck waiting to start my life and hoping i get to have one.i know how your nephew feels. most people seem to either beat it and finish up chemo or they don't make it. i feel like i'm just hanging on constantly.i'm just sick of feeling like i'm 70 instead of 26.i've switched doctors twice, but seems like they just want to "make me comfortable" , they don't give hope for recovery. i have a strong desire to spite them and prove them wrong. yes, that's it, spite shall keep me alive.ha,ha. i really am postive, i'm just feeling a little fiesty today, bad day at the office. anyhow, i'll quit rambling and i hope your nephew cheers up.-p.s. is anybody out there in the portland, oregon metropolitan area???i could use a cancer buddy.

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:25 pm

Hey Fishy...I have to tell you that spite can be a wonderful thing. That's kinda where the Colossal Colon came from...and Rolling to Recovery...and in some ways, the Colondar too.

I was diagnosed with stage II on my 23rd birthday - not quite the same as stage IV - but I can tell you that I thought I was the only one. So did my doc. Boy was I wrong! Check out these message boards! There are so many of us out there, of every stage. Gloriann, your nephew isn't alone, and stage IV has changed so much! There's always hope. Please don't let anyone take that away.

Andrea

Stage IV and Tired

Postby Andrea » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:04 pm

Hi Gloria,
Your nephew can e-mail me if he'd like. I'm a 32 year old female who has been in treatment for stage IV colon cancer since July 04. I'm sick and tired of endless chemo rounds. I could relate to "Fishy" on waiting to get on with my life. I am constantly exhausted which can get depressing. I'm always wondering if I'm just hanging on or going to pull through. I recently recieved some bad news from a PET scan. Still, I must go on. I have 2 young daughters.
Andrea

CMeeks

Postby CMeeks » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:00 am

Dear Gloriann,

My name's Chet. I'm not 21, I'm 32. But I think I can relate to what your nephew is going through. While I'm not a spring chicken like he is I still feel really young, and way too young to be dealing with something so heavy.

I was diagnosed with Stage III colon cancer September 27 of this year. I just finished my first chemo round. I'm strong but only because there are so many strong people around me, holding me up, including all of the wonderful amazing people I've met on this board over the last few weeks. You can't imagine the advise and encouragement they've given me -- total strangers, but we're all connected.

Please tell your nephew to email me any time he wants, any time at all. Here's my private email: cmeeks@niu.edu

I'll be keeping you and your nephew in my thoughts,

Chet
Chet

Edward
Facebook Username: CoalRegionVoice

Invincible

Postby Edward » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:42 pm

Hi Gloria Ann,

I was diagnosed 3 years ago with Stage II at age 36. I have run into a 25-year old male that had more problems than I have. In his case as in mine, I think you end up loosing that feeling of being of invincible and have my whole life ahead of me. There is also denial. I have my whole life ahead of me and why is this happening? Because of denial and depression, you may not be asking all the questions you should be asking. I believe finding someone that could be an understanding friend rather than a parental figure might help. This may be his biggest problem he has a faced in his young adulthood and it may be depressing to treat him like an adolescent again. Hopefully this helps.
Livestrong,

Edward
Colon Cancer Class of 2002
http://www.coalregionvoice.blogspot.com/

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:34 pm

21 is young and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers! I am a 32 year old stage IV colon cancer survivor and encourage you and your nephew to be proactive in the management of your health! This is your life, ask questions and lots and demand answers!

This holiday season, I wish you a long, blessed life and holiday cheer throughout the year!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”