any stage 4 with normal cea?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
missjv

any stage 4 with normal cea?

Postby missjv » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:22 am

hi,
when i was diagnosed my cea was 2, after 4 chemos it went to 3, now it is back to 2 and i have liver mets? dr said can't depend on cea, but why would they use it if they can't depend on it?

missjv

skier03

normal cea

Postby skier03 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:47 pm

Hi,

My CEA has been completely normal since I was diagnosed... Never above 1.7 or something like that. I was stage III c at diagnosis, and am now dealing with mets. My CEA still reads normal. My doctor said that this is just not a reliable or accurate measure for some people, but they check it anyway. I think probably just in case something weird happens or maybe because it's protocol. Either way, just know that it's not an accurate test or indicator for you.

Good luck!

Skier03

alihamilton

Postby alihamilton » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:20 pm

From what I understand with CEA levels, it is only used along with scans to check for recurrence. If it suddenly goes up alot, then a scan would be done to see what is happening, if anything. Other things can affect CEA so it is not reliable in itself. My husband has one every three months. It is very slowly rising but the last scan showed nothing. If it were to rise significantly, I would think he would get a scan before the year is up.
Alison

bossan

Postby bossan » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:45 pm

My CEA was 43 when diagnosed, stage iv, mets to liver and abdomen. After 8 chemo sessions, it was down to a 1, stayed there and started creeping up again. The doc stopped the CEA readings. She said chemo can raise them, as well as other things and they are no longer reliable.
I always worried about that anyway.

I'm sure if I were to go into remission AND the CEAs suddenly jump up, then it may be a sign that somethingis up. Otherwise, you have better ways to detect things.
How Beautiful Can A Being Be?
My Personal Forum: http://z8.invisionfree.com/colorectalk
My Story (scroll to the bottom of page 1) http://www.colonclub.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:46 pm

My Cea does bounce around sometimes. Guess different things can affect it. Oxyplatin is one drug that will also affects it. I do have mine taken every 3 mths also. I believe they are looking for a rise over several periods, or a sharp rise suddenly. I'm told some movement up and down is normal. Also, some people's cea will not move whether their cancer is active or not. Seems the cancer secrets something that is picked up in cea levels which is why they monitor it.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

JAZZToo

CEA

Postby JAZZToo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:32 pm

I read somewhere that a rise in CEA can predate a recurrence that is detectable by up to six months. Gee - that just gives us extra months to worry - but not be able to do a darn thing about it.

Leslie

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”