Covid 19 vaccine

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Lee

Re: Covid 19 vaccine

Postby Lee » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:20 am

bitchslapped wrote:Hey Everybody! fed up w/Fauci to be sure. I'll leave it @ that.

Bitchslapped (BS)

Me Too!!!
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

J-man

Postby J-man » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:21 am

WOW
I am surprised that folks here on a science based forum are fed up with Dr. Fauci ????
He seems to be one of the few voices of science and reason in the maelstrom of what we call our current government "leadership"

Our country, the USA, has now one of the WORST infection rates and mortality rates in the world,
and our country and leaders need to do better.
When we get a real leader !

Please read the facts and stay safe.
We CAN get through this all

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:02 pm

HI guys,

I hesitated to post a moderator 'hey guys, this is a warning' type of a post and I'm still not really going to. I'm simply asking that we, as a group, chill a little bit about our words, our political views, etc. I'm sure I can safely say that 2020 has a been a trying year for EVERYONE....Covid has been no fun....and we all wish that we could go back to our 'normal' life sooner than later.

In that light, can we please be civil and respect each other and please LEAVE THE POLITICAL VIEWS out of these discussions...please???? No one likes to have a thread closed to further comments and I'm not doing that or at this time even considering it, but please, let's get things back on track and leave the politics out of it.

Thanks

weisssoccermom
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

beach sunrise

Postby beach sunrise » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:45 pm

My comment is WE are all bada** super hero's to have cancer and go through surgeries and treatments in the middle of the worst pandemic the world has ever seen.
8/19 RC CEA 82.6 T3N0M0
5FU/rad 6 wk
IVC 75g 1 1/2 wks before surgery. Continue 2x a week
Surg 1/20 -margins T4bN1a IIIC G2 MSI- 1/20 LN+ LVI+ PNI-
pre cea 24 post 5.9
FOLFOX
7 rds 6-10 CEA 11.4 No more
CEA
7/20 11.1 8.8
8/20 7.8
9/20 8.8, 9, 8.6
10/20 8.1
11/20 8s
12/20 8s-9s
ADAPT++++ chrono
CEA
10/23/22 26.x
12/23/22 22.x
1/5 17.1
1/20 15.9
3/30 14.9
6/12 13.3
8/1 2.1
Nodule RML SUV 1.3 5mm
Rolles 3 of 4 lung nodules cancer
KRAS
Chem-sens test failed Not enough ca cells to test

stu

Postby stu » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:51 am

This is complex but appropriate to the discussion. So the science pushes through a vaccine at speed and for good reason ! I am comfortable with that . The vaccine is assessed with specific parameters but not others due to the time constraints. I am also comfortable to use it within the recommended guidelines for which it has been assessed .
Community transmission in the UK has been amplified due to a new mutation as reflected in our transmission levels . Giving the US a good run for its money despite being a significantly smaller country and population . So a few scientists decide after rolling out the first round of vaccines to change the parameters . The manufacturer recommends the second dose be given within 21 days . Our government advisers have moved that up to 12 weeks . They have claimed it only gives minimal benefit from the second dose . The manufacturer claimed 52% efficiency from the first dose taking it up to 92% ( I think ) on the second dose . The manufacturer has not claimed minimal benefit from the second dose .

Despite the manufacturer coming out and saying efficiency has not be assessed on that pathway . The government advisories have claimed the science supports it . It has not in-fact been assessed . Now I find myself losing trust and raising questions of safety . We will be able to vaccinate more people at 52% efficiency but how does that work with virus mutations ? Speed of delivery seems to be the key here . We will get ill but maybe not so ill as we might have been !

However the trust has been damaged as the agreement which people signed up to was two vaccines as per the manufacturer guidelines .

They are all scientists but some with political motivations and personal ambitions . I trust the evidence but I actually don’t know individual scientists or their motivations . Proven research is a different thing all together ! However on the strength of Grouseman talking about the benefit of vitamin D on another thread and hearing his wise input for years on this forum I immediately went and got some for the wider family ! I am not stubborn or unteachable but I do have the ability to see objectives and agendas that may not be for my personal good .

So some of my family and friends now find themselves in this position out with their own choosing . I will have to decide if I go ahead on that bases . I have a lot of questions and no one to ask .
The media is bias and making statements like “ the NHS welcome this “ . When in fact many , many drs are outraged .

So trust is a fragile thing !

Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:43 am

weisssoccermom wrote:I have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about. There have been no posts removed from this thread....and yes I went back and verified just to make sure that I was correct. If an individual removed his/her own post, that's for that person to decide. NO post in this thread was edited, changed or deleted by any moderator.

As for you not being able to edit your own posts....I have no idea what that is about either...but I will gladly look into it for you.

For the record, I posted after J-man but before your warning/not warning. The post was removed, but not by me.

Happy New Year
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:28 pm

Didn't think so Peanut, because people have never been able to remove their own posts...unless things have changed, you have to leave @ least one character. Many times we have seen people just type "never mind" or "delete" or you see nothing but a period in place of a post. I can't even edit @ this point. Appreciate if you look into that, Jaynee.

Exactly Stu. What a well-thought-out post! That took some time. Well done :)

Happy New Year To All

BS
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

Green Tea

Postby Green Tea » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:53 pm

For those who might be interested in looking at some of the technical aspects underlying the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine approval, here is a link to clinical trial NCT04368728 with the study design details.

