surgery for stage IV

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
iloveucourt

surgery for stage IV

Postby iloveucourt » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:24 pm

has anyone heard of a surgery called sugarbaker or nicknamed moas .... the mother of all surgeries? my cousin, a stage IV cancer patient of 17 is trying to have this done.

could anyone give me more information about it or any thoughts on the process? seems like the only place to get it done is in omaha nebraska...

cherryames

Sugarbaker Surgery

Postby cherryames » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:53 am

I found this info for you about the Sugarbaker surgery:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudomyxoma_peritonei

I hope it helps.

Eileen

Hope this helps.......

Postby Eileen » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:53 pm

Website for Sugarbaker Oncology Associates at the Washington Cancer Institute. Washington, DC.

http://www.surgicaloncology.com/

Paul.Sugarbaker@medstar.net (known current as of 2003)

Sounds like the Sugarbaker procedure can be used for several different conditions including when colon cancer cells may be in the lining of the abdominal cavity. I am not sure but it sounds like the abdominal cavity is flooded with heated chemotherapy drugs during the operation. The cancer is first removed and lining of the abdominal cavity may be removed as well as other areas within the abdomen.

I am a nurse and I use to work with a nurse who had this procedure for ovarian cancer and she is doing great "many" years later.
Let us know how your friend makes out.
Love and Prayers,
Eileen
Stage IIIB

mrsfaber

MOAS

Postby mrsfaber » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:51 pm

I'm stage 4 and it's met. to my liver and lung. had surgery 12 weeks ago in San Jose, CA. My surgeons said the surgery will be approved for trial in CA in Oct. and that I may be a good candidate for it. They said "It's a huge surgery....well, sort of like the one you already had." so I am glad it seems there may be a 'plan b' if needed. Take care!
I'm a 47 year old Mom, diagnosed 2 mos. ago w/ stage 4 colon cancer that's metastasized to my liver & lung...had a huge surgery, now in chemo...got a great report 8/28..feel like we bought more time praise God :-) and I am happy to be alive!!!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”