First Chemo Finished

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CMeeks

First Chemo Finished

Postby CMeeks » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

I finished my first chemo treatment. I wanted to stop on and say hi to all of you who gave me advise and wished me luck. I went in last Wednesday (they moved my apt. up a day) and had the four hour drip of leukovorin and oxalaplatin; then I took the bottle of 5-FU home with me for two days.

The first and second day, I felt a little tired, but that was it! I was amazed and so were my parents. The third day I had some nausea and vomitted once. Now the main problem seems to be constipation (sorry to be indelicate). But I have to say, compared to what I was imagining, I feel VERY lucky. I don't know if all of the treatments will be this smooth, but I'm just grateful to have one down and grateful to all of you who offered me support and advise. Thanks!!

Chet

P.S. If any one has experienced constipation on Folfox6 and has any tips, please let me know....it's getting to be a little annoying and painful.
Chet

Chemo

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:54 pm

Hi Chet
My name is Rochelle and I am on the Folfox4 treatment program. I also take the Leucavorin, Oxilaplatin and 5 FU, including Avastin-colon cancer Stage IV.

I had also experienced constipation and have finally found something to relieve it-Sunsweet dried plums (prunes actually). Since I have been taking 5 a day, I have had no problems.

Hope this helps, and continued success in your chemo treatments :wink:

Fishy-can't log in

first chemo

Postby Fishy-can't log in » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:02 pm

i'm glad everything went pretty smooth. the main thing to know is that the tiredness has a cumulative effect. i don't know if you work out or not, but working out has helped me a lot, i am able to bounce back a lot better from treatments. the main thing i've figured out is that zofran causes major constipation, i don't know if you're taking them or not. take plenty of senokot pills to help with the constipation. i also have to stop my iron pills for a few days or the constipation is insane. after a while, you won't need the zofran (antinausea) pills has much, and the constipation will decrease with the decrease of the antinausea pills.hope you keep doing good.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:37 pm

I'm glad things went well for you. I found the best remedy for the fatigue was resting. After a few days it seemed to go away and I could go to the health club. I exercised, but not as vigorously. My nurse practioner said to be careful with remedies for constipation, it can quickly go the other way. They told me the antinausea drugs were constipating. Usually about a week to 10 days after chemo I would get one or two rounds of very loose stools. They told me that was probably the lining of the intestines that the chemo caused to shed-it is supposed to do that. If diarreha (spelling?) becomes an issue, they want to know. There are plenty of meds for that. Try to keep a positive attitude and keep your life as normal as possible-it really helps.

Billy

Welcome to the club

Postby Billy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:27 pm

Chet,

Congrats on the first chemo. It's a bit daunting isn't it? You're probably the youngest person in the room and sometimes you feel like they're looking at you thinking "what are you doing here?". I agree with the comment about the constipation remedies, be careful. I had Leukovorin and 5F-U too and I want back and forth between not going and going too much. Keep up your fluid intake, Gatorade was my favorite. Also I experienced wierd food cravings, a lot of ice cream, which my mother also craved when she went through it. Anyway, good luck, and let me know if there is anything else you need.

Billy

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:28 pm

If you are getting oxalpalatin, be careful with ice cream. It makes you sensitive to cold. I found that I could sometimes eat ice cream the week after treatment, but even then I had to be careful to take small amounts. My food craving was fresh fruit-it could have been worse. Chemo usually affects your sense of taste and smell. Don't be surprised if some foods you normally like, taste funny or may not even have a taste. Some smells that you never noticed or never bothered you, may make you nauseous.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:57 am

Good Morning Chet,

I too suffered constipation my first two treatments. After the first two it turned to diaherria. If I had to choose between the two I'd chose the diaherria. The stool softners made me cramp so badly I chose not to use them at all. I did eat prunes and this helped a lot. Mostly I made sure to drink lots of fluids and eat a well balanced diet.

I had food cravings too.....sweets. For some reason, no matter how much I ate during fulfox treatments I never gained any weight even though I managed to eat pretty well throughout the treatment. Actually had to struggle to keep the weight on. I was unable to eat or drink anything cold throughout the treatment. Also, the doc's forbid me to eat fresh fruit or vegetables saying it made me vulnerable to bacteria unseen by the human eye. I missed salad's the most.