Study to Describe the Safety, Tolerability, Immunogenicity, and Efficacy of RNA Vaccine Candidates Against COVID-19 in Healthy Individuals

Clinical Trial NCT04368728

ccmc

Postby ccmc » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:39 pm

This topic has been reported to the Colon Club Moderators Committee for review.

Personal attacks on other members are not permitted, and will result in removal of posts without notice.
If a member has an issue with a post, topic or other member, they are directed to report the post
or PM the other member directly in a respectful manner.
Colon Club Moderators Committee

stu

Postby stu » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:14 am

Thanks Green tea . Interesting read . It’s all so complicated and you do hope the people in authority are competent. But who knows !
Take care ,
Stu
73% of liver removed
2016 lung resection

stu

Postby stu » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:09 am

The other aspect of the new regime is they don’t seem to be able to guarantee supply in three months time .

Hopefully most of you won’t encounter this issue but I have a horrible feeling we are trying to limp through to Spring .

Stu
73% of liver removed
2016 lung resection

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:21 pm

You are correct stu,
moving the revaccination timeline is NOT in accordance with the stated / tested / approved process.

From my readings, the Pfizer-BioNTech requires a 21 day booster and the Moderna a 28 day booster.
People develop protective response 7 days after the second Pfizer vaccine, so 28 days after the first dose.
Based on studies in about 30,000 participants, the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine was 94.1% effective in preventing COVID-19 beginning 2 weeks after the second dose. This means that people may not be fully protected against COVID-19 until at least 14 days after the second dose.

The thinking by governments = "our leaders ! "
is that by getting more people with some kind of immunity, they are better off than getting those vaccinated twice, the full immunity.
I disagree with them.

A partial vaccine response may lessen the severity and mortality rate of COVID in some individuals ... BUTT ...
those folks will still have gotten the infection and spread the virus +/- about 50% of the time ( a single dose being about 50% effective )
THAT does little to stop the spread of the virus and they end up playing Whack-a-mole with outbreak clusters.

IMO they should ramp up vaccine production and delivery, roll out the proper 2 dose boostering protocols and closely monitor the variant mutations.
They are likely still prevented by vaccines ... BUTT... BUTT there will be other variants, we can count on that.

Cheers and stay Safe
Best in the New Year
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

stu

Postby stu » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:03 pm

Hi CRGuy .

Thanks for that . It seems a knee jerk reaction with too many variables.
I had not thought about the ability to still spread at those levels which means front line staff remain a problem to vulnerable patients .

To be honest I am quite disappointed in this approach . It is not well thought through . I think panic has set in with this new variant emerging .

take care ,
Stu
73% of liver removed
2016 lung resection

roadrunner

Postby roadrunner » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:33 pm

I’m not quite sure how I feel about this, but it is nuanced.

https://amp.wbur.org/commonhealth/2020/ ... ose-debate

The bottom line appears to be that Moderna’s (limited) data supported very strong efficacy with one shot, and Pfizer hasn’t published data.

As with many vaccines, we may find out in a few years that one dose is more than sufficient for most people. Keep in mind also that given the difficulty of producing, storing, and distributing the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines, most people will end up with adenovirus vector vaccines (e.g., J&J, AZ, Sinopharm, etc.) which are at the lower efficacy level (though still great compared to, say, the flu shot) compared to mRNA vaccines anyway.
7/19: RC: Staged IIIA, T2N1M0
approx 4.25 cm, low/mid rectum, mod. well diff.; lung micronodule
8/19-10/19 4 rds.FOLFOX neoadjuvant, 3 w/Oxiplatin (reduced 70-75%)
neoadjuvant chemorad 11/19
4 rounds FOLFOX July-August 2020
ncCR 10/20; biopsies neg
TAE 11/20, tumor cells removed
Chest CT 3/30/21 growth in 2 nodules (3 and 5mm)
VATS 12/8/21 sub-pleural met 7mm.
SBRT nodule 1/22
6/20/22 TAE rectal polyp benign)
NED from 3/22 - 3/23
4 cycles FOLFIRI
LUL VATS lobectomy for radio resistant met 7/7/23

roadrunner

Postby roadrunner » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:44 pm

Should add: I went back and looked, and the 70% efficacy finding applies to AZ only at this point. J&J does not seem to have released data yet.

And of course availability will determine who gets what. (Well, and other things will too, but that’s a different story . . ..)
7/19: RC: Staged IIIA, T2N1M0
approx 4.25 cm, low/mid rectum, mod. well diff.; lung micronodule
8/19-10/19 4 rds.FOLFOX neoadjuvant, 3 w/Oxiplatin (reduced 70-75%)
neoadjuvant chemorad 11/19
4 rounds FOLFOX July-August 2020
ncCR 10/20; biopsies neg
TAE 11/20, tumor cells removed
Chest CT 3/30/21 growth in 2 nodules (3 and 5mm)
VATS 12/8/21 sub-pleural met 7mm.
SBRT nodule 1/22
6/20/22 TAE rectal polyp benign)
NED from 3/22 - 3/23
4 cycles FOLFIRI
LUL VATS lobectomy for radio resistant met 7/7/23

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”