Chronic Abdominal Pain following Partial Colectomy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ron76

Chronic Abdominal Pain following Partial Colectomy

Postby ron76 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:18 pm

Hi! Although I realize this support forum is primarily for people with colon cancer, I thought I might be able to get some help because the problem results from a partial colectomy.
In early December, I underwent a laparoscopic partial colectomy for colonic inertia following failed trials of diet, Miralax, Linzess, Trulance, Amitiza and Motegrity. I had significant pain and basically no bowel movements unless I used magnesium citrate for 2 days which I would do after 2 weeks.
The surgery was complicated by an ileus which developed, although it seemed to resolve after 10 days in the hospital.
Since the surgery I have been experiencing daily abdominal pain in a band just below my navel with aching and cramping components, some gas. It tends to be less in the AM and worse in late afternoon and evening. My bowel movements tend to be small, soft and formed and occur in 2-4 very small amounts daily and require some straining. I have had repeat CT scans which appear normal except for some gall bladder "sludge". I have just had a gall bladder scan although the pain is not characteristically gall bladder like – awaiting results. My surgeon also did a "short" colonoscopy which appeared normal. I have been keeping a food diary but there is not a strong correlation with particular foods. I have been taking Colace twice daily. We retried Trulance two months after the surgery but it produced severe diarrhea for several hours so didn't continue it. Benefiber increased pain but I am thinking of trying an insoluble fiber like Citrucel. Also considering a retrial of Miralax but worried about gas or cramping as a side-effect. I have been drinking a lot of water, tried exercising but not a lot of help so far. I also use a heating pad which helps some. Trying to avoid use of pain medications or antispasmodics because of their constipating effects. Although I do not have diarrhea, nausea, vomiting or excessive amounts of gas, I did raise the possibility of SIBO with my gastroenterologist but he is not doing breath testing for SIBO right now because of COVID. Since it has now been over three months since the surgery, I feel worn down and discouraged by the daily pain. I would appreciate any thoughts anyone might have or shared experiences with this. Thank you!

Gravelyguy

Re: Chronic Abdominal Pain following Partial Colectomy

Postby Gravelyguy » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:58 pm

Hi Ron,

Sorry you are going through this. I am not sure I can be of any help but I have gone through some similar stuff. I had a gall bladder attack just over a year after my surgery. They ended up taking it out. It was very painful but up under my rib cage so higher than what you are experiencing.

I take a good probiotic at higher than maintenance dosage and that seems to keep me pretty regular.

I am a few years post surgery and things continue to get better. Hope you can get to the bottom of the pain!

Dave
6/17 dx mRC t3n1m1 very low rectal tumor 2 liver Mets 1.3 cm and .9 cm

6/17 begin 4 rounds Folfox w/Vectibix
9/17 short course radiation
10/17 rectal and liver resection LAR with coloanal anastomosis (no rectum left)
11/17-3/18 8 rounds Folfox
6/18 still NED!! Takedown
8/28/18 still NED! CEA .8 new low for me
10/18/18 colonoscopy clear
12/12/18 CEA .9 still NED!
6/11/19 CEA 1.0
12/19/19 CEA 1.0 still NED!
6/17/20 CEA 1.1 still NED!
12/15/20 CEA 1.1still NED!
12/16/21 CEA 1.2 still NED!

I_will_fight

Postby I_will_fight » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:29 am

Not sure I can help,

My surgeon told me that when they do a partial colectomy they need to "mobilize" a large portion of the bowel and pain can appear even far from the resected area.

I got some dull pain towards the right side of my abdomen even though my surgery resected the left side of my colon. (so I get worried about liver ... but that is a different story)

Regarding constipation I certainly had difficulties for the two weeks following surgery but improved after that.

I have a small hernia from the surgery but I am otherwise quite OK. Doctor advised me against putting on weight as this would put more pressure in the hernia...so I am exercising regularly.

Maybe someone can contribute something better... this forum is a bit slow, but people are helpful.

Best regards

JC
46 yo male Spain
06/2020 - 6cm T3N0M0 CC splenic flex
3 and 4 mm lung ground glass
lymp 0/37
dMMR MSH6
KRAS mt G13D
V/LNI absent
PNI present
07/20 - hemicol surg, optimistic surgeon.
11/20 - 4 x CAPOX completed.
12/20 - Clear colonoscopy
02/21 - MRI liver lesion unchanged.
11/21 - Clear CT
02/22- Colonoscopy: Sessil polyp 3mm
05/22- Clear CT
06/22- Negative Signatera
12/22- Negative Signatera
01/23- Clear CT
07/23- Clear CT, normal markers.
09/23 - Negative Signatera
01/24 - Clear CT

ron76

Postby ron76 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:21 am

Thanks for your support

Green Tea

Postby Green Tea » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:39 am

ron76 wrote: .. Since it has now been over three months since the surgery, I feel worn down and discouraged by the daily pain. I would appreciate any thoughts anyone might have or shared experiences with this. Thank you!

