Mesentary Metasteses

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CMeeks

Mesentary Metasteses

Postby CMeeks » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:58 pm

hi all,

I had my appt. with the onco yesterday and discovered that the belly button met I told some of you about a while ago actually arises in my mesentary in the lower left quadrant by my bladder and sigmoid colon.

The doctor says that at this point, the mass is inoperable. Apparently it is difficult to remove large masses from the mesentary, given all the blood vessels and such that are there. So the current plan of attack is to try to reduce the size of this thing with chemotherapy (folfir and avastin) and then go from there.

i'm wondering if anyone has had experience with mesentary masses and if this course of action seems appropriate, reasonable, etc.

Thanks everyone,
chet
Chet

meighan

Postby meighan » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:28 pm

hi Chet, I have followed some of your posts as my husband is a stage III with 4 lymph nodes and was operated on in april. I don't know regarding the best course of action for you at this time though i know they do use chemo and radiation to shrink tumors so that does not seem unreasonable. Plus they do know it is colon cancer cells correct??? so we know these drugs have a good history of fighting these cells.My biggest concern for you is that didn't i just read in the spring you had clear scans ??I am no expert so i don't know if this is common and i do know it is a concern for my husband as well so i have tried to think what would i do if we were in your shoes..... Is this something that there was no sign of in previous cat scans??I would want a second opinion on those old scans as to if they missed something as our first GI doctor did (which we wouldn't have known if we hadn't gone to Sloan) what i am trying to say is if your doctor missed something i would want to remove him from any further decision making. I never want to come off like i know exactly what to do as we all are trying, of course, to get the best care we can.As for us sloan in NYC and the treatments offered there were much broader then in our local hospital such as hepatic ports and open radiation during surgery so if i were you i would want to know if i was eligible for something more aggressive. If you haven't talked to one of the larger cancer centers i would do so now.We found talking to sloan they could also give more definitive answers to what was happening interpereting our cat scans where it seemed more like guess work for our GI doctor here.I also found their approach offered more treatment options and they are used to younger colon cancer patients. I can see you have been very proactive in your care, I wish you all the best and know you are in my thoughts so please keep us posted.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”