The fatigue and side effects resulting from fulfox got worse as time went on. My first treatment seemed to go so well I thought that was it, but actually as time went on the side effects became more apparent. On my sixth treatment I had a severe allergic reaction. Keep track of your symptons and be sure to tell the nurses and the doc everything you are going through.

I would say attitude is everything when doing chemo. As you can see from being on this site it is possible to get through chemo and survival does exist. No matter how sick or tired I felt I still got up everyday with a smile on my face, got dressed and did as much of my normal routine as possible. It does help to keep moving.

Good Luck and keep us in the loop on your progress.....okey dokey!

Mary

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:52 am

Chet,

I just remembered something else I ate that helped tremendously with the constipation. My husband would make pots of beans.....red beans & sausage with a pot of rice on the side........navy bean soup with ham. Beans are good for you and are full of fiber.

Happy eating,

Mary

CMeeks

Postby CMeeks » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:52 pm

Mary, Billy, Rochelle, Everyone

Thanks so much for your advise. I'll try anything once and more than once if it works, for sure. I've already bought some prunes per your suggestion Rochelle.

I have noticed that my nose is more sensitive. I live in an apartment bldg with 8 other apartments and when you leave you can smell whatever anyone in the bldg is cooking. Sometimes I have to hold my breath until I get downstairs. It's not that what people are cooking smells bad per se, just the sensation of smelling anything which is really annoying.

I have chemo treatments every other week, and I can tell you one thing: the weeks I'm not doing chemo are HEAVEN!! I enjoy every second.

Thanks for leaving me such kind wishes and I'll be thinking of all of you.

Chet
Chet

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:40 pm

Chet,

Way to go! Keep smiling and enjoying your off time! And the tulips...little mister? Know that you are in my thoughts and prayer!

edinaman

Postby edinaman » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:48 pm

Chet, I remember when I was starting chemo, I told the onc I was expecting to be sick for the next 6 months. He said "don't even think that-treat this as a disruption in your life". Everyone reacts differently to the chemo drugs, but usually you can go on with a fairly normal life-just listen to your body. If you are tired, rest. One thought that got me through chemo was from others who had been through it and said there is life after chemo. Also, I got a portable DVD player. Watching movies during chemo helped pass the time.

CMeeks

Postby CMeeks » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:52 pm

Hi Edinaman,

Thanks!! I feel pretty lucky that my first treatment went pretty well....felt like having a bit of the flu. I don't have any delusions that #2-12 will be a parade, but I do feel optimistic. Reading this board always makes me feel optimistic. I do have a little bit of trouble listening to my body, like you suggested. I've just never been sick, that's all....so I have to be more patient with myself.

#2 is tomorrow. Thanks for your advise and good health to you.

Chet
Chet

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:40 pm

Hey Chet,

Just thought I send you a line and see how you are feeling? I read that you are having a sensitivity to cooking smells. I did the same thing...Ran holding my breath. There was no cooking at my house! Is your family still in town? I hope that this note arrives with you in good spirits! Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

edinaman

Postby edinaman » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:40 pm

Chet, now that the weather is turning cold, be careful going outside. Oxalpalatin makes you sensitive to cold. Last winter while I was on chemo, it was the first time I wore a hat and scarf. You know, it wasn't so bad. I didn't realize how a scarf kept you warm. I remember going out on a cold, windy day and felt like my eyelids and nose were frozen-they really weren't, but Oxalpalatin can make it feel like the parts exposed to cold don't move. The onc said I may feel some residual effects this winter. Keep thinking positive and let us know how things are going.

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:21 am

Hi Chet,

One quick note on constipation (and don't worry about being delicate here!) - if it doesn't clear up, please talk to your doctor. There are "chemo helper" drugs for some side effects, and constipation is one of them. There is no need for you to be miserable with this!

Also, in addition to the things mentioned here, there is this paste that you can make that I've heard about over on the ACOR listserv. I'm going to post two versions of it in a new topic!

:)Hannah

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”