Ron -
I'm sorry to hear about your continued problems with pain and bowel distress. It's quite a long ordeal to endure. I don't have any relevant experiences of my own to share, but there are some sources of information here and elsewhere that you might find of interest -- if you have not already run across them before:

Last edited by Green Tea on Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ron76

Postby ron76 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:51 am

Thank you for all the resources.
I will look through all the posts.

To answer your questions:
The diagnostic evaluation for the colonic inertia included a colonoscopy (showed a tortuous/redundant colon, removed 2 polyps), a Sitz marker test (no rings passed further than the transverse colon after 5 and then 7 days),
an MRI of the pelvic floor (normal) and rectal manometry (mostly normal but some rectal tension).
The surgery removed the first 2/3 of the colon leaving about 12" with an ileal anastomosis to the remaining colon.
I don't know that there was a pathological examination done since cancer was not a concern.

ron76

Postby ron76 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:55 am

One other reply.
The laparoscopic incisions included a small incision above the navel and a larger incision below the navel

ron76

Postby ron76 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:04 am

With regards to diet- I was on low residue after the surgery then a "normal" diet after 6 weeks.
I am currently following a gluten free and lactose free diet.
I have tried increasing fiber with Benefiber (caused pain) have recently started Citrucel as insoluble fiber instead.
I have tried adding more fiber foods to the diet.
I have restricted dairy and high fat foods.
I am eating in small amounts.
I did lose 30 lbs (20 lbs before the surgery and 10 lbs after)
I haven't been able to regain weight but I suspect that is because my calorie intake is low due to limiting food intake because of the pain.
Thanks again

Green Tea

Postby Green Tea » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:23 pm

ron76 wrote:Thank you for all the resources...

You're welcome.

If you need more resources, just post another message. Take care ...

ron76

Postby ron76 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:44 am

I have been reading about the use of antidepressants for visceral hypersensitivity, in my case post partial colectomy.
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with use of the antidepressants for chronic pain following partial colectomy.
I know that they use low doses of the tricyclics like amitriptyline but given that I tend toward constipation and the TCA's can cause constipation, I have been considering a trial of duloxetine(Cymbalta) an SNRI which might be helpful.
Has anyone had experience with this?

ron76

Postby ron76 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:49 pm

Hi everyone! I thought I would give you an update since may last post. I have been continuing to struggle with abdominal pain since my partial colectomy for colonic inertia in early December.
Since I tend toward constipation, I tried adding Citrucel with minimal improvement (previously Benefiber made my pain worse), then added Miralax. The Miralax pushed me in the other direction with diarrhea and cramping so I am now trying a low dose, starting with just ¼ of the recommended daily dose. Interestingly, when I tried Miralax and several motility drugs before my surgery, they had no effect so I guess my remaining GI tract is more sensitive. I've noticed however that even when I get relief from the constipation such as from the Miralax, or earlier from a Fleets enema, it doesn't reduce the pain. In fact, it may temporarily increase the pain due to irritating my bowel. Although I have been keeping a food diary, the pain doesn't seem to correlate much with what I eat.

Recently I had an MRI and a HIDA scan because of sludge noted in my gallbladder on earlier CT scans. Unfortunately, the results show multiple gallstones, delayed filling and only a 27% ejection fraction suggesting chronic cholecystitis. I discussed this with my gastroenterologist. He said since I was not having clinical symptoms of gall bladder disease at this point and my pain was not gall bladder - like, he was in no rush to suggest surgery. This was a great relief to me because I didn't feel I could face another surgery at this point, still dealing with the aftermath of the partial colectomy in December.
My weight remains low having lost about 30 lbs before and after the surgery. I haven't been able to regain weight probably because I try not to eat too much fearing making the pain worse although I try to snack more frequently. I am also restricting fat because of the gall bladder issues so that also makes it hard to gain weight. When I tried adding a supplement like Ensure earlier, it caused diarrhea and cramping. This has all gotten a bit overwhelming!

I also just started taking a low dose of antidepressant to see if that will help the pain. Usually they use a low dose of a tricyclic antidepressant like amitriptyline(Elavil) but since a side-effect of these is constipation, I asked if I could try duloxetine (Cymbalta), an SNRI used for other pain that may be helpful for GI pain as well, but doesn't risk constipation so I am starting on just 20 mg/day. If duloxetine doesn't work, I might re-consider the amitriptyline. I keep hoping I will find a way to reduce the pain either medically or with time but at times it is hard to feel hopeful about that.
I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”