Claudine wrote:I'd be surprised if any surgery could be done while on Avastin, considering that my husband isn't even allowed to get his teeth cleaned
ginabeewell wrote:You might want to post a new thread about the pump plus Avastin. I hadn’t heard that was a no-no, but it could be that I just wasn’t tuned in because I wasn’t on Avastin!!
I started FOLFOX + Vectibix in October, had a seven week chemo break Dec / Jan due to infection and my consult at MSK early Feb. They opted to continue my current treatment and scheduled me for colon resection / pump placement late March.
The pump is only filled with chemo once a month; alternating times it just gets filled with saline. And the pump needs to continue to get the saline flushed once treatment is done, for several years. Luckily Northwestern was willing to learn how to do that, and I think others have had luck with local facilities too.
Still might be kind of fun to relocate to NY for six months if you could at your age! But that six months can stretch out once you consider time for surgery and then 4-6 months mop up chemo. So just something to consider.
rachelfromnyc wrote:I texted my friend who is a nurse at MSK, works under a medical oncologist in their GI service. She said that Avastin has to be stopped when getting a pump placed because of risk of bleeding. It can be restarted after a sufficient time for healing. Hope this helps.
rachelfromnyc wrote:PS- I am on Avastin and I get daily nosebleeds... boohoo
AmyG wrote:rachelfromnyc wrote:PS- I am on Avastin and I get daily nosebleeds... boohoo
I hated that part. So glad to be off of it!
Hope Jesper gets a plan of action soon! Yall hang in there.
rachelfromnyc wrote:Hey Alexandra, any luck with MSK? I was at 53rd St. today for treatment and the waiting room was the most crowded I've ever seen it. I asked around and a nurse told me Dr. K is in clinic on Mondays (I usually go on a different day) and from being around here, I know she is quite popular! Sending you good thoughts.
ginabeewell wrote:Dr Kemeny is actually in Europe until Wednesday; so if they need her seal of approval, you may end up waiting a few more days for it. And I guess if they say no, you can always appeal to her once she’s back!
radnyc wrote:Please remember that although dr. Kemeny is the go to expert on the HAI protocol, the decision is not automatically hers alone. The whole team over there works on the selection and treatment of all the patients. As a matter of fact when I originally went there I had no idea what HAI was or who Kemeny was. I was there to see a different oncologist. Treatment started and eventually I ended up with the pump. It was explained to me that it would be an effective treatment for me, I agreed and asked few if any questions. Only one time was her name brought up, when my onc wanted to run some of my liver tests by her, she decided to withhold treatment for that one round. I’ve never met her. My point is that one shouldn’t hang all hope on having her as your oncologist and no one else. I’m certain that all their oncologists are ready and able and probably have a much better bedside manner.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests