Covid and the non-believers

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
pixe_chic
Facebook Username: Denelle.Wirth.Suranski

Covid and the non-believers

Postby pixe_chic » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:03 pm

Hi,
I just wanted to come to see if anyone else has to deal with coworkers or family members that do not wear masks? There are so many different laws or ordinances in the country because is it up to our governors to mandate us. At first, I felt embarrassed wearing a mask, but I took a stance and began wearing one.

KimT

Re: Covid and the non-believers

Postby KimT » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:02 am

This is a colon cancer support forum, not the mask debate forum.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:50 am

Nevertheless this is very relevant to cancer patients.

I don't have to deal with this problem. Everyone I encounter in an indoor setting is wearing a mask. I went to a 1,000-person BLM in June demonstration--realizing that I was taking a potentially big risk--and 97% or more were wearing masks. (I was one of a group of volunteers asked by the organizers to go around and give masks to those that didn't have them, and ask anyone who wasn't to wear them, so I have a very accurate idea of the numbers.)

My suggestion with co-workers would be that you tell them that your immune system is compromised by cancer treatment and ask them nicely to wear a mask. Same with family members. Talk to HR or your manager and ask them to enforce or strongly encourage mask wearing and to set an example. I don't know what to do about stores. The stores I visit here all have signs out front requiring masks, as well as occupancy control.

Maybe this is why my state, Maine, is one of the very few states where cases trend steadily down.
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable
6/28/19 Pause Key, predisone for joint pain
7/31/19 Restart Key
9/19 CT stable
Pain: all fails but Celebrex
12/23/19 CT stable
5/20 MRI stable/NED
6/20 Stop Key
All MRIs NED

I_will_fight

Postby I_will_fight » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:16 pm

KimT wrote:This is a colon cancer support forum, not the mask debate forum.

Hi KimT,

With all due respect, I think the question might be relevant since many of us have weakened inmune systems and getting COVID is specially dangerous for many here (just my thoughts, not wanted to get into a hot debate on this)

In my case, I tend to avoid indoors settings (outside home). When non-mask wearers walk towards me on the sidewalk (it is compulsory to wear a mask in most of Spain but some people dont follow the rules in Europe's slovenly south) I step aside and cover my nose and mouth with my flexed arm, this has raised a few eyebrows and I have heard some giggling, but I could not care less.

I try to keep a reasonable distance with everyone I don't know well.

Love and heath.

JC
46 yo male Spain
06/2020 - 6cm T3N0M0 CC splenic flex
3 and 4 mm lung ground glass
lymp 0/37
dMMR MSH6
KRAS mt G13D
V/LNI absent
PNI present
07/20 - hemicol surg, optimistic surgeon.
11/20 - 4 x CAPOX completed.
12/20 - Clear colonoscopy
02/21 - MRI liver lesion unchanged.
11/21 - Clear CT
02/22- Colonoscopy: Sessil polyp 3mm
05/22- Clear CT
06/22- Negative Signatera
12/22- Negative Signatera
01/23- Clear CT
07/23- Clear CT, normal markers.
09/23 - Negative Signatera
01/24 - Clear CT

zephyr

Postby zephyr » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:50 pm

KimT wrote:This is a colon cancer support forum, not the mask debate forum.

I agree with Kim. While I also agree that this is a very relevant to cancer patients & caregivers on this forum, the post was made by a first-time poster about whom we know nothing. It seems suspiciously like someone looking to start a mask debate and some of us just don't need the added stress of seeing a heated debate every time we click over here to offer and receive much needed support during what might be the roughest period of our lives. Please ... stop.
Last edited by zephyr on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov-2009 Early stage CRC, routine colonoscopy
2010-2014 F/U colonoscopies, all clear
Jun-2016 CRC during F/U colonoscopy, surgery, Stage 4, KRAS, MSS
Aug-2016-May-2018 Folfox, 5FU, Folfiri & Avastin
Aug/Sep-2018 YAG laser surgeries (Germany), 11 nodules removed
Nov-2018 clean CT scan
Mar-2019 New lung nodules
Apr-2019 Dec-2020 Xeloda/Avastin, SBRT, cont. Xeloda/Avastin
Mar-2021 Forfiri/Avastin
Mar-2022 Ablation & Thoracotomy
Feb-2023 Folfiri & Avastin
Nov-2023 Xeloda & Avastin

AlexandraZ

Postby AlexandraZ » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:00 pm

No one wears masks in Denmark, not even at the hospital. I guess it's different from country to country? With my boyfriend, we just make sure we're not close to anyone who is sick, since asymptomatic spread isn't that common. Sometimes I wish my bf would be a little more careful, but I realized I can't nag him all the time and it has to be his choice.
Boyfriend 28yo dx February 2019, CEA 70,480
Stage 4 CRC with multiple mets to liver & lungs
KRAS, NRAS, BRAF wild type, MSS
12x FOLFIRI + Vectibix
September 2019 CEA 210, 60% reduction in size, chemo break!

