starting antoher round

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Theresa

starting antoher round

Postby Theresa » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:37 pm

Hi Everyone: I have just started another round of chemo, now back to Folfori and after just 1 treatment, my neutrofils(not sure of spelling) have dropped to 1 and 2nd treatment had to be deferred. We are applying for neuprogen as we speak. It has been 3 months since finishing the Folfox but as the tumour on ovary has again increased, the docs have decided to give it another whirl with the Folfori. This is my third time around since July/05. Just curious as to whether anyone else has experienced the low neutrofils so early on. Have never been deferred during previous treatment. Any need to worry?

Thanks
Theresa

alihamilton

Postby alihamilton » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:56 am

From what I understand, it is OK to have breaks in treatment as long as the course can eventually be completed. My husband's chemo had to span out over a longer period of time because he had been weakened by complications during chemo/radiotherapy. He still completed though...in eight months instead of the expected six. He is doing well, three years later. I know you are anxious to get on with it but it is important that your body can tolerate treatment at the present time. Hope you get the neupogen!
Alison

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:39 pm

I was delayed from the first treatment. After round 5 I was finally on Neupegin and have been "on target" since. It is very frustrating to be delayed but the docs all told me it should not affect the outcome. Delays occur in trials and the prognosis does not change.

I have tolerated teh neupegin well only experiencing "bone pain" when I over did things.

One round left.....

Good luck.

missjv

Postby missjv » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:04 am

hi,
i was wondering why you havn't had the ovarian tumor removed? or is it not possible?

missjv

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:54 pm

Hi Theresa,

Don't worry, delaying your treatment for a little while will not hurt you!

Just FYI, at the CCA conference Dr. James Thomas talked about a study that showed that "breaks" in chemo do NOT affect long-term survival OR the time that disease progresses. From what I remember, the study was done with FOLFOX and FOLFIRI and the chemo-free time was a LONG time (like a few months, not just a delayed treatment or two).

The study was basically trying to see if patients with advanced disease who are on maintenance chemo could take "chemo vacations" without it affecting how long they lived. So it is a very different kind of "break" - but it is all good news!

Neutrophils are a specific type of white blood cells - which of course get attacked during chemo. It is pretty common to have low neutrophil counts, especially on irinotecan which is part of the FOLFIRI regimen you are getting. So don't worry, take a break, get your Neupogen. and then go back for chemo when your white blood cell counts get back up!

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

popcornkel

"returners"

Postby popcornkel » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:27 am

Theresa,
When I started chemo in Feb., my nurses gave me some information about Neulasta because they wanted to start me on it right away. It said that if you have had chemo before, you may be more vulnerable to neutropenia. That may be why you are experiencing it so quickly your third time around. I'm glad they are looking into the meds for you. Get some Motrin for the bone pain, and DON'T take hot baths or use hot pads - it makes it worse!
Kelley
Stage IIB Colon Cancer, dx 12/05, finished FOLFOX July 2006
Ewing's Sarcoma survivor since July 1990!
"Don't Waste Your Cancer"
http://www.desiringgod.com/library/fres ... 21506.html

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”