Hello, I'm new here

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Burntoutzen

Hello, I'm new here

Postby Burntoutzen » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:15 pm

Hello,
I'm newly diagnosed and recently found this board (well, to be honest, my wife found it and said that I might find it interesting\helpful while going through this journey).

I was diagnosed Jan 21, 2020, after 2 colonoscopies (the first one failed, the colon cleanse didn't work)
First surgery Feb 11 only to find that because of size and location of tumor (Grand Central of veins, leaning on bladder, about the size of a large orange), could not be removed
Finally started chemo (after pushing back on surgeon who wanted to do ANOTHER surgery before starting chemo to give me a colostomy bag without looking at other opetions, but that’s a WHOLE different story), on March 3
Treatment plan is to do 6 rounds of chemo (FOLFOX) then take 4 weeks off, do a CT scan to see if tumor has shrunk enough to be removed (Keeping our fingers crossed!), have it removed, and then do another 6 rounds of chemo to finish anything remaining.

My experience with FOLFOX has been a little different from what everyone (including that Dr. Google that we all know).

Round 1 – everyone said that the first round would make me nauseous, I’d get cold sensitivity in my hands and wouldn’t be able to drink anything colder than room temperature. To be honest, I kept looking out for these side effects and never experience any of them. The only thing that I noticed was that I was REALLY tired, like getting out of bed took most of my energy.
Round 2 – This is where I started to notice a little of the cold sensitivity, but it wasn’t too bad. It was just when I picked up cold things, it would take about 10-15 seconds, then I would get a tingling sensation in my fingers but nothing too bad, and it went away pretty quick after I set the cold thing down. My energy started coming back too, I mean I wasn’t going to run a marathon or anything, but I felt well enough to do a little work around the house (moved a closet rod in my wife’s closet, replace a fluorescent light in the kitchen), so that helped boost my confidence and mood.
Round 3 – This one was a little tougher, I went in on my chemo day, they ran my labs, and I was told that my white blood cell count was low and that I was running a low fever. They called in a prescription for some antibiotics and sent me home. I got home, took a nap, woke up, ate a little food, and took another nap. When I woke up the next time, I was feeling warm, so I took my temperature and it was around 102.5. I took some Tylenol, waited about 30 minutes, took my temp again and it had not gone down at all. We called my oncologist who said that I needed to go to the ER. Of course, this scared both my wife and I to no end, so we packed a bag and ran down to the ER. I was there for 4 days, got a LOT of fluids, antibiotics, and the shot (I forget the name of it) to help my body increase my WBC. In a matter of days, my WBC count went from 300 to 15000. I got out of the hospital on Thursday, had a good weekend, and went in that next Monday to get round 3. After getting round 3 done, I have had a pretty good amount of energy, only felt nauseous one time (but I think that’s because I forgot about everything and ate too much to fast on Easter, but who doesn’t do that??).

I go back in 5 days to get round 4 behind me, and hopefully my body keeps responding the way it has after the first 3! I'll try to keep posting after each treatment, so maybe my experience will help others deal with their diagnosis and treatment. I know that when I got mine, it was a LOT of information that was thrown at us all at once, and it has taken a LONG time to get our heads and arms around it all.

- burntoutzen

stu

Re: Hello, I'm new here

Postby stu » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:51 pm

Big welcome to the forum . So glad you found us . It was round two that made a bit more of an impression with side effects for my mum then the next few rounds were ok but round six was a tough one . However I am delighted to say it was all worth it and I am hoping it’s the same for you .
You sound as though you have a supportive team around you . Can only be a good thing .
Stay safe and keep contributing. This forum made a big difference to my family .
Take care,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

claudine

Postby claudine » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:43 pm

Welcome! Keep an eye out for peripehral neuropathy while on Oxaliplatin - my husband still hasn't recovered 1.5 years after his last infusion. Some folks here have gotten good results by putting their feet and hands on ice while getting the infusion. I hope it does a number on your tumor and surgery can take it all out next time!
Wife of Dx 04/18 (51 yo). MSS, KRAS G12A, no primary

Tumors: L4 04/18; left adrenal gland & small lung nodules 03/19
rectum 02/22 (pT3 pN0 stage 2A); L3 09/22

