Covid 19 vaccine

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
justin case

Covid 19 vaccine

Postby justin case » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:46 pm

I was very surprised the first doses of the new vaccine in Houston were sent to MD Anderson. This was not because the staff was afraid of the patients, but to safeguard the patients from the staff.I think it was a well educated move!
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Lee

Re: Covid 19 vaccine

Postby Lee » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:50 pm

Bro Nut,

Nice to see your post. I understand the staff will be vaccinated, butt can the patients get the vaccine too? Around the same time?

I want the vaccine, the sooner the better.

Sista Nut
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

ginabeewell

Postby ginabeewell » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:43 pm

I was at MSK today and the nurse told me they haven’t gotten them yet - they will first go to healthcare workers treating Covid patients.

Last week, my Northwestern nurses had heard nothing about timing etc.
49 YO mom of twins (11) lucky stepmom of 16/19 year olds
9/17/18 DX stage 4 CRC w inoperable liver mets CEA 931
Currently NED!

Join me on a lookback of my journey via my Strive for Five on Substack here:
https://ginajacobson.substack.com

All treatment details here:
https://www.weareallmadeofstars.net/col ... nt-journey

My favorite posts here:
https://weareallmadeofstars.net/favorite-posts

justin case

Postby justin case » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:17 am

Lee wrote:Bro Nut,

Nice to see your post. I understand the staff will be vaccinated, butt can the patients get the vaccine too? Around the same time?

I want the vaccine, the sooner the better.

Sista Nut

I don't believe so at this time as most cancer patients are smart enough to follow protocol, and I really don't know how safe the vaccine would be to the immune system challenged. Good to hear from you Lee!
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

roadrunner

Postby roadrunner » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:54 am

Just for clarity, Pfizer and Moderna are mRNA vaccines, which means that there is not even a complete killed virus involved. In general, concerns over vaccine safety for immunicompromised individuals are associated with weakened live virus vaccines. None of the potential COVID-19 candidates uses that method. (Immunotherapy may present other considerations; I’m not suggesting that, though, just not commenting on it.) While it is my understanding that no clinical trial for COVID-19 vaccines has enrolled immunicompromised patients, significant side effects have not been seen In immunicompromised patients for other killed virus vaccines or recombinant-protein-based vaccines in the past. This includes even patients with hematological malignancies, who generally receive stronger immunosuppressive therapy than solid tumor patients. Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca are I believe adenovirus-vector vaccines, which also have good safety histories in immunocompromised people.

While there are, of course, open questions of efficacy in immunocompromised populations, even here the news is relatively promising. While the flu vaccine has widely varying response rates and levels in immunocompromised patients (with lower efficacy in hematological cancer patients, for example), it has shown safety and some levels of effectiveness in even that population. And the flu vaccine not a super-effective vaccine, overall. It’s effectiveness in healthy people is usually 40-60%. By contrast, Pfizer and Moderna reported 95% effectiveness in healthy subjects.

Finally, as long as one seroconverts (develops antibodies) in response to the vaccine, it is likely that the *worst* effects of COVID-19 infection — the most severe consequences — will be avoided regardless of whether infection is blocked. This also is seen with the influenza vaccine, and is another reason to get the vaccine here. Overall, the current COVID-19 vaccine candidates appear likely to be safe for most people whose immune function has been affected by CRC treatment, with efficacy varying by nature and extent of therapy/compromise, active/past therapy, time from therapy, and the individual health of the recipient.
7/19: RC: Staged IIIA, T2N1M0
approx 4.25 cm, low/mid rectum, mod. well diff.; lung micronodule
8/19-10/19 4 rds.FOLFOX neoadjuvant, 3 w/Oxiplatin (reduced 70-75%)
neoadjuvant chemorad 11/19
4 rounds FOLFOX July-August 2020
ncCR 10/20; biopsies neg
TAE 11/20, tumor cells removed
Chest CT 3/30/21 growth in 2 nodules (3 and 5mm)
VATS 12/8/21 sub-pleural met 7mm.
SBRT nodule 1/22
6/20/22 TAE rectal polyp benign)
NED from 3/22 - 3/23
4 cycles FOLFIRI
LUL VATS lobectomy for radio resistant met 7/7/23

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:09 pm

Just wanted to chime in here. My sister-in-law is a nurse in Lincoln, NE, and is getting the vaccine today.

Very happy for her, and I'm looking forward to getting it myself, since I'm anxious to finally get back to getting out of the house.
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

justin case

Postby justin case » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:10 am

peanut_8 wrote:Just wanted to chime in here. My sister-in-law is a nurse in Lincoln, NE, and is getting the vaccine today.

Very happy for her, and I'm looking forward to getting it myself, since I'm anxious to finally get back to getting out of the house.

Well there's the other sister nut!
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
Last treatment July 2012

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:33 pm

peanut_8 wrote:Just wanted to chime in here. My sister-in-law is a nurse in Lincoln, NE, and is getting the vaccine today.

