NOSE BLEEDS

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
missjv

NOSE BLEEDS

Postby missjv » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:50 am

HI,
ANYONE EXPERIENCE NOSE BLEEDS ON CHEMO? JUST MY LEFT NOSTRIL BLEEDS AT NIGHT SOMETIMES JUST STARTED RECENTLY AND I HAVE HAD 5 CHEMOS WITH 5FU, OXALIPLATIN, AND AVASTIN. IT IS NOT A BIG DEAL JUST ANNOYING SOMETIMES AND I HAD TO THROW MY FAVORITE PILLOW AWAY.

MISSJV

suzieh

Postby suzieh » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:00 am

I started have nosebleeds after about treatment 4, platelets were very low and this continued until after chemo was finished. Like you it seemed to happen a lot at night but then it did start randomly later in the treatment cycle. I stayed attached to a box of tissues. Good luck

Becca

Postby Becca » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:37 pm

I had the same issues while on Ful-Fox. From what I understand the Avastin causes the blood to thin & can be the reason for the nosebleeds. Check with your Dr. or nurse nest time you go for chemo. :)

michele

Nose bleeds

Postby michele » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:33 pm

I believe that nose bleeds are quite common with the Folfox. My mom didn't have many, but I did with my chemo. She was also on folfox, but my treatment added the avastin to the mix since I had more lymph node involvement than her. I also had issues with my platelets being low. So, I think mine was a combo of low platelets and Avastin.

But, definitely let your doc know.

Good luck. From reading your posts, you have a great spirit. I pray your treatments continue well.

michele
Diagnosed Dec 2005 stage 3C
LAR Dec 2005
Mom finished chemo for stage 3B Jan 2006
I had chemo Feb 2006-Aug 2007
Currently NED

Bryan Pettit

Nosebleeds

Postby Bryan Pettit » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:51 am

Had'em, too..............used either mentholated vaseline (applied CAREFULLY with a Q-tip) to keep my sinuses moisturized; or used OTC saline mist inhalers. Still using the saline, no more bleeding. 3 months post-FOLFOX, 11 months post-op; stage III. Stay tough........Bryan.

Bryan S

Postby Bryan S » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:00 pm

There is a product called Nosebleed QR that I keep around in case I get a bleed. It is a brown powder you put on a special Q-Tip and it usually works pretty well. It is hard to find you may need to ask the pharmacist to order it for you.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”