I am the FNG and scared as hell. Unexpected Ultrasound

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Starz26

I am the FNG and scared as hell. Unexpected Ultrasound

Postby Starz26 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:16 am

Let me give a brief history of what I have been going through:

1. Laparoscopic gull bladder removal about 15 years ago
2. Loose stools ever since with urges to go immediately after eating. Solid stools at time
3. Starting about 8 months ago I had RUQ pain that felt like what my gallbladder pain was like. Came on after certain foods. Went away after a few days at first
reoccurred about 1 a month or so. Heating pad an motrin seemed to resolve it. Sometimes it would last for a week. No change in bowel habits during this time.
4. Had Ankle surgery March 16h and was immobile for the most part for 2-3 weeks
5. April 6th I had what felt like a bowel obstruction. Sever pain with little passing
6. After that would pass little pmts of pebbles then after about a week I started having looser what would be considered normal stools for most but pretty small for me
7. I believe there was some blood at times but nothing now.
8. Mirolax seemed to help and 2 months after it seems to be doing better?? The cramps only happened twice in the two months
9. Lost 10 lbs since March after the surgery.

Fast forward to yesterday. I have an ultrasound due to the RUQ pain that I though was bile duct spasms dues to the onset with specific foods. Well, I got a call today:

"There were two lesions on your liver that were 2.5cm (1 inch) in size and we believe is may be metastasis and we are scheduling you for a CT guided biopsy."

Due to Covid I have to take a covid test and wait 3 days before I can have the test and this is killing me. The doctor seemed pretty confident that this could not be anything else based on the radiologists reading of the 2D ultrasound...

I am left wondering:

1. Was my GI issue after surgery due to being immobile and should they have lasted this long or did some colon mass just suddenly have an immediate effect and change in my stool of the period of 24 hours.
2. I have 2 2.5cm lesions found incidentally on my liver via 2D ultrasound. No contrast etc. Many are saying it is very common to be benign but doing the internet read does not lead one to the same conclusion
3. I have read that colon cancer the has spread to the liver has a very low life expectancy. Like less than a year with 5yr being about 10%.
5. Last colonoscopy was about 10-15 years ago and was negative as far as I know.

So My story is no where near the same place that some of you are at and I admire each one of you. I am currently stuck with so much vague and possibly coincidental symptoms facing having to wait for 7 days before I find out any results...

My stats are:

47/M
5'10" 236 lbs
Cardiomyopathy
Not a lot of exercise due to above
Not the best diet and do not eat every meal. Usually once a day

Labs:

CBC normal
LFT: Direct Billirubin 0.3, ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 140

Has anyone been diagnosed after a random find from an ultrasound of the liver? Has anyone had these types of findings on ultrasound of the liver and it turn out to be benign?

At the very least thanks for listening!

Yes, I am confused, scared, and just looking for someone who has went through similar to understand better. If it turns out to be positive that means I would be in Stage IV-A at a minimum and that is not looking good for otherwise feeling pretty healthy for my activity level....

Lee

Re: I am the FNG and scared as hell. Unexpected Ultrasound

Postby Lee » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:37 am

Hi, sorry for the reason you are here.

For what it is worth, I had no symptoms, just bleeding hemorrhoids. My PCP decided those bleeding hemorrhoids were going to be my excuse for getting my baseline colonoscopy early in life. The rest of my story is in my signature line.

Many years prior, my mother ended up in the ER, rectal bleeding, serious stomach pain. They did a colonoscopy on her, no cancer not even a polyp, just a bad case of diverticulosis.

Last fall I had a cancer scare, I had radiation prior to my cancer surgery back in 2004, I am aware this puts me at a higher risk for bladder cancer. Last fall, I started passing blood. Got into my PCP, yep you have blood in your urine, sent me off to a Urologist. Urologist set up a Cat scan. Bladder looks fine, butt radiologist is picking up something small on my left kidney. Urologist can not see it, but sends me in for a MRI. MRI confirms there is something there. Now Urologist got to get samples of it. Cancer is at the top of everyones list.

During all of this, I see my GYN, explain what is going on. She is like, don't be surprised if the bleeding is not coming from my vagina. As she put it, she has never seen such bad scar tissue and damage as in my vagina. Radiation damage. I would have the surgery where the Urologist went inside my bladder, up a tube and inside my kidney to get samples from this suspicious spot. Bottom line, no cancer.

Why am I telling you this, truth is it could be a number of different things, butt we humans tend to jump to the worst conclusion, cancer. I know it is hard, but keep telling you self if could be a lot of things, cancer is just one possibility. If they suspect colon cancer you will be getting a colonoscopy.

Keep us post, avoid the Dr. Google, you can diagnoses yourself with anything with Dr. google.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

boxhill

Re: I am the FNG and scared as hell. Unexpected Ultrasound

Postby boxhill » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:10 pm

If the liver lesions are mets. where do they think the primary is? Are there any plans to do a CT or other imaging of your thoracic/abdominal/pelvic regions to find it? Or a colonoscopy?

I'm a little puzzled by leaping directly to liver biopsy without locating or looking for a primary. It sounds unusual to me. I am not a doctor, though....
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 nodes,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met out
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 CT NED
11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 lymph nodes in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda