Camtosar

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CMeeks

Camtosar

Postby CMeeks » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:08 pm

Hi everyone,

i'm learning about therapies for recurrences and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this drug (which I'm probably spelling incorrectly.....also called irinotecan, I believe).

i'm wondering what the side effects are and what people's experiences have been like. also wondering how the treatment usually is administered (every 2 wks, etc.)?

thanks for any info.

chet
Chet

KSKS

camptosar

Postby KSKS » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:48 pm

I am currently on Camptosar. I receive it (200mg, I think) every two weeks along with Avastin. I have had problems with nausea, diarrhea and have lost my hair. They gave me Aloxi the past two times to help with the nausea and it did the trick. The diarrhea is somewhat manageable with Imodium and Lomotil. The hair loss has not been fun. I will have a CEA check tomorrow to see if it is working. I certianly hope it is after all of this. You may not have the same side effects as I have had.

Becca

Postby Becca » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:20 pm

Hi Chet. I had the same experiance as above... nausea, diarrhea, hair loss. I only had 4 treatments with it. I had started out on the FUL-FOX, but became allergic to the Oxyloplatin & made the switch. I found the side effects of Captosar MUCH EASIER to deal with than the Oxyloplatin if you've ever been on that.

CMeeks

Postby CMeeks » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:37 pm

Dear Becca and KSKS,

Thanks for your responses.....just trying to get a sense of what this drug is and how it works. Thank you.

Best wishes to you both,

Chet
Chet

Brad

Postby Brad » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:23 pm

Hi Chet,
I had 6 months of camptosar. I was on the FOLFIRI regimen. THat's 5-fu, leucovorin, camptosar/irroteecan plus avastin. I had treatment every other week. It was a 4 to 6 hour infusion at the cancer center and then i took my man purse home for 46 hrs of 5-fu drip. I had a few problems with nausea the day of treatment and the next day along with extreme fatigue. By the time I took my man-purse back I was feeling pretty good, in fact sometimes I would go and play golf after they un-hooked me. My hair thinned some, but was not really noticeable. I found the treatment very tolerable. i felt like I had it much better than the folks on oxaliplatin.

Good Luck
Brad

kpbruinfan

Postby kpbruinfan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:04 am

Hello all,

I am receiving the same treatment regimen as Brad mentioned in his response. Yesterday was my very first treatment so I was happy to find a posting regarding how people have felt and what side effects they've incurred. I have about 28 hours left with my man-purse (as Brad called it) and I've had some minor nausea which I've combatted with Compazine and some plain toast. Yesterday I got the sweats from the irinotecan but the Aloxi and Decadron seemed to combat any nausea I had then. I've mostly felt like a have a minor cold coming on with a headache and some muscle aches and a general feeling of lethargy.

I'm excited to see what happens come Friday when I'll be off the regimen for 20 hours or so and how quickly I can get to feeling fairly "normal".

If anyone can offer any helpful hints to coping or if I can help you out in any way please let me know.

May God be with you and bless you all.

Ed

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”