Introducing myself to the colon club

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
alihamilton

Introducing myself to the colon club

Postby alihamilton » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:57 pm

Hi, I am new here and looking forward to meeting current and new members here. Just a brief history. My husband, now 68 years old, was dx Stage 111C rectal cancer three years ago. He had a complicated surgery and took awhile to recuperate but started chemo soon after discharge from hospital as he was considered high risk for recurrence. He had eight months of chemo (5Fu/Leukovorin) and within that time, six weeks of radiotherapy in the UK as they did not at that time have radiotherapy here in The Bahamas. He had three admissions during the UK stay but was able to complete the chemo course upon our return home, though on a less intensive time frame. A year later he had a TURP operation to reduce his prostate which had caused him to have a catheter in throughout his cancer treatment.

Today, he looks wonderful! He works full time and has put on all the weight (and more!) that he lost during his illness. I have been recently dx with lymphoma (but that is another story!) and I am concerned my illness might result in a set back for him. I do hope not. He gets regular CEA level tests and a scan every year.

Well, that is my story! I hope it encourages others who may be either in treatment or recently diagnosed. It is horrendous and frightening at the time but it does get better. This too will pass.
Alison

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:20 pm

You live in the the Bahamas, I am SO JEALOUS !!! Welcome aboard, I believe I know your from that other board. You will find this to be a GREAT PLACE. I too had rectal cancer 2 1/2 yrs ago. Good luck with your lymphoma.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”