Surgeries: intestinal resect. 05/18 (no cancer - Crohn's); adrenalectomy 02/20
L3-L4-L5 fusion and corpectomy 05/20; LAR 04/22; ileo reversal 09/22
L2-L3 fusion and corpectomy 09/22

Treatments: EBRT 04/18; SBRT 02/19; Failed adjuvant Xelox ; Folfiri/Avastin 03/19 - 01/20
adjuvant chemorad (Xeloda) 06/22; SBRT 11/22; Xeloda/Avastin since 01/24

roadrunner

Postby roadrunner » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:54 pm

burntoutzen:

Sounds like you’re doing well (other than the febrile neutropenia, of course, and even there you bounced back nicely). Good work so far! I only got through 4 cycles of that stuff, experienced arrhythmias, big DVT, massive liver enzyme spikes, neutropenia — though not as bad as yours — low platelet counts, ahh the joy that was. Bailed after 4 to do chemoradiation (for a rectal tumor). I didn’t really mind the cold sensation, had little nausea, fought fatigue pretty well by exercising when I could, even ran a bit on my off weeks. I understand that the neuropathy can get pretty bad, but usually after 10 cycles or so. Mostly tolerable other than the crazy medical stuff I got. Sounds like you’re in a decent place with it. My only advice would be to make sure your oncologist doesn’t get miserly with the Neulasta (or neupogen, if that was your CSF), don’t want those WBCs down with COVID-19 around!

Oh yeah, and if it cheers you up neutropenia is correlated with the FOLFOX being effective against the cancer, so there’s a silver lining to what you went through (this proved true in my case, as just the 4 cycles reduced the tumor by 60-75%). Good Luck!
7/19: RC: Staged IIIA, T2N1M0
approx 4.25 cm, low/mid rectum, mod. well diff.; lung micronodule
8/19-10/19 4 rds.FOLFOX neoadjuvant, 3 w/Oxiplatin (reduced 70-75%)
neoadjuvant chemorad 11/19
4 rounds FOLFOX July-August 2020
ncCR 10/20; biopsies neg
TAE 11/20, tumor cells removed
Chest CT 3/30/21 growth in 2 nodules (3 and 5mm)
VATS 12/8/21 sub-pleural met 7mm.
SBRT nodule 1/22
6/20/22 TAE rectal polyp benign)
NED from 3/22 - 3/23
4 cycles FOLFIRI
LUL VATS lobectomy for radio resistant met 7/7/23

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:16 pm

Hey Burnt Out Zen

Sounds like you have a pretty good attitude to it all. I kind of looked at chemo a necessary evil I had to go through and for me, it made the down times a little easier.
I got smashed about round 6 / 7 and ended up vomitting for 2 days, and had to have fluids, but I found that after that if I was able to keep my fluids up prior to the infusions, and then keep drinking that week it made things easier. Another member here kept telling me to have pickle juice as it was full of electrolytes. That helped, but as I was not in to eating much at that time, I couldn't eat enough pickles to get the juice so just got some electrolyte replacement tablets that I dissolved in wanted that did the trick.

As people have said, the next thing that will happen will be some peripheral neuropathy, due to the cumulative effects of Oxliplatin. I got to round 10 and my onc removed Oxi from the last 2 rounds.

Good luck mate.
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

Gravelyguy

Postby Gravelyguy » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:26 pm

Welcome!

This is a great place with many knowledgeable people and those of us that don’t know much but they let in the club anyway.

Dave
6/17 dx mRC t3n1m1 very low rectal tumor 2 liver Mets 1.3 cm and .9 cm

6/17 begin 4 rounds Folfox w/Vectibix
9/17 short course radiation
10/17 rectal and liver resection LAR with coloanal anastomosis (no rectum left)
11/17-3/18 8 rounds Folfox
6/18 still NED!! Takedown
8/28/18 still NED! CEA .8 new low for me
10/18/18 colonoscopy clear
12/12/18 CEA .9 still NED!
6/11/19 CEA 1.0
12/19/19 CEA 1.0 still NED!
6/17/20 CEA 1.1 still NED!
12/15/20 CEA 1.1still NED!
12/16/21 CEA 1.2 still NED!

