I have been ...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:46 am

A warm welcome to everyone who has jumped ship!!!

Phil in Az

Postby Phil in Az » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:09 am

HA!

I just got this message from the Gestapo:

"Your account has been suspended for the following reason:
inappropriate post" I merely posted the same post over there as i did here.

It is my opinion that they are engaging in intelectual irresponsibility. THat board could be so much more yet they insist on getting caught up on the creration and enforcement of petty policies that do nothing but detract from they boards usefulness.

Ahh well.

-phil

gocatsgo

Postby gocatsgo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:31 am

Phil,

We were wondering where you were...glad we have found you over here. Yeah, I am quite confused about the rules over there. It is crazy... now you have been banned twice! :)

How are you doing? What is your current health status?? Are you finished treatment?

Wishing you well...
Cats

Phil in Az

Postby Phil in Az » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:29 pm

cats,

You can chalk my absence up to good ol' chemo-brain. This summer proved to be a lot more of a challenge (thanks to cancer/chemo) than i thought it would be. I had to battle some demons, get on an antidepressant, get some counselling etc etc... But now things are much better, just ask my wife!!!

I have completed 8 out of 12 chemo rounds w/ very minimal side effects. a little diahrea and fatigue mostly. If all would go on schedule i'd be done w/ chemo in mid november.

However - I got a scare yesterday when getting my oxiliplatin. All of a sudden my face turned red as a tomato, my hands, mouth, and feet became incredibly itchy, and i developed red blotches all over. So they stopped all the chemo, gave me saline, benadryl, and a steriod all of which made a HUGE difference within 15-20 minutes or so.

But now that i had this allergic reation to the oxi, i don't think they're give it to me anymore. I meet w/ my onc next monday to see where we go from here. So much for being done w/ chemo by Thanksgiving.

The good things are that my blood counts are all good. WBC's got low for a while, nothing to be concerned about. And my CEA has been at 0.4 for months now.

And you?

-philly

gocatsgo

Postby gocatsgo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:29 pm

Phil,

I am sorry you have had so many ups and downs (or a lot of downs, I suppose!). Looks like the end is near - which feels great, take it from me!

I am doing OK now, but it has been a rough road for me as well. I too had a folfox reaction back in March (got left sided numbness/weakness that was a warning sign for stroke- YIKES) so we stopped that. I then took Xeloda, which I tolerated pretty well until July 4th. On July 20th I had the reversal...July 31 got a blockage and got VERY sick - had a bad reaction - taken by ambulance blah blah...ended up on TPN...they finally went back in on September 1 and found I my connection site was about the size of a pin hole and that I also had a kink just up from that so they took out another five or so inches. Was finally released from the hospital and able to eat again on September 12. Good news is that my CEA is low, and CT and colonoscopy in July were clear. It has been a long and trying road, but I am happy to be doing well now. Other then a port infection last week things are going pretty well here...

In the middle of this my brother was diagnosed w/a T4 squamous cell carcinoma of the tonsils...very rare as he is a healthy, nonsmoker/nondrinker. He is going today for treatment 3 of 7 and has seven weeks of painful radiation concurrently. It has been a rough year for my family - (Dad had a quintuple bypass two weeks after my diagnosis, too!)

I am wishing you well as you end your treatment. Maybe they will try you w/just the 5FU or even the Xeloda. I ended up doing a few extra treatments w/the Xeloda since I tolerated it so well, which hopefully made up for the lack of the Ox... Fingers crossed.

Take care of yourself!
Cats

alihamilton

Postby alihamilton » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:25 pm

Hi Phil, it is good to hear from you and that you are pretty well advanced in your treatments. That must have been scary today! At least you have had quite alot of oxaliplatin, so if you have to stop, then I would not worry too much. It may well have already done its work. You have to weigh up the advantages with the dangers of not being able to tolerate it anymore. It may be your body saying "Enough!" Hope the rest of your treatments go well. Keep us posted.
Alison

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:36 pm

Phil in Arizona,

Hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking this question and I will understand if you chose not to answer me. Where do you in in Arizona? I live in Chandler, Arizona.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Mom2nTn

Oxi

Postby Mom2nTn » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:06 pm

My oncologist made the remark to me when we were discussing what sort of chemo I'd get, that very few people make it through all 12 cycles with the oxaliplatin.

She's already going to be reducing mine due to really rough side effects.

Carol B

Phil in Az

Postby Phil in Az » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:09 pm

Hey Lee,

I live down in the town of Maricopa. It's about 25 miles straight south of Ahwatukee. My wife and i lived on Chandler Blvd & 32nd street for a while prior to moving down here.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:14 pm

Phil,

Wow, small world. I know where Maricopa is. We live just south of Chandler Blvd, between Rural and Kyrene. Maybe someday, we can hook up and share our cancer stories.

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:23 am

Hi guys, just regarding the oxaliplatin, are any of you on a combined treatment with the above mentioned and xeloda???

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:27 am

Nick,

If I understand correctly, I believe that Xeloda works the same as 5FU. It is suppose to be an easier way to get the 5FU (pill vs. IV pack). I had Oxyplatin, 5FU, Lucorovin, and a Bova push for 6 mths about 2 yrs ago. When I had chemo, Xeloda was not an option because it was more expensive and my insurance would not cover it.

Good luck,

Lee
46 yrs old at diagnoses
radiation - 6 weeks
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX

Phil in Az

Postby Phil in Az » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:30 pm

Sounds good lee.

Ruth6:11

Postby Ruth6:11 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:15 pm

This is wonderful!!
It's so good to see all of you - like a Family Reunion only one that you really enjoy!!
CDad, you're the Best!
Ruthie
(an angel emoticon goes right here!)

tahb

Postby tahb » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:39 pm

Finally found ya all. :-) I am kinda sad after reading Tony Snow's report and so was looking for you all

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”