New Member - Advive on metastised colon cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
matty_73

New Member - Advive on metastised colon cancer

Postby matty_73 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:49 am

Hello all!

My name is Matt and I am new to the forum.

I post this message on behalf of my dad. Dad is 75 and has an advanced obstructing colon adenocarcinma at the liver angle with liver metastasis. Dad is a type 2 diabetic. The condition (or at least primary cancer) was first detected in October 2012. Since then Dad has been through numerous cycles of chemo on the following products: 5FU / LV (De Gramont) and FOLFOX-Avastin. 5FU / LV was first administered in December 2012 and FOLFOX-Avastin in February 2013. Whilst Dad responded favorably to chemo initially (so much so that he had an 8 month break in 2015, there have been some ‘hiccups’ along the way such as him catching Varicella Zoster Virus Meningitis in March 2015). Dad’s condition has however deteriorated in 2019. He had an infection in 2019 and all chemo was stopped in April 2019 due to deterioration of the general condition and his weakness.

Since then there have been volume increase in liver metastases with increased obstructive bile duct dilatation. The hospital he is being treated at UZ Leuven (In Belgium) have since September 2019 suggested he be placed on best supportive care either at the hospital (where he currently is) or at another structure or home. Dad has no pain but is currently very weak. Reasoning is still good but mobility is very reduced. Currently no cures are being administered for his condition save general medication and insulin. The hospital did talk about surgery but have since stated he is too weak and not in a condition to have general anesthesia.

Based on the above diagnosis and history I had some questions to forum members:

1) Should I be seeking other opinions from other hospitals on whether they can offer any other traditional / non-traditional cures? Can anyone suggest any structures in Europe for the above conditions? Would you opt for potential clinical trials / off-label type institutions (I have heard there are some good ones in Germany)?
2) Can anyone recommend any cancer treatment options proven and experimental, based on the above prognosis? What is the typical length of these, potential side-effects, complications…etc?
3) Should my father envisage any changes to diet or lifestyle based on the above diagnosis?

I want to sincerely thank anyone who has views, info and can help with the above.

Many thanks,

Matt

boxhill

Re: New Member - Advive on metastised colon cancer

Postby boxhill » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:26 pm

Do I gather from your post that your dad has a tumor at the hepatic flexure, diagnosed in 2012, that now is causing a blockage? (That's exactly what I had, actually. And I also am a T2 diabetic. With a lever met.)

Am I correct in understanding that the primary cancer was detected in 2012, but not removed then? Why not, as a matter of curiosity?

Do you know whether his tumor is MSI-H? Right-side tumors are somewhat more likely to be so, and if so he could go onto Keytruda or the Opdivo/Yervoy combination. Keytruda is easier on the system, so possibly a better choice for him.
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable