Is this normal?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
johnmeissner

Is this normal?

Postby johnmeissner » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:22 am

For the past couple of days, more so as I write this, I am feeling pain along the incision line. (I am 45 days after surgery)It's not REAL painful, but does hurt enough to be pretty uncomfortable. I feel like I'm having hot flashes and I get worn out more quickly than on a normal, pain-free day. I have to go to work today, then travel with my hockey team tomorrow. I will not let this be a problem, but perhaps I'm not as close to being 100% as I thought I was.

Is the pain along the incision line a normal part of healing? Are the other sensations I'm feeling normal as well? I had felt so well(other than tiring quickly after being too active, which I expected) for so long and now this. Before leaving Florida, my surgeon had said I should probably give it about another month before I start doing any heavy lifting. But, considering that I still start to feel uncomfortable when I don't wear my binder for awhile, perhaps I'm not going to be ready to lift heavy things(like my broadcast gear case-30 to 40 pounds) in another two weeks, which would be one month aftrer talking to my surgeon about that.

My hockey team has said they support me through the recovery process and not to put work ahead of my health(I am the team's radio broadcaster, not a player). That makes things easier, psychologically, but with it being a new job and all, besides one it took me three years to get, I don't want anything to happen to interfere with my work.

Thoughts, experiences, opinions are welcome and appreciated. I don't want to do something to set my recovery back, because it's been pretty good to this point.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Hi, I'm John. But you can call me NED! Meet our son Jimmy at http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/jimmymize/

Christine

Postby Christine » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:42 pm

My surgery was July 11 and I still have some pain. Most of the time it is minimal, but I still occassionally have to take Vicodin. I have talked to my surgeons and my oncologist and they are in agreement that it is being caused by the scar tissue. Apparently scar tissue breaks and reheals to smooth itself out and that can cause a lot of discomfort.

Have you talked to you surgeons about the pain?

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:01 pm

That makes sense. My wife has said more than once that the pain I have been experiencing has related to my incision healing. I haven't talked to a doctor yet, as we have moved cross country since my surgery and haven't found a new doctor yet. But with my wife securing full-time employment today with a health plan she can put me on, we can now get about the business of finding a doctor.

Thanks for your reply Christine. I look forward to others.
Hi, I'm John. But you can call me NED! Meet our son Jimmy at http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/jimmymize/

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:27 pm

I am 9 months out of surgery and have tenderness and pain occasionally around my incision sight. I agree with Christine that it is probably scar tissue pain. My doc told me that healing from surgery would be a good 3 month process. You are just 45 days out and still healing. You have had major internal changes and it will take time. Walking really helps.... give yourself time to heal and don't overdo (it's easy to do when you start feeling better). A doctor can check for possible hernias.

butrflies

having the same feeling

Postby butrflies » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:35 pm

Thanks John for the post. I've been having the same feelings down the incision area and sometimes inside where I think they reconnected my colon. I don't see my doc until Monday and figured it could wait till then but or just go away, at times my mind thinks "is something wrong".
What did you guys do for pants after surgery? I’m tired of wearing sweats and there is no way I could put jeans on cause it rubs to much, how long does this go on for? Should I go buy some drawstring pants?

Amy

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:30 pm

Hospital scrubs are key to a happy recovery. :)

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:33 pm

I wear(Don't get jealous Molly!) my hockey team track suit a lot.

I have not had much trouble at all wearing jeans, slacks or anything like that. I just have to be careful not to tighten my belt too much. And, with the weight loss association with my surgery, I've invested in a good quality pair of suspenders, which I wear to hold up my dress pants when I'm at work.

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:26 am

Hello all. My surgery was at the start of june, my surgeon advised that it would take 12 weeks for the muscles to heal properly (63 days) and mine is a lot better now. I can wear jeans ok even though i have this temp bag on. But i still get the odd twinge hear and there. Just part of it i suppose.

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:47 am

I think you put it pretty good Nick. It's all a matter of what you can tolerate. I was able to do okay with jeans right away, while others, whether with bags, ports, or what not(I was fortunate not to require a bag or anything) might not.

And I used to live in Birmingham too. Well, okay, it was the one in Alabama. :D

Maggie

Postby Maggie » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:00 pm

Hi!
It took me approx. 3 months to feel back to normal after my surgery. I do remember it taking me a while too before I felt comfortable wearing real pants, but I have to say, I found some cool semi "dressy" comfy pants to wear, so I enjoyed it for as long as possible!! I remember, right around the month/ month and a half mark, I was feeling a lot of weird firey pain. Almost like a shock or something. It kinda of felt like what I would imagine sticking my finger in a light socket or something. And it was random. It was my nerves regenerating. So it's quite possible that could be something else you are experiencing. Just be careful not to push yourself too much. If you're having a bad, take it slow and relax as much as possible. Listen to your body.
Maggie

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:40 pm

I'm six months out from surgery and still feel a little tender along the incision. I also feel some strange sensations inside from time to time. I really think I can feel the part of the colon that was removed, similar the the phantom limb pain that amputees feel. Sometimes the little twinges move around. I have trouble telling exactly where I feel them. None of it is really painful. Just a bit annoying.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”