Declining WBC/ANC - post-chemo?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ginabeewell

Declining WBC/ANC - post-chemo?

Postby ginabeewell » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:25 pm

Hi there!

My last chemo was in early December. (Officially I'm on a chemo break - unofficially I'm ready for it to last forever.) : )

BUT today when I went in for my pump fill, they flagged me for low ANC - normal range starts at 1.5, and I was at 1.0 today.

Three weeks ago it was 1.3; three weeks before that it was 1.5. Basically it has been trending down by .2 or .3 every few weeks ever since I stopped chemo. Now it is so low that my Covid vaccine (scheduled next Thursday) is in danger!

The nurse practioner thought maybe my body had grown overly reliant on Neulasta, but I haven't had a shot of that since this summer, when we discontinued Irinotecan - so it seems like that would be quite a lag effect. In Googling, I saw a reference to RA - which I thought I might have after some positive screeners a year ago, but which we now think may have actually been paraneoplastic response. We pulled my CEA again today to see if any change - it has remained stable at ~1.1 for my last 3-4 tests, all 3-6 weeks apart.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any thoughts on what might be happening?
49 YO mom of twins (11) lucky stepmom of 16/19 year olds
9/17/18 DX stage 4 CRC w inoperable liver mets CEA 931
Currently NED!

Join me on a lookback of my journey via my Strive for Five on Substack here:
https://ginajacobson.substack.com

All treatment details here:
https://www.weareallmadeofstars.net/col ... nt-journey

My favorite posts here:
https://weareallmadeofstars.net/favorite-posts

beach sunrise

Re: Declining WBC/ANC - post-chemo?

Postby beach sunrise » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:16 pm

I can't remember exactly what I was told. But was told after chemo to have regular bone density tests and watch wbc and/or anc. Chemo can do damage to bone or bone marrow. I also had radiation so that may play in also why it was recommended.
8/19 RC CEA 82.6 T3N0M0
5FU/rad 6 wk
IVC 75g 1 1/2 wks before surgery. Continue 2x a week
Surg 1/20 -margins T4bN1a IIIC G2 MSI- 1/20 LN+ LVI+ PNI-
pre cea 24 post 5.9
FOLFOX
7 rds 6-10 CEA 11.4 No more
CEA
7/20 11.1 8.8
8/20 7.8
9/20 8.8, 9, 8.6
10/20 8.1
11/20 8s
12/20 8s-9s
ADAPT++++ chrono
CEA
10/23/22 26.x
12/23/22 22.x
1/5 17.1
1/20 15.9
3/30 14.9
6/12 13.3
8/1 2.1
Nodule RML SUV 1.3 5mm
Rolles 3 of 4 lung nodules cancer
KRAS
Chem-sens test failed Not enough ca cells to test

roadrunner

Postby roadrunner » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:46 pm

This must be frustrating. Unfortunately I don’t have any bright ideas, but I will offer one observation. The decreases in ANC certainly *appear* to suggest a trend, but they are relatively small changes overall, and there are few data points (I think you mention two downward moves). You’re also relatively close to the end of chemo (as you likely know, 3 months is often used as the “recovery time” for the immune system from chemo, but recent studies in the breast cancer context (so different agents than we get) show at least a 9 month impact). Additionally, choice of lab, relative blood volume, and systemic considerations unrelated to cancer can cause variations in the test results. And your numbers aren’t high grade neutropenia. When I was at those levels during COVID, I asked about whether I could mount a robust response if I got it, and my team said yes to that. There are billions of cells in play. So—overall —perhaps this is just “noise” and it will rebound?

For what it’s worth, I think the lymphocyte numbers are most relevant to the vaccine, or at least its likely efficacy. Perhaps they have a rule about ANC counts and vaccines due to the risk of bacterial infection. But it should I think be reassuring that the mRNA vaccines produce such robust responses that it appears likely that they will have decent efficacy even in immune challenged patients, and especially with respect to severe outcomes. I would suggest that you discuss the optimal time and blood counts for the shots with your team, though (if you haven't). Though the real world data (all health levels) is reassuring, these vaccines haven’t been tested in people like us, and we all want optimal coverage.
7/19: RC: Staged IIIA, T2N1M0
approx 4.25 cm, low/mid rectum, mod. well diff.; lung micronodule
8/19-10/19 4 rds.FOLFOX neoadjuvant, 3 w/Oxiplatin (reduced 70-75%)
neoadjuvant chemorad 11/19
4 rounds FOLFOX July-August 2020
ncCR 10/20; biopsies neg
TAE 11/20, tumor cells removed
Chest CT 3/30/21 growth in 2 nodules (3 and 5mm)
VATS 12/8/21 sub-pleural met 7mm.
SBRT nodule 1/22
6/20/22 TAE rectal polyp benign)
NED from 3/22 - 3/23
4 cycles FOLFIRI
LUL VATS lobectomy for radio resistant met 7/7/23

ginabeewell

Postby ginabeewell » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:27 pm

roadrunner wrote:This must be frustrating. Unfortunately I don’t have any bright ideas, but I will offer one observation. The decreases in ANC certainly *appear* to suggest a trend, but they are relatively small changes overall, and there are few data points (I think you mention two downward moves). You’re also relatively close to the end of chemo (as you likely know, 3 months is often used as the “recovery time” for the immune system from chemo, but recent studies in the breast cancer context (so different agents than we get) show at least a 9 month impact). Additionally, choice of lab, relative blood volume, and systemic considerations unrelated to cancer can cause variations in the test results. And your numbers aren’t high grade neutropenia. When I was at those levels during COVID, I asked about whether I could mount a robust response if I got it, and my team said yes to that. There are billions of cells in play. So—overall —perhaps this is just “noise” and it will rebound?

For what it’s worth, I think the lymphocyte numbers are most relevant to the vaccine, or at least its likely efficacy. Perhaps they have a rule about ANC counts and vaccines due to the risk of bacterial infection. But it should I think be reassuring that the mRNA vaccines produce such robust responses that it appears likely that they will have decent efficacy even in immune challenged patients, and especially with respect to severe outcomes. I would suggest that you discuss the optimal time and blood counts for the shots with your team, though (if you haven't). Though the real world data (all health levels) is reassuring, these vaccines haven’t been tested in people like us, and we all want optimal coverage.

Thanks so much for sharing this - it was super helpful to understand some of the science related to the vaccine, etc. And even just the fact that this is mild and I should still be able to mount a response.

To be honest, i think i'm more worried about what my declining WBC means for my CANCER than for my VACCINE! It has actually been steadily declining since November - so it's more like 5-6 drops in succession, and it's never been as low as it is now. However, that could certainly be from the chemo. I know after my third surgery, my red blood count struggled for months to get back to normal levels.

They will pull labs again on Monday - fingers crossed it will start to look better!
49 YO mom of twins (11) lucky stepmom of 16/19 year olds
9/17/18 DX stage 4 CRC w inoperable liver mets CEA 931
Currently NED!

Join me on a lookback of my journey via my Strive for Five on Substack here:
https://ginajacobson.substack.com

All treatment details here:
https://www.weareallmadeofstars.net/col ... nt-journey

My favorite posts here:
https://weareallmadeofstars.net/favorite-posts

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”