Airline experiences?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ginabeewell

Airline experiences?

Postby ginabeewell » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:28 pm

My husband and I are both Executive Platinum travelers on American Airlines, and we regularly fly AA from Chicago to New York for treatment.

We have been shocked at how great AA has been when we needed to cancel or rebook flights. MSK just writes a letter that says due to treatment we needed to come later / stay longer or whatever, and AA credits the ticket (or part of the ticket) that is impacted.

But now we are trying to make some plans for an end of year “mileage run” to make sure my husband requalifies. Here’s the catch: I don’t know when I will resume chemo, so there is a 50/50 chance if we book something, we would need to cancel it due to chemo.

I’m just wondering if the airline will be similarly flexible if we are talking about leisure travel being impacted by treatment vs treatment travel being impacted? Does anyone have any experience?

The tickets are reasonably priced for the number of qualifying miles we would get (about 15k) - $2k for round trip to Istanbul, in premium economy, and we have systemwide upgrades that would probably get us biz class seats for at least the Chicago to London leg. I really want to do it!!
49 YO mom of twins (11) lucky stepmom of 16/19 year olds
9/17/18 DX stage 4 CRC w inoperable liver mets CEA 931
Currently NED!

Join me on a lookback of my journey via my Strive for Five on Substack here:
https://ginajacobson.substack.com

All treatment details here:
https://www.weareallmadeofstars.net/col ... nt-journey

My favorite posts here:
https://weareallmadeofstars.net/favorite-posts

KimT

Re: Airline experiences?

Postby KimT » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:15 pm

I lived in Thailand for several years. My experience with international flights in general is there is a lot less flexibility. There are limited flights to start with. Some of these long flights might be offered only once per day. Chicago to New York is a short flight with dozens of flights offered daily. There is a lot more flexibility when flights are offered many times daily.

I would expect any airline to be much less flexible with international flights due to limited flights offered. I once had to spend the night in Detroit when I missed the only flight to Narita offered that day by delta due to a delay in Dayton, Ohio. I would suggest calling the airline to get a feel for now they would handle a need to change an international flight.
2/10 dx colon cancer
right hemicolectomy 3/19/10
Stage 2a 0/43 nodes
Lynch syndrome
3/14/10 colon resection/ removal of metal clips
Nov 11 dx ovarian cancer

ginabeewell

Postby ginabeewell » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:18 pm

Good point about the difference between international and domestic. There are several daily ORD-LHR flights but fewer LHR-IST - and those are operated by British Air which might be less flexible.

I will give a call. Maybe also check out travel insurance.
Currently NED!

My favorite posts here:

AlexandraZ

Postby AlexandraZ » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:28 pm

I don't know anything about that, but a trip to Istanbul sounds great!!! I hope you work it out. :D
Boyfriend 28yo dx February 2019, CEA 70,480
Stage 4 CRC with multiple mets to liver & lungs
KRAS, NRAS, BRAF wild type, MSS
12x FOLFIRI + Vectibix
September 2019 CEA 210, 60% reduction in size, chemo break!

Siti

Postby Siti » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:09 pm

I think the best way is to book a flexible ticket. That way you can change the flight with a small fee — but of course you’ll have to pay the full fare and not promo ticket. Alternatively I think most platinum credit cards have insurance in case of medical emergencies — perhaps buying with that credit card could work?

And yes you should go!! :)
DH (54) DX on 5/7/19
Sigmoid|G3|LN:30/31|MSS|WT KRAS, NRAS, BRAF
7/19 PET distant LN para-aorta neck hip (0.5-1.5cm)
7/19 Lap resection
26/8 to 20/12/19 CAPEOX+Bev 7x
6/11/19 CT 3 cycle LN shrunk
1/20 Cap+Bev
4/20 TS-1+Bev due to bad HFS
NED 4 years
8/23 PET recurrence chest LN growing since Feb. CEA May(4.5>5.1>5.9)
9/23 Stopped Bev, CEA Sept(8.7) Radio 17x
11/23 PET 1+ supraclavicular LN, CEA (3.4>2.5)
12/23 Lymphadenectomy
1/24 Narrow margins, 1/5 +LN, 1.4cm +tissue, TMB (19)

Rock_Robster

Postby Rock_Robster » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:37 pm

I agree with others’ comments that international usually has less flexibility than domestic. I’ve found little flexibility in the past with operators like Cathay and Malaysia. It’s also good to confirm who is actually the flight operator, as often airline partners’ flexibility on codeshare flights is even more limited.

