Prep for colonoscopy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
edinaman

Prep for colonoscopy

Postby edinaman » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:35 am

I haven't been on this site in a long time. It's going on 16 years since I was diagnosed. Well this year is time for my colonoscopy. I have not done well with most preps. My doctor suggested trying Suprep. I don't mind paying, since my insurance won't cover it. Actually, the doctor said they have never had a person who's insurance paid for it. My question is-has anyone used this prep, and how was it?
Went in for surgery for a cyst on my bladder, and they found colon cancer growing on the outside of the colon. Got to have two surgeries at the same time! Stage 3, one node involved.

roadrunner

Re: Prep for colonoscopy

Postby roadrunner » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:36 pm

Super easy. It tastes a little weird, so make it cold. If you don’t like the taste, squeeze some lime juice into your mouth before and after chugging it. For me it worked perfectly, and just as advertised. Followed the directions so got a solid night’s sleep before the procedure.
7/19: Rectal cancer: Initially staged as IIIA, T2N1M0
Initially approx 4.25 cm, low/mid rectum, mod. well diff. adenocarcinoma
8/22 -10/14 4 rounds FOLFOX neoadjuvant, 3 w/Oxiplatin (lots of side effects/reduced size est. 70-75%)
Switched to neoadjuvant chemorad in 11/19 (Xeloda and approx. IMRT, 60 Gy, 33 fractions)
Trying to achieve cCR.

zephyr

Postby zephyr » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:44 pm

roadrunner wrote:Super easy. It tastes a little weird, so make it cold. If you don’t like the taste, squeeze some lime juice into your mouth before and after chugging it. For me it worked perfectly, and just as advertised. Followed the directions so got a solid night’s sleep before the procedure.

Same here (except I didn't know about the lime so thanks for the tip!)
Nov-2009 Early stage CRC found during routine colonoscopy
2010, 2011, 2014 Follow up colonoscopies, all clear
Jun-2016 CRC found during routine follow up colonoscopy, surgery, Stage 4, KRAS, MSS, inoperable lung mets
Aug-2016-May-2018 Folfox, 5FU & Avastin, 5FU, Folfiri & Cyramza
Aug/Sep-2018 YAG laser surgeries (Germany) on both lungs, 11 nodules (9 mets) removed
Nov-2018 clean CT scan
Mar-2019 New lung nodules
Apr/Jul-2019 Xeloda/Avastin, SBRT
June-2020 Mild progression, continue Xeloda/Avastin

Jaradg

Postby Jaradg » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:55 am

zephyr wrote:
roadrunner wrote:Super easy. It tastes a little weird, so make it cold. If you don’t like the taste, squeeze some lime juice into your mouth before and after chugging it. For me it worked perfectly, and just as advertised. Followed the directions so got a solid night’s sleep before the procedure.

Same here (except I didn't know about the lime so thanks for the tip!)

I’ll add a third to this. Much easier than drinking a whole gallon of the other stuff.

My insurance (I had Aetna in Maryland) covered it no problem

ANDRETEXAS

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:26 am

Suprep is the best!! If you have to have a colonoscopy. :D I've had it twice. It was easy and fast. Highly recommend.
2/10 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT
3/2 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4- clean CT
9/21- clean CT
3/23- clean CT
2/22- clean CT
3/21 - clean CT
4/11 - clean colonoscopy
3/11 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !
Next colonoscopy - 2023

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:34 pm

Never had it....just wanted to say hi to another old timer :D Found this drug card for it online. As long as you aren't on Medicare or Medicaid.....this will work. Don't know how much it costs but every little bit helps.

https://www.suprepkit.com/Savings

Last year when I had my scope, my doctor Rxd me something...I think it was prepopik BUT I instead used the Miralax/Dulcolax & Gatorade prep that a lot of gastro clinics use instead. I googled it....used by places like Baylor, Cleveland Clinic, MSKCC, Sutter Health (around SF) and Kaiser. Yep, I was wrong not to tell my doctor that I used this approach instead but she said my prep was EXCELLENT and I was happy. I'm never going back to the nasty stuff again. My surgeon (she does all my scopes) used to Rx me the OsmoPrep pills but not any more....bummer....those were nice and easy. I had a friend who was due for her scope, was Rxd the gallon of crap and I told her about the M/D/& Gatorade prep. She was dubious so she called up the gastro clinic at Virginia Mason basically in tears. They told her that if she didn't think she could stomach the gallon (last time she threw it up), then they routinely tell patients to take the M/D & Gatorade. She was so happy and relieved. My question is WHY not just tell the patient about it in the first place?

They all have the same end result...so I have never understood why so many doctors continue to Rx the nasty gallon or half gallon of stuff. Even my doctor said she tried it and would NEVER make a patient drink that swill (her words). Whichever prep you do, I hope everything goes well. Even when we are this far out (I'm only two years behind you) it's still nerve racking going through the procedure.

Take care. Hope things are going well for you.. It's fun sometimes to 'reconnect' with the old timers on this board and walk down memory lane.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

edinaman

Postby edinaman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:51 pm

Hi Jaynee. It's good to hear from you. My doctor normally uses the Miralax, Gatorade, etc. prep. That's what I used for my last two preps. The first time I used it, I barely tolerated it, and by the morning of my procedure I was really nauseated and bloated. The last time I gagged down about half of what I was supposed to drink. Fortunately, I was clean enough to do the colonoscopy. I was so sick that time, that the night before the prep I called the doctor's office and told the doctor who was taking calls that if I drank one more sip,everything was coming up. He said to stop the prep. The next morning I was supposed to drink magnesium citrate. There was no way. When I got to the hospital for the procedure, the nurse saw how sick I was an immediately hooked me up to iv's for nausea and dehydration. This time there was no way I was doing that prep again. They said I could do Suprep, but they have never had a patient who's insurance covered it. I told them I didn't care, I'd pay the $140 if it meant I could do the prep. Insurance actually covered it, which surprised the druggist. He said both he and the doctor worked on getting it approved. Maybe it helps if you've had colon cancer and have had issues with the other prep. Strangely, they didn't cover the anti nausea pills that were prescribed. I wasn't complaining, because the prep was only $8, and the pills were $44, so it was still cheaper than paying for the prep if not covered. I wish I could use those discount cards, but unfortunately they won't work with Medicare. I could go into a whole story about that. I don't have the colonoscopy until late September, so I have a while. Hopefully, this will work.
Went in for surgery for a cyst on my bladder, and they found colon cancer growing on the outside of the colon. Got to have two surgeries at the same time! Stage 3, one node involved.

Mugenabe

Postby Mugenabe » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:53 pm

I did suprep for my colonoscopy. Not the best experience but worked the way it was supposed to I guess. Colonoscopy pictures were nice and clean lol.
5/13/20 colonoscopy, CT Scan - 5cm tumor found in sigmoid colon, no evidence in other organs, confirmed cancer
5/21/20 colectomy (partial resection) - waiting for staging
6/2/20 Pathology results 7/25 nodes positive Stage 3C T4aN2b
6/25/20 CAPOX 4 rounds CEA 2.5

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”