Questions about post chemo-radiation stage

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
aam7.00

Questions about post chemo-radiation stage

Postby aam7.00 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:06 am

Hello Everyone,

I have been following this forum on and off for the last couple of months and i am grateful for the support and advice, however i am worried about something and thought i should just post and find out what you guys have to say

I have moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma of the rectosigmoid with affected lymph nodes and last week I finished chemo radiation sessions, currently undergoing and "wait and watch" period

The surgery is scheduled for february , what i am worried about is the following :

1) Is there even a remote chance that during the waiting period there is a likelihood of a remote metastasis, in case the treatment did not work?
2) how long do diarrhea and the loss of taste/appetite last after CRT?

I know I might sound scared but is there something i should be doing now ?
M 33 smoker
Diagnosed with rectosigmoid cancer
MRI & CT SCAN- suggests regional lymph node metastasis
11\5\2019 to 12\12\2019 - 28 sessions (fractions) of Radiation therapy with Capecitabine

CRguy

Re: Questions about post chemo-radiation stage

Postby CRguy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:12 pm

Welcome to the BEST forum nobody ever wants to HAVE to join !!!
in a nutshell :

The wait from cessation of CRT to surgery is to allow the latent effects of radiation to continue for a while …
to continue to affect the tumor AND to allow the tissues time to normalize so that surgery will have a chance for normal healing …
aam7.00 wrote:1) Is there even a remote chance that during the waiting period there is a likelihood of a remote metastasis, in case the treatment did not work?

Yes ... BUTT that is what follow up surveillance is for ... to keep an eye on things elsewhere while the primary tumor is being dealt with.
Adjuvant chemo ( after surgery ) can also be added to "clean up anything which remains"

this is individual. I had minimal diarrhea, easily treated with meds. Appetite was not a real issue = I could always find something which appealed to me.
TASTE ???? I believe I still suffer from blunted gustatory perceptions :twisted:
(( FYI I enjoyed some fine wines and now ..... not as much ... which also may be a good thing overall ))

remember we are here to give our support and share experiences
Best wishes moving forward

CRguy on the Journey
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:49 am

aam7.00 wrote:... The surgery is scheduled for february ...
I know I might sound scared but is there something i should be doing now ?

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for setting up your signature before your first post!

One thing you could do now is to read the "Informed Consent" documents for this type of surgery and discuss the details with your doctor:

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/150284/colorectal_19.pdf

The file above contains two documents, a 2-page Informed Consent document followed by a 4-page informational document on "Resection of the Rectum". In the section on risks associated with this procedure (page 3 of the second document) it says:
Increased risk in smokers
An increased risk of wound infection, chest infection, heart and lung complications and thrombosis.
Recommendation
Giving up smoking before the operation will help reduce the risk

So, one of the things you could do right now is to look into ways of giving up smoking before surgery.

aam7.00

Postby aam7.00 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:59 am

Thanks so much for the tips, Jacques. I have surgery coming up in a couple of weeks.
M 33 smoker
11\5\2019 to 12\12\2019 - 28 sessions (fractions) of Radiation therapy with Capecitabine

aam7.00

Postby aam7.00 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:12 am

CRguy wrote:Welcome to the BEST forum nobody ever wants to HAVE to join !!!
in a nutshell :

The wait from cessation of CRT to surgery is to allow the latent effects of radiation to continue for a while …
to continue to affect the tumor AND to allow the tissues time to normalize so that surgery will have a chance for normal healing …
aam7.00 wrote:1) Is there even a remote chance that during the waiting period there is a likelihood of a remote metastasis, in case the treatment did not work?

Yes ... BUTT that is what follow up surveillance is for ... to keep an eye on things elsewhere while the primary tumor is being dealt with.
Adjuvant chemo ( after surgery ) can also be added to "clean up anything which remains"

this is individual. I had minimal diarrhea, easily treated with meds. Appetite was not a real issue = I could always find something which appealed to me.
TASTE ???? I believe I still suffer from blunted gustatory perceptions :twisted:
(( FYI I enjoyed some fine wines and now ..... not as much ... which also may be a good thing overall ))

remember we are here to give our support and share experiences
Best wishes moving forward

CRguy on the Journey

Thanks so much Crguy. I hope you're doing well too. I have surgery coming up next week
M 33 smoker

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”