As Siti suggests my solution has been to buy semi-flexible fares; as long as it’s an airline you fly with regularly then they don’t have to be fully cancellable (this is usually very expensive), but if they are flexible for date and route changes then this can be enough to be sure you don’t lose your money. As an example, Emirates are really good with this - their flexible fares basically become like travel credit if you need to make changes.

Enjoy the trip!
Rob
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
8/19 FOLFOX, FOLFOXIRI, FOLFIRI
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
11/21 Liver met, PALN, lung nodules
3/22 PVE, lymphadenectomy, liver SBRT
10/22 PALN SBRT
11/22 Liver mets, peri nodule. Xeloda+Bev
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial
12/23 Modified FOLFIRI+Bev
3/24 VAXINIA (CF33 + hNIS) trial

horizon

Postby horizon » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:14 am

I don't know about the International part but Southwest is incredibly flexible. They don't care if you cancel up to ten minutes before the flight. You could use them for the Chicago to New York part.

I love flying with points but this always is in the back of my head. I don't know what happens if you get sick and can't make the flight.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

ginabeewell

Postby ginabeewell » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:44 am

horizon wrote:I don't know about the International part but Southwest is incredibly flexible. They don't care if you cancel up to ten minutes before the flight. You could use them for the Chicago to New York part.

I love flying with points but this always is in the back of my head. I don't know what happens if you get sick and can't make the flight.

Flying with points is far and away the most flexible option. If you have top tier status you can cancel minutes before the flight and get all your mileage back!

Unfortunately for a mileage run, you need to pay for an actual ticket to get qualifying miles. And of course it needs to be on your selected airline, which dramatically reduces the number of appealing destinations on good fares!!

I did a little research today; worst case if we had to cancel we would each pay a $500 change fee. In other words, of the $4k ticket price, we might be on the hook for 25% of that.

The language in the refund section of AA is exactly the same for domestic and international; and there is no distinguishing between travel for treatment / travel interrupted by treatment. The language itself unfortunately is quite vague, so I think there is a 50/50 chance they would refund the whole ticket based on what they’ve done in the past.

Net, we might risk it. Honestly at this point bigger risk in my mind is getting all excited about the trip and then chemo timing falling just in time to ruin it!

I can’t stop singing They Might Be Giants: Istanbul not Constantinople...
Currently NED!

My favorite posts here:

horizon

Postby horizon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:33 am

ginabeewell wrote:
horizon wrote:Flying with points is far and away the most flexible option. If you have top tier status you can cancel minutes before the flight and get all your mileage back!

That's good to know! I don't have status with any airlines. I just earn Chase UR points through my organic spend and transfer them to whatever airline works best for me for the trip.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

claudine

Postby claudine » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:55 pm

A little while back I looked into cancellation insurances; there are some that will allow for any pre-existing condition (they're more expensive, of course). But not all pre-existing medical condition exclusion waivers cover cancer so one needs to do their homework carefully! We ended up not buying tickets - international, for France, which were super cheap at the time, but I think insurance is a % of the ticket cost, so the more expensive the ticket, the more expensive the insurance (which makes sense).
Wife of Dx 04/18 (51 yo). MSS, KRAS G12A, no primary

Tumors: L4 04/18; left adrenal gland & small lung nodules 03/19
rectum 02/22 (pT3 pN0 stage 2A); L3 09/22

Surgeries: intestinal resect. 05/18 (no cancer - Crohn's); adrenalectomy 02/20
L3-L4-L5 fusion and corpectomy 05/20; LAR 04/22; ileo reversal 09/22
L2-L3 fusion and corpectomy 09/22

Treatments: EBRT 04/18; SBRT 02/19; Failed adjuvant Xelox ; Folfiri/Avastin 03/19 - 01/20
adjuvant chemorad (Xeloda) 06/22; SBRT 11/22; Xeloda/Avastin since 01/24

hawkowl

Postby hawkowl » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:29 am

Delta has always treated me very well.
Dx 12/2014 T3N2MX (distant LPLN) low rectal
12/2014-4/2015: FOLFOX (8 cycles)
4/2015-6/2015: 28 cycles of chemoradiation with xeloda, SBRT
8/2015: Robotic APR with iliac node dissection; path showed ypT0,ypN0 (complete pathological response).
11/2015 scans clear, CEA 2.1
11/2015 parastomal hernia repair
3/2016 CEA 1.7, scans stable...
6/2020 5 years of normal CEA and stable scans
Now dealing with pyoderma gangrenosum.
Totally disabled due to oxaliplatin induced neuropathy and dysautonomia

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”