financial help

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Fishy

financial help

Postby Fishy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:54 pm

hi, i have been sick since june 2002(stage 4) and i have been working full time the whole time. i'm starting to really need a break from work. i feel like all i do is go to work, go to gym, and sleep. i'm 26 and find it impossible to get financial help. no help from family. i make decent money, but by the time i pay all my medical expenses, i'm always broke. i looked into disablilty, and all i can get is 850 a month, i can't survive on that.i've checked with several organizations, and i can't get help because i have no dependents and my income is too high.anybody have any suggestions or advice? it would be much appreciated. :roll:
Jenny Fish

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:36 pm

Hi, just wanted to let you know that though I don't have any answers for you, I do feel for you. I had cancer in 2000, but every year I need a colonoscopy and to see my oncologist (it was more often the first two years). When I had cancer 5 years ago, my parents didn't have wonderful insurance (seemed like barely, they are both self insured). I am still paying from my surgery 5 years ago, never the less my constant check ups and other health problems since (6 months ago I had my third shoulder surgery, seperate problem all together). To make matters even worse, since I was only 21 when I had cancer, that propmts all sorts of over the top (I guess maybe in just my mind) tests for something as small as a cold or being tired and stressed. Anyways, I don't mean to whine about it, but just wanted to let you nkow that I nkow how you feel and understand how rough it is starting out and dealing with medical bills as well!
Good luck and hope all goes well. Good luck and congrats on being cancer free as well!
Maggie

Financial Help

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:00 pm

Jen,

I can appreciate the expense of medical bills, yikes! In regard to financial help. May I suggest:

1. Your doctor appointments. Talk to the billing administrator and ask if you can make an repayment plan.

2. Do you have insurance? You may be able to negotiate a better plan with both your medical team and with your insurance company.

3. Combine your support services. Have your laboratory tests drawn in office with your treatment so that you are not charged for multiple collection and facility charges.

4. Prescription and drugs expenses: Check your billing statements and make sure that your chemotherapy drugs are billed in conjunction with your office visit. Find out who manufacturers both your chemotherapy medications and your prescription medication. Many manufacturers offer either discount or free medication to those who qualify. Send me a message with your email and I can provide you direct website addresses.

5. Gas. The American Cancer Society offers gas cards. You can find your local ACS office by visiting www.cancer.org

I hope these will get you started. Should you have specific questions, please feel free to send me a line. I may not have the answer but will sure try to help guide you in the right direction.

Good Luck and please know you are in my thoughts and prayers! Congratulations on your survivorship! This holiday season, I wish you a long, blessed life and holiday cheer throughout the year!

tamfigg

Financial help

Postby tamfigg » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:51 pm

I run an non-profit organization in ST. Louis for Colon Cancer and we help with finances of those that have been diagnosed with Colon Cancer. Please e-mail me at figgtree@hotmail.com and visit our site at www.figgtree.com. We offer a grant program.

Tammy Figg

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”