Burntoutzen

Postby Burntoutzen » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:05 am

Thanks so much for the positive feedback, I’m already glad that I found this forum and believe it’ll be very helpful as I continue on this journey.

I’m just glad to know that there are others out there that are having (or had) similar experiences. I know that it’s going to be a long journey and that I need to take it one step at a time... but with the right support team around me, I know I can beat this thing!!

- burntoutzen

JJH

Postby JJH » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:08 am

Burntoutzen wrote: ... but I felt well enough to do a little work around the house (moved a closet rod in my wife’s closet, replace a fluorescent light in the kitchen), so that helped boost my confidence and mood.

Claudine wrote:... Keep an eye out for peripehral neuropathy while on Oxaliplatin - my husband still hasn't recovered 1.5 years after his last infusion...

kiwiinoz wrote:...
As people have said, the next thing that will happen will be some peripheral neuropathy, due to the cumulative effects of Oxaliplatin...

Hi BurntOutZen,

Welcome to the forum. Just a note to mention that what caught my eye in your post was your statement that you were able to replace a fluorescent light in the kitchen. For me, I can no longer climb a ladder or stand on a chair to replace light bulbs. It has now been over seven years since I finished Oxaliplatin, and now the peripheral neuropathy still has not gone away. There is not enough sensation in my feet or ankles for me to tell whether or not my feet are firmly placed on a ladder step or on a stairwell step. It's the same for walking up a stairwell, especially in dim light: I need to have a hand-rail to manage the stairs, because I cannot tell when my foot has landed firmly on the next step. It's a lack of peripheral sensation, not a tingling sensation.

Maybe before too many more cycles you should discuss your Oxaliplatin dose level with your oncologist. The dosage could be lowered, or the rate of infusion could be decreased in order to spread the Oxaliplatin over a longer period of time. Or the Oxaliplatin could be discontinued completely before the last cycle. Try to discuss the available options with your oncologist.

Also, check with your oncologist whether the dose levels of oxaliplatin for your post-surgery FOLFOX will be the same as what they are now for the pre-surgery FOLFOX. They might be different; the dose levels for adjuvant FOLFOX might be higher that those of neo-adjuvant FOLFOX. Check it out to be sure.
"The darkest hour is just before the dawn" - Thomas Fuller (1650)
●●●

Burntoutzen

Postby Burntoutzen » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:44 am

Just a little update, I got a call from my oncologist and she is adding Nuelasta Onpro to my treatment plan. I will be getting it put on the same day that I get my pump taken off next week.

I’m just curious to see if anyone had any experience with it so I can know what to expect..

Thanks everyone for any feedback or advice!

-burntoutzen

roadrunner

Postby roadrunner » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:19 pm

Great to hear on the Neulasta. It is an effective CSF. Don’t be surprised if you get some “bone pain” discomfort from it (a fairly common side effect), but it does seem a very good idea in your case. Also, if you have COVID problems in your area, perhaps they can arrange for an in-home takedown (plus your shot) to avoid the trip back in? I got my pump taken down at home, and that worked well. In some countries I believe they let you/teach you to take it down yourself (and do your own shots), but not sure if thst’s an option for you (or if you’d be comfortable with that). Finally, I’d try to monitor your CBC/WBC nadirs and rebounds (you’re probably doing blood tests) to know when you’re down s not/when you bounce back (or if the CSF protects you the whole way through).
7/19: RC: Staged IIIA, T2N1M0
approx 4.25 cm, low/mid rectum, mod. well diff.; lung micronodule
8/19-10/19 4 rds.FOLFOX neoadjuvant, 3 w/Oxiplatin (reduced 70-75%)
neoadjuvant chemorad 11/19
4 rounds FOLFOX July-August 2020
ncCR 10/20; biopsies neg
TAE 11/20, tumor cells removed
Chest CT 3/30/21 growth in 2 nodules (3 and 5mm)
VATS 12/8/21 sub-pleural met 7mm.
SBRT nodule 1/22
6/20/22 TAE rectal polyp benign)
NED from 3/22 - 3/23
4 cycles FOLFIRI
LUL VATS lobectomy for radio resistant met 7/7/23

JJH

Postby JJH » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:12 pm

Burntoutzen wrote:Just a little update, I got a call from my oncologist and she is adding Nuelasta Onpro to my treatment plan. I will be getting it put on the same day that I get my pump taken off next week.