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:43 pm

zephyr, I get your point, but a) no one here has engaged in heated debate, and b) it's easy to skip the thread if you wish.
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable
6/28/19 Pause Key, predisone for joint pain
7/31/19 Restart Key
9/19 CT stable
Pain: all fails but Celebrex
12/23/19 CT stable
5/20 MRI stable/NED
6/20 Stop Key
All MRIs NED

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:43 pm

For reference :

If anyone had chosen to check the OP Facebook / name on the ID frame at the right of the post,
they may have found that the OP had her story told here,
Denelle Suranski - On The Rise 2019

She is one of us, homies
and maybe a little more understanding and support could be afforded a first time poster ?

Just sayin'
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

ANDRETEXAS

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:58 am

Everyone should wear a mask everywhere whenever they are in a public setting and cannot adhere to social distancing. Period. I do not wear a mask when I go on my three-mile daily walk, but I do not get withing 30 feet of another person.
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

stu

Postby stu » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:06 am

Ours has just become mandatory. Only a few are not doing it . It’s not seen as a “rights” thing , just a health thing so no hostility towards anyone . One or two don’t comply . My 18 year old son said it was no hardship and all young people are doing it .
However I would say I would draw a different line if friends / family could not show care and respect for my health needs . Particularly where an immune system could be compromised.Where possible I would reduce the risks by inviting them to mask up or invite them to stay away . Harder in work but I think your employer might need to get involved. It would be the least I could do for a friend or family . The very least .
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

polluxx

Postby polluxx » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:56 pm

When I needed to go to the hospital for a scan, I told my oncologist that I feel very safe in our hospital. She agreed that our county was doing really well minimizing Covid and she felt fine about the hospital too.

Fast forward 6 weeks and I reminded her of that conversation. She said that was a whole different world. Our county (in Northern California) no longer has a handle on contagion.

She said that she really doesn’t think there is much of a risk from touching items, but she does not want me indoors with people other than my immediate family breathing recirculated air even if I am wearing a mask.

I told her I had been to the lake and pool to visit with my friends and I wore a mask and also tried to stay 6 feet away from everyone.

She was pretty upset that my friends don’t wear masks when they are with me.

I don’t get upset. Everyone is in a different place and has different ideas of what is safe.

All I can do is make decisions that put my health and future first. I can’t control what other people decide to do, and I’m not going to judge them for having a different definition of staying safe.

On a side note, my husband is planning some cabin camping so we can all get out of the house and have a vacation. My oncologist surprised me by saying that she had no issue with my 13 year inviting a friend to camp with us. She said that she thinks that is very low risk and a risk worth taking.

We are in such a unprecedented time. Those of us also getting treatment right now, are basically living in the Twilight Zone.

For myself, this means that everyone is more stressed and has fewer reserves. I’m trying to extend everyone a little extra measure of grace and understanding right now because, really, none of really know what we are doing.

If we ever figure it out and get in a good groove, just wait a few weeks, and everything will be different again.

I’m celebrating today. I just got FolFox treatment 9 out of 12.

The end is in sight!
Stage 3c
2/2020 Right colon hemicolectomy (invasive adenocarcinoma with micropillary features)
Moderately differentiated
Tumor size: 4.4 in greatest dimension Metastatic Carcinoma in 12 out of 28 lymph nodes
Extranodal extension identified
Margins negative

3/2020 Began 12 rounds of FolFox
9/2020 Finished FolFox
12/2020 PET Scan-NED
1-2021 ctDNA Test negative
5-2021 ctDNA Test negative
7-2021 ctDNA Test negative
9-2021 PET/CT Scan-NED

beach sunrise

Postby beach sunrise » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:47 pm

Please don't let your guard down for a minute with covid19. My uncle who had lymphoma passed away today from covid19. No clue where he got it really.
I have my own rules when going to the cancer center (I only go there and therapy place for IVC) and have had them since Feb. At first the nurses and docs would raise there eyebrows at me but now they implement some of them I have noticed.
Stay safe out there!
8/19 RC CEA 82.6 T3N0M0
5FU/rad 6 wk
IVC 75g 1 1/2 wks before surgery. Continue 2x a week
Surg 1/20 -margins T4bN1a IIIC G2 MSI- 1/20 LN+ LVI+ PNI-
pre cea 24 post 5.9
FOLFOX
7 rds 6-10 CEA 11.4 No more
CEA
7/20 11.1 8.8
8/20 7.8
9/20 8.8, 9, 8.6
10/20 8.1
11/20 8s
12/20 8s-9s
ADAPT++++ chrono
CEA
10/23/22 26.x
12/23/22 22.x
1/5 17.1
1/20 15.9
3/30 14.9
6/12 13.3
8/1 2.1
Nodule RML SUV 1.3 5mm
Rolles 3 of 4 lung nodules cancer
KRAS
Chem-sens test failed Not enough ca cells to test

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:45 pm

I believe in wearing a mask. I was told by my Onc that my immune system is compromised and advised me to be current with my flu shots. That was long before all this covid virus.