Hi peanut, miss you & the gang,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

debb

Postby debb » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:30 pm

Hi...My daughter is an oncology nurse at Johns Hopkins. She received her vaccination today. I'm a patient at MSK and got an email stating that they would send patients info when as to when they can vaccinate patients.
2008, Stage 3C, age 42, mom of 4
Folfox 9/08-2/09
Met to right ovary, both removed 7/10
HIPEC 8/10
VATS 7/12, right lung
10/14 Stivarga clinical trial
3/15-7/15 Folfiri & avastin
8/16 Folfiri & avastin
Break! 10 months of freedom
1/18 - 4/23 many Folfiri & Avastin
6/23 Clinical trial REGN7075. Progression
8/23 radiation to femurs and L4
9/23 rechallenged Folfox. Allergic reaction at 4th infusion
11/23 will start Bot/Bal

GreenLakeGirl

Postby GreenLakeGirl » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:19 pm

roadrunner wrote:Just for clarity, Pfizer and Moderna are mRNA vaccines, which means that there is not even a complete killed virus involved....

Thanks, roadrunner! Good info in your post.
2009, age 37 with a 2yo: CC, IIIB (T4N1M0). IBD history
2010-11: FOLFOX, 12 rounds. 5 surgeries (3-step Ileal j-pouch, infection, VATS)
Currently NED.
Mom, you can go the hard way if you want, but the easy way is much easier. ~my 3yo

horizon

Postby horizon » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:28 pm

What I'm wondering is does being a CC survivor put you into one of the more higher risk groups that gets vaccinated earlier.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 12 years NED). Is this real life?

kandj

Postby kandj » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:25 pm

ginabeewell wrote:I was at MSK today and the nurse told me they haven’t gotten them yet - they will first go to healthcare workers treating Covid patients.

Last week, my Northwestern nurses had heard nothing about timing etc.

That is so weird. My husband was there the same day as you and he said the MSK vaccine clinic was on Dr. K's floor! One of the nurses was talking to him about it. I have seen some pics of nurses and Doc's getting vaccinations on their social media too. I am hopeful that when he goes back in January they will be giving the vaccine to patients.
wife to DH, dx 8/15 stage IV @36, 12+ liver Mets
HAI placed 12/15
Liver resect 5/19/2016 15-20 mets (surgeon lost count)
Liver Recurrence 7/2017-radiation
Lung met 10/18 VATS
lung/adrenal gland recurrence 11/19
Adrenal ablation 2/20 VATS 3/20
Radiation: 9/20 adrenal gland, 2/21 pancreatic node
9/2021 liver, 4/22 esophageal node
7/2023 proton therapy: liver
140+ rounds of chemo and counting
Chest nodes, lung nodules, and esophageal nodes currently.

polluxx

Postby polluxx » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:33 pm

My oncologist told me she got her first shot this week. Even though I’m finished with chemo and my white blood count has recovered, she said that she would like me to get it as soon as possible.

She said that she doesn’t know how it will be rolled out. If she gets a shipment to distribute, she said she would prioritize my getting it, but for all she knows, it will just be at CVS and be given on a first come first serve basis.
Stage 3c
2/2020 Right colon hemicolectomy (invasive adenocarcinoma with micropillary features)
Moderately differentiated
Tumor size: 4.4 in greatest dimension Metastatic Carcinoma in 12 out of 28 lymph nodes
Extranodal extension identified
Margins negative

3/2020 Began 12 rounds of FolFox
9/2020 Finished FolFox
12/2020 PET Scan-NED
1-2021 ctDNA Test negative
5-2021 ctDNA Test negative
7-2021 ctDNA Test negative
9-2021 PET/CT Scan-NED

horizon

Postby horizon » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:47 pm

polluxx wrote:My oncologist told me she got her first shot this week. Even though I’m finished with chemo and my white blood count has recovered, she said that she would like me to get it as soon as possible.

I remember when I was on chemo my onc wanted to make sure I got my flu shot as soon as possible. I certainly understand the urgency now.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 12 years NED). Is this real life?

ginabeewell

Postby ginabeewell » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:11 pm

polluxx wrote:My oncologist told me she got her first shot this week. Even though I’m finished with chemo and my white blood count has recovered, she said that she would like me to get it as soon as possible.

She said that she doesn’t know how it will be rolled out. If she gets a shipment to distribute, she said she would prioritize my getting it, but for all she knows, it will just be at CVS and be given on a first come first serve basis.

I saw my Northwestern oncologist yesterday, and she had just gotten the vaccine. She didn't have any info regarding when patients would receive it, and did caution me that anyone with a compromised immune system would have diminished effectiveness - but she reinforced that any improved protection would be good and advised that i should get it. She did not know whether i would be getting it via the NW system or via CVS / Walgreens.

The latest guidance suggests that elderly 75+ get prioritized ahead of immunocompromised people. If that happens, my sister (a social worker who works with Children's Hospital) and both my parents would be vaccinated before me! Now that is something we REALLY did not expect!!
49 YO mom of twins (11) lucky stepmom of 16/19 year olds
9/17/18 DX stage 4 CRC w inoperable liver mets CEA 931
Currently NED!

Join me on a lookback of my journey via my Strive for Five on Substack here:
https://ginajacobson.substack.com

All treatment details here:
https://www.weareallmadeofstars.net/col ... nt-journey

My favorite posts here:
https://weareallmadeofstars.net/favorite-posts

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”