Isn't there another way?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
IssyP

Isn't there another way?

Postby IssyP » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:02 am

Hi everyone,

I know I'm dealing with rectal cancer and this isn't the right forum.....but I like the people here and think there is great advice shared here everyday. My questions is this......is surgery the only way to check lymph nodes? My dad was dx with rectal cancer and it is early on. The doc who performed the colonoscopy says he got rid of it all and would only do some radiation. The surgeon says that if they send him for radiation we'll never really know if the LN are involved only maybe when things get worse so surgery is the answer. They have given my dad's chances of having lymph node involvement at 10-15%......but.....the recovery from this surgery is painful with a colostomy and there is the risk that this bag could be permanent......can anyone relate? At first we thought yes get the surgery and get it all taken care of but now I don't know if the risks outweigh the odds....I can't even sleep over this!

Any feedback would be great! I feel like I'm losing faith......

Thank you

alihamilton

Postby alihamilton » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:22 am

I hope this forum is for rectal cancer too, or several of us will have to leave! I am sorry to hear about your father and can understand your concern and fears. This is a tough one. It seems that they are so sure the stage is early and therefore no lymph nodes are involved, that they feel the risks of surgery outweigh the benefits of being sure of no lymph node involvement. As far as I know, the only way to determine if there is lymph node involvemnent is to biospy any that look suspicious on a scan. I am wondering what your dad's general state of health is? The surgery is traumatic but most people recover well. My husband was told he would definitely have to have a bag, but did not, so that is not a certainty. It depends on whether the sphincter muscles can be preserved.

Maybe it would be good to have further discussions with your dad's medical team. It is always difficult making decisions like this. Do let us know what he decides to do. How does your dad feel about this?
Alison

musiclover

Postby musiclover » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:27 am

IssyP
You may want to do some research to see if you can find a surgeon that does Total mesorectal excision (TME). This is rectal surgery that is much less invasive, will leave your father intact and may give him just a temporary iliostomy. My friend had this surgery done - he was told there was no way to avoid the permanent bag. I found a surgeon here in Los Angeles who performed a miracle. The tumor was attached to his sphincter and the doctor was still able to do a temporary iliostomy.

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:27 pm

Hey Guys!

Just to let you know...this is a COLORECTAL place! :) We love anything and anyone colon-related...and last time I checked, that included rectums. :)

I'm so glad that you all found us!

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:22 am

Hi there. Mine was also in the rectum, tumour was removed without radio first. Guess thats maybe down to size?? but i have had had temporary illeostomy. a bit of a pain at first but you get used to it. All the best for dad. Nick

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”