KRAS Wild To A KRAS Mutation After 3 Years!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
camicom
Facebook Username: david galloway

KRAS Wild To A KRAS Mutation After 3 Years!

Postby camicom » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:33 pm

Hello,

I am 3 years into my Stage 4 diagnosis, and have been doing Folfox with Cetuximab, due to me being KRAS wild. The results have been really positive other than the rash. My CEA is back into normal range, and tumors are calcifying. Just stopped Folfox and have been doing Cetuximab and Xeloda. Just took my 3rd Myguardant liquid DNA test for mutations and markers, my tumor burden started at 6% ln the first, went to .6% on the 2nd and now is at 1.6% on the 3rd. My doctor called me to give me the results and also let me know that the test is showing 3 new KRAS mutations with low %, but nonetheless they are there. If this is the case, then the cetuximab is useless and it the FOLFOX that is causing the good results again. He was shocked that my tumors mutated 3 years into treatment.

Have any of you had the same thing happen? I would appreciate any infomation.

Thanks again:)
6/17 Colonoscopy 5cm Malignant Neoplasm in Transverse Colon
CEA 1.2
Stage 3A
BRAF Neg
11/23 CT scan showed multiple Liver Mets
12/03 MRI showed 35 Liver mets largest being 2cm many very small Not resectable
12/10 CEA 4.5nl
12/11 Port Placement
12/12 Liver Biopsy confirming tumor same type as before
12/17 Started FolFox with Avastin
3/21 MRI Showed average 40% shrinkage and tumor inactive or dead
4/15 Started 4000mg daily of Xeloda as Maintenance
6/24 CT scan showed no growth, everything stable

Bpaint

Re: KRAS Wild To A KRAS Mutation After 3 Years!

Postby Bpaint » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:38 am

My husband’s oncologist told us it is common for the cancer to mutate like that. My husband’s been using Vectibix off and on, and his oncologist has said it is likely his cancer will develop a kras mutation to resist the medication eventually.
husband (age 41 at dx):
8/20 CRC Stage 4. Mets to lungs, liver, distant lymph nodes
MSS, KRAS wild
CEA 713 at dx
Folfox (12 rounds)
Liver, colon and node resection 4/21
New lung mets, Vectibix monotherapy started 6/21
Stop Vectibix lungs stable about 6 months; all other areas stable
Start Folfiri + avastin 1/22
Stop Folfiri (lungs stable 6 mos); start Vectibix 7/22
Stop Vectibix 12/22 (lungs stable 5 mos this time)
SBRT on lung Mets scheduled for 1/22, will restart Folfiri

GrouseMan

Re: KRAS Wild To A KRAS Mutation After 3 Years!

Postby GrouseMan » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:24 pm

Not a surprise at all about the mutations. Mets often have different set of mutations than the Primary and even among themselves. I read a paper more than 16 years go on this subject I think it was. Hence the reason for multiple drug cocktails. I would stick with the Cetuximab (a monoclonal Antibody to EGFR) until there is no benefit from it as far as can be determined. I suspect it's still effective on that larger percent of cancer cells that are still KRAS wild. Do they know specifically what KRAS mutation you have? There are KRAS mutations that activate and a few that are still susceptible to an EGFr inhibitor I believe. Cetuximab is acting on the cells further down the signaling pathway from KRAS. You could be lucky and have the one Kras mutation that has a drug available to inhibit it.

My wife was KRAS wild but they didn't add Erbitux until after exhausting the standard FolFox, FolFiri, with added Avastin added to both. She tolerated chemo well. Erbitux seemed to work for several months as far as we could tell keeping her CEA in the normal range that is until it started to creep up. Using imaging to monitor cancer status was difficult as it hard to see the tumors developing in her Peri cavity and these typically are not as sensitive to chemotherapy (or for that matter surgery). Her liver Mets were well calcified, and her oncologist thought for all intents and purposes were dead. Spleen mets completely disappeared. It was in the final couple of months that these became large enough to visualize on scans and they more or less took over and ended up causing blockage of her colon from the outside and ureter from her kidney to her bladder. Up until the last month she had a good quality of life despite nearly 4 years of chemo. I personally think had they added Erbitux early on, she might have avoided the Peri Mets. YMMV.

Good luck in your journey

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”