4 years post diagnosis and CEA numbers made a huge jump

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
missb2020

4 years post diagnosis and CEA numbers made a huge jump

Postby missb2020 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:56 am

My husband is 4 years post diagnosis of Colon Cancer. ( Tumor removed and no cancer in lymph nodes but was in fat cells outside the colon wall) He did Capecitabine (Xeloda) for treatment. I think it was for 6 months.

He has been doing MRI and blood work every 6 months. On the previous 6 month checkup scans were fine but CEA was up to 5 so they did a new blood draw and was back down to 3.9. Now 6 months later ( today) the DR told him he has a spot on his Liver that wasn't there before and now the CEA number is up to 12. Doing a new MRI tomorrow to verify the spot on the liver. Anyone have any similar situations? I am trying not to freak out!

stu

Re: 4 years post diagnosis and CEA numbers made a huge jump

Postby stu » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:07 pm

Hi ,
It’s hard not to get anxious when CEA does a spike in you . We have had it both ways . My mum has had CEA that has spiked for six months and then returned to normal . Had two scans which showed nothing . She also has had nodules that have turned out to be nothing . However she has had a spike that resulted in a recurrence. It was quickly removed and did not cause any other issues .
I wish your husband all the very best .
take care ,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .