Difficult Recovery after Ileorectal Anastomosis

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
fight4life

Difficult Recovery after Ileorectal Anastomosis

Postby fight4life » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:58 am

Hi,

I had my surgery (ileorectal anastomosis) on 3/15/2021. The surgery went well. However my intestine and stomach were slow to wake up. I was released from the hospital on 3/23/2021. After two days at home, I developed severe vomiting and was readmitted to the hospital. The CT showed that there was no leakage at the anastomosis but the stomach was not sending food to the intestine. In the hospital, I was given TPN, yet the vomiting continued. I was released from hospital on 3/31/2021 and a home health service was requested for the TPN administration. On 4/2/2021, the vomiting stopped suddenly and I started to take solid food.

I would expect my condition to improve steadily after that. It is not the case obviously. Some days are better than others. I tried to pinpoint what food is causing the problem without much success. I am also wondering if the ileus can come and go randomly. I had several major surgeries before. None of them were so difficult. I read some papers and learnt that the ileorectal anastomosis could be troublesome for certain people.

I would like to hear some suggestions from those who had the same experience.

Thanks,

fight4life

del

Re: Difficult Recovery after Ileorectal Anastomosis

Postby del » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:51 am

Sorry to hear what you are going through. If you are still experiencing symptoms, I think it warrants a call to your surgeon, just in case something else is going on like adhesions or some other blockage.
Male, 33 @ dx, stage 1 RC (T1N0M0 mod. diff. 0/29 LNs)
2016-02 - Cancerous polyp removed during colonscopy, 0.5 mm margin
2016-03 - ULAR & TME surgery, temp ileostomy
2016-04 - DVT, pulmonary embolism
2016-11 - Ileostomy reversal
2018-10 - Another DVT & PE
2021 - 5 years of clean scopes/scans/bloods

fight4life

Re: Difficult Recovery after Ileorectal Anastomosis

Postby fight4life » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:54 pm

Thank you, Del! I am doing much better now! I found that Activia yogurt is really helpful.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”