Adjuvant Chemo Delayed

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:22 am

Adjuvant Chemo Delayed

Postby sunnysideupalways » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:43 am

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with their adjuvant chemo being delayed after surgery?

Husband had surgery on Dec 2 2020 to remove 8cm tumour in descending colon. Had a bit of a delay with follow up pathology due to Christmas break...but were told on Jan 4 2021 0/25 lymph nodes affected.

Met with the oncologist on Jan 25 2021 who not only told us pathology had been updated to show 1/32 lymph nodes now, but also that my husbands CT scan (from back in November!) showed a large aortic aneurysm that has to be dealt with before chemo. We are hoping that will be resolved in a week or two, but am now getting worried about chemo starting 9+ weeks after surgery.

Any reassurance would be welcome! :)

Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: Adjuvant Chemo Delayed

Postby polluxx » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:01 pm

I wish I had more concrete information for you. After my surgery, my oncologist wanted to start chemo within 4 weeks.

This was right at the very beginning of the pandemic which threw us a few curveballs. Getting my port put in kept getting cancelled because our governor put a stop to all non urgent surgeries, but gave no information to the hospitals about what he considers urgent.

My surgeon and oncologist really had to fight the system for me, but I was able to start chemo 3 weeks after my hemicolectomy.

In your situation, I don’t see any alternative to a slight delay. You have to do first what needs to be done first and that is what you are doing. Keep us posted on how everything is going.
Stage 3c
2/2020 Right colon hemicolectomy (invasive adenocarcinoma with micropillary features)
Moderately differentiated
Tumor size: 4.4 in greatest dimension Metastatic Carcinoma in 12 out of 28 lymph nodes
Extranodal extension identified
Margins negative

3/2020 Began 12 rounds of FolFox
9/2020 Finished FolFox
12/2020 PET Scan-NED
1-2021 CTdna test-Negative!!!

User avatar
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:30 pm
Location: SE Michigan USA

Re: Adjuvant Chemo Delayed

Postby GrouseMan » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:21 pm

The large aortic aneurysm is much more deadly in the short term to your husband at this point than the cancer and must be dealt with first. Undergoing Chemo with a that would be dangerous, and the surgery to correct the aneurysm must heal before chemo. Lucky that they saw that! People drop dead from undiagnosed aneurysms that burst.


Good Luck

DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:22 am

Re: Adjuvant Chemo Delayed

Postby sunnysideupalways » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:05 pm

Thank you so much for your replies! Open heart surgery is tentatively scheduled for Wednesday of next week, but we are meeting with the surgeon on Monday to see if there’s any reason he’s not a candidate/any downfalls for endovascular surgery to remove the aneurysm since the healing time is reduced, and theoretically would be able to start chemo sooner that way.

So grateful for this message board!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Achilles Torn and 4 guests