I’m just curious to see if anyone had any experience with it so I can know what to expect..

Thanks everyone for any feedback or advice!

-burntoutzen

Yes, I have some advice: If you want to search for persons here with Neulasta experience, you have to spell it correctly. If you spell it the way you just did in your last post you won't find anyone. If you spell it correctly you will have much better luck.

https://www.neulasta.com/onpro/
"The darkest hour is just before the dawn" - Thomas Fuller (1650)
●●●

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:30 pm

I had Neulasta with Folfox from the third or fourth infusion until the last (12th). Like you, I had an injection when the pump was removed. It worked like a charm.

I did have some nasty bone pain the very first time, because I was stupid and ignored the advice to take Claritin. (The reason was that I never found Claritin particularly effective for my season allergies, preferring Allegra.) From then on I took Claritin for a few days and suffered no bone pain. People have had slightly different experiences in terms of when and for how long to take it. If you search the forum you'll find some discussion. Honestly, I can't recall exactly what I did, but I think I'd consider taking it daily for four or five days starting on the day you get your injection, and adjust as necessary.
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable
6/28/19 Pause Key, predisone for joint pain
7/31/19 Restart Key
9/19 CT stable
Pain: all fails but Celebrex
12/23/19 CT stable
5/20 MRI stable/NED
6/20 Stop Key
All MRIs NED

Rock_Robster

Postby Rock_Robster » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:43 am

I also had Neulasta with my last 3-4 cycles; it worked great and sent my neutrophils and WBCs soaring. I definitely had some bone pain - apparently the majority of your white blood cells are produced in your spine, ribs and hips which is definitely where I felt it. It wasn’t super bad; I just felt like I’d fallen off a small ladder about two days ago.

I found a regular combination of Claritin (loratadine) and Aleve (naproxen) worked best for relieving it. Some people suggest ibuprofen, but i found the naproxen worked better. I started taking the Claritin the day before the injection (which was done on my disconnect day). Warm things helped too - a warm shower, bath or a heat pack. The bone pain kicked in a day or two after the injection, peaked around day 3-4, then disappeared almost completely in a day or two.

Good luck!
Rob
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
8/19 FOLFOX, FOLFOXIRI, FOLFIRI
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
11/21 Liver met, PALN, lung nodules
3/22 PVE, lymphadenectomy, liver SBRT
10/22 PALN SBRT
11/22 Liver mets, peri nodule. Xeloda+Bev
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial
12/23 Modified FOLFIRI+Bev
3/24 VAXINIA (CF33 + hNIS) trial

Burntoutzen

Postby Burntoutzen » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:21 am

Thanks for all the advice, I now have round 4 behind me, got the pump off and the Neulasta will administer this afternoon. I have to say that I'm a little nervous, but if it will help keep my WBC and neutraphils on the right levels, then I'm all for it!

I have been taking the Claritin, so hopefully I won't have too much in the way of side effects, although I am prepared for the body aches and bone pain.
The biggest thing that I've noticed after round 4 is that the cold sensitivity has increased, sometimes just going from one room to another in our house will cause some tingling in my fingers... but again, nothing unmanageable.

Hope everyone out there is staying safe, healthy and (most importantly) SANE!

- burntoutzen

beach sunrise

Postby beach sunrise » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:47 pm

Hi BurnOut, I had my 5th infusion of folfox this week. #5 has got me. Nausea, stomach cramps and cold sensitivity but cold sensitivity might really be neuropathy, I don't know for sure. Sounds like you are doing OK with folfox so far. Stay on top of the side effects.
8/19 RC CEA 82.6 T3N0M0
5FU/rad 6 wk
IVC 75g 1 1/2 wks before surgery. Continue 2x a week
Surg 1/20 -margins T4bN1a IIIC G2 MSI- 1/20 LN+ LVI+ PNI-
pre cea 24 post 5.9
FOLFOX
7 rds 6-10 CEA 11.4 No more
CEA
7/20 11.1 8.8
8/20 7.8
9/20 8.8, 9, 8.6
10/20 8.1