Meeting tomorrow for staging - what do I need to request?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
UKgirl

Meeting tomorrow for staging - what do I need to request?

Postby UKgirl » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:06 am

Hi all,

I'm meeting surgeon tomorrow following resection of colon on 15th February.

In addition to the stage and proposed treatment which should be confirmed, is there anything else I should request at this stage?

They've already advised I am KRAS mutated but I can see there are different types so I will ask about this.

My Dad had colon cancer 7 years ago and the information he received was so limited and referred just to the stage and suggested chemotherapy. I assume I need to request a full pathology report?

I'm in the UK and I don't think as much information is provided as in US and other countries. If anyone from UK could chime in with your experiences.
Thanks so much!

stu

Re: Meeting tomorrow for staging - what do I need to request?

Postby stu » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:05 pm

Hi ,

It’s been a while but the surgeon primarily checked on post op healing , asked questions about the recovery .
Then gave a more in-depth summary of surgical margins etc and what they achieved during surgery.
They answered any questions relating to that and went over any concerns relating to their findings regarding pathology eg lymph nodes etc .
They then moved onto the next stage in the referral process and MDT recommendations.
To be honest they have always been very thorough and honest regarding any questions .

The oncologist was also very thorough and went through latest research regarding benefits etc .

I think you will find it fine . My mum has had eight different surgeons involved and each one has been really informative if you wish that . There has been occasions where my mum has declined. Information and they were accepting of that too .

They do have a fuller picture at this stage so can piece together pathology and post surgical findings to form a better prognosis. But I certainly did not feel it was hard to get the information .

Hope it goes well for you ,

Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

JJH

Postby JJH » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:28 pm

UKgirl wrote:Hi all,

I'm meeting surgeon tomorrow following resection of colon on 15th February.

In addition to the stage and proposed treatment which should be confirmed, is there anything else I should request at this stage?...

I'm not from the UK, but here are some posts with questions to ask either the surgeon, or the oncologist. Actually, questions pertaining to chemotherapy regimens should be addressed to oncologists because that's their domain of expertise.

Questions to ask the doctor
https://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60747&p=481109#p481109
http://go.ccalliance.org/treatmentquestions
https://health.usnews.com/conditions/cancer/articles/questions-to-ask-your-oncologist-at-your-first-cancer-appointment

Here is some information on KRAS/BRAF mutations and genomic testing of tumors.
https://www.ccalliance.org/colorectal-cancer-information/biomarkers/biomarkers-101
"The darkest hour is just before the dawn" - Thomas Fuller (1650)
●●●

UKgirl

Postby UKgirl » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:05 pm

Thank you so much JJH and Stu.

Ill let you know tomorrow how it goes x

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”