Here in Arizona, our governor made it mandatory to wear a mask outside of your home months ago. Most stores have a sign stating it will be required. Many business will even provide you with a mask if you need one. Between my husband and myself, we have cloth and disposable masks. We generally wear the cloth, but I keep disposable in my car. I used to wear my cloth mask, take it off inside of car, and put it back on when entering another place of business. Since Arizona had a spike this past month. If enter a store and return to car, take off and need to enter another store, I will grab the disposable mask now. We also keep hand sanitizers with us outside the home.

I had a friend die this past week from this virus. Yes she was elderly, last 80's, living in assisted living. But it a real shame this virus took her. She was a super lady, and I will miss her.

My concern is getting together with people who had a sick, virus wise, daughter. There is 4 generations living in this house. Great grandma, early 80's: grandma, early 60's and my friend: daughter 26, 27ish and got the virus. And her 4 yr old son. This was early in July. My friend did everything she could to keep those germs at bay. Daughter stayed in her room for the 2 weeks, only going out to bathroom. Great grandma survived this with heart issues, and wheelchair bound. We are suppose to hook up with them next weekend after almost a month of not seeing each other. I wonder about the virus living in the AC units after all this time. My friend was tested recently, she does not have the virus, nor any antibodies to it. She has not been exposed. Her husband was tested, I believe he will get results today, Friday. Daughter was retest sometime this past week. They decided not to test the 4 yr old. I am assuming the house is safe. But do worry. We must go to there home if we want to get together. Great grandma is wheelchair and needs bars in bathroom. Our house is not set up for that. When we get together, it's a pot luck dinner, we do not eat at restaurant. My Vietnam veteran friend loves to join and he is family. A good afternoon/evening with friends.

I will be GLAD when we have a vaccine to the is horrible virus.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:07 pm

Lee wrote:I will be GLAD when we have a vaccine to the is horrible virus.
Lee

AMEN to that Lee and there are some very good options on the fast track !!!
Just FYI, and I will respond into your post because you are a sensible homie :mrgreen:

we have had "mask" discussions here which went sideways before BUTT ...
they were about wearing "some kind of mask " to protect yourself.
Fair enough.

The current thinking is pretty much :
" if you wear a mask properly ... it will protect OTHERS from your droplets ! "

The way / type of masks being worn right now will NOT necessarily protect the wearer SO
I will say again
keep a distance, sanitize, stay away from crowds, don't touch your face etc etc etc
Unless you are wearing full, protective P-100, skin sealed approved respirators which include nose, mouth and EYES !!!!!!!!

I have never seen one, on anybody anywhere, except the one I used myself for asbestos remediations !

AND then we have hot spot crowd gatherings with NO PRECAUTIONS
and the infection rates SOAR..... DUH do ya think ????

I am taking nominations for Darwin Awards :evil:

I have seen a few hundred THOUSAND lately in my beloved USA

I do NOT know what is wrong with people Lee.

If you have any insight ..... let 'er rip !!

Cheers my friend
STAY SAFERIST !!!!!!

CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

roadrunner

Postby roadrunner » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:00 pm

Here are a couple of recent articles on the value of masks in protecting the wearer. According to these sources, masks appear reduce the dose of inhaled virus, thus protecting against infection or lessening severity of infection.

https://www.cleveland.com/coronavirus/2 ... gests.html

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/20/89322708 ... g-them-too

Just offering these for consideration. I completely agree that distancing, hand washing, and other personal protective measures are important and should not be disregarded if one wears a mask. More of an additive thing, it appears.
7/19: RC: Staged IIIA, T2N1M0
approx 4.25 cm, low/mid rectum, mod. well diff.; lung micronodule
8/19-10/19 4 rds.FOLFOX neoadjuvant, 3 w/Oxiplatin (reduced 70-75%)
neoadjuvant chemorad 11/19
4 rounds FOLFOX July-August 2020
ncCR 10/20; biopsies neg
TAE 11/20, tumor cells removed
Chest CT 3/30/21 growth in 2 nodules (3 and 5mm)
VATS 12/8/21 sub-pleural met 7mm.
SBRT nodule 1/22
6/20/22 TAE rectal polyp benign)
NED from 3/22 - 3/23
4 cycles FOLFIRI
LUL VATS lobectomy for radio resistant met 7/7/23

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”