Huge High Grade Dysplasia Polyp

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
njknittle

Huge High Grade Dysplasia Polyp

Postby njknittle » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:17 am

I'm 27 years old and just had my first colonoscopy a week ago due to some blood in stools. After I woke he said he found a HUGE polyp that he couldn't get with the colonoscopy cause it was the flat type. He also said he took A LOT of biopsies. Went to the surgeons office and he said the biopsy showed high grade dysplasia and now I will need a sigmoid colectomy in order to remove it. Has anyone had experience with something similar or heard stories? I'm so afraid it has spread to another part of my body when they cut me open for surgery. I just want peace of mind. Has anyone had a big high grade dysplasia Polyp removed and everything turned out ok?? Thanks for the feedback in advance.

njknittle

Re: Huge High Grade Dysplasia Polyp

Postby njknittle » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:41 pm

Also the surgeon was pretty optimistic about it not being late stage cancer but can he really tell just by looking at it?

Utwo

Postby Utwo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:12 pm

njknittle wrote:he found a HUGE polyp that he couldn't get with the colonoscopy cause it was the flat type.
Yeap. Been there.
During first colonoscopy my flat a.k.a. sessile polyp was not removed due to lack of skills and/or equipment.
However it was removed during second colonoscopy by another doctor.
Modern technology allows to remove sessile polyps through colonoscopy.
Eventually a laparoscopic surgery was recommended, but this could not have been predicted in advance.

What is actually "huge"? Is it 3 cm or 7 cm?
If it's on a smaller side you may want to get a 2nd opinion.
58 yo male at diagnosis: T1bN0M0, 0/15 nodes, low grade/moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
03/2016 colonoscopy: 2 small polyps removed in left colon; CEA = 1.3
04/2016 colonoscopy: caecum sessile 3.5 cm polyp piecemeal removed with kind of clear margins
05/2016 "prophylactic" laparoscopic right hemicolectomy - bleeding, leak, infection
06/2017 CT scan, colonoscopy OK; CEA = 1.6
A lot of funny stuff discovered by CT scans in liver, kidney, lungs, arteries, gallbladder, lymph node, pancreas

Deb m

Postby Deb m » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:45 am

When my husband had his scope that found his tumor/polyp, they said there was a lot of very high grade dysplasia and the polyp could not be removed via the scope procedure. He told us because of the dysplasia and the polyps size, he believed it was cancerous. He was correct, it was cancer. It however was a stage llbt4a. The t4 rating was not good, but overall I realize it could of been so much worse and he ended up doing fine with the folfox and has been cancer free for over 9 years now. Just because there is high grade dysplasia does not necessarily mean advanced stage. I will hope and pray that that's the case with you.

zx10guy

Postby zx10guy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:34 pm

I had a polyp with high grade dysplasia. What you have to understand is high grade dysplasia is precancerous but the last stage before cells turn into cancer. While it's not great, it's not bad news either. But with this in mind, there could still be cancer within the polyp because the biopsies are just samplings of the areas the doctor is able to collect samples. In my situation, the polyp was in my appendix right at the opening. My doc could only get samples where he could reach with the scope. Obviously he could get to all areas of the polyp nor remove it. I had a right hemicolectomy. Pathology came back with the polyp being stage 0 appendix cancer. The report said cancer cells were found in the middle of the polyp other wise nothing else so in situ. I did not have to go through chemo. This was back in June of 2016.

I would say, I'm all clear/fine. But I've been dealing with extreme weirdness with my CEA despite clear scans. I've put up a few posts on my situation here.

Ehut

Postby Ehut » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:52 pm

I had a large polyp, but bulb shaped and was removed during colonoscopy, biopsy showed negative for cancer. The GI doctor recommended a follow up colonoscopy in 2 years, but I was diagnosed stage IV only 14 months later. Bottom line: whatever procedure you have to remove it, insist on follow up colonoscopies and even CT scans. In my case it spread to my lymph nodes and liver. I was fortunate enough to beat it, but most are not so lucky.
Dx 12/11 rectal stage IV w/ 6 mets to liver, age 35
4 cycles FOLFOX 12/11 to 2/12
short course radiation 2/12
rectal/liver resection 3/12, temp ileostomy
8 cycles FOLFOX/FOLFIRI 4/12 to 8/12
ileostomy reversal 10/12
port out 10/13
1/17: Added daughter to family!
12/19: Added son to family!
NED for 11+ years and counting!

CherieCM

Postby CherieCM » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:36 pm

Choose life, and all it offers. Have the surgery and put it all behind you, knowing you have done all you can to have your best life.

One month ago I had and extended right hemicolectomy (ERC) based on 2 surgeons being almost certain that the large tumour in my transverse colon was cancer. They based this on the sheer size of the tumour (5cm x 3.5cm) and imaging results including it appearing ulcerated, and of course, their experience. Biopsy results taken at the time of colonoscopy are not necessarily representative of the whole growth since they are only from selected areas accessible during the procedure. In my case they showed low dysplasia, but given the highly suspicious tumour this could not be certain that that was the case throughout the tumour and certainty was absolutely needed.

Surgery also allows full staging and a treatment plan to be complied once results of the tumour, lymph nodes, etc is to hand.

I have been so, so lucky. Immediately after the resection the surgeon said the tumour was cancerous, based on sight and experience. I bounced back from the surgery very quickly and am sure my youngish age, fitness, and outlook helped here. I just wanted the tumour out and my diagnosis confirmed and to know the plan going forwards.

To everyones astonishment the surgery histology confirmed no malignancy for this precancerous lesion or lymph nodes or spread. May the same happen for you.

I have no regrets on the ERC. The tumour had to come out in any event and the location required an ERC which would give me the best chance at life. Additionally, looking on the positive side, my odds of bowel cancer are now much reduced since my bowel is much reduced (!) and I have the benefit of knowing that as at my staging CT scan my body appeared cancer free (apart from the tumour), so that is something that most people don't have the advantage of knowing. It's been a really interesting journey, and the most frightening 35 days of my life from the initial colonoscopy to the surgery results, this over the christmas period, which made it even harder.

Good luck to you, and may you have an excellent outcome for your precancerous lesion.

I have done a huge amount of research during this journey, and found this site very informative and most helpful. Thankyou.

njknittle

Postby njknittle » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:05 am

Well the polyp was removed Feb 13th 2020. Had the Colectomy (no bag) and he said everything looked really good. He said there was nothing growing on the outside of the colon like you would see at stage 2. He said worst case scenario the polyp is stage 1 and if so it's already been removed as well as the lymphnodes so all they would have to do is "mop up" chemo just to make sure everything is clear. I'm so thankful I got it checked when I did. Never going to procrastinate again when I see severe symptoms.

Deb m

Postby Deb m » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:15 pm

So happy everything is looking positive for you.

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:16 am

I'm glad everything is going well for you. :)
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”