Nuetropenia and DPD Enzyme

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Patrusha

Nuetropenia and DPD Enzyme

Postby Patrusha » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:55 pm

I went for my second infusion of Folfox6 today and it was a no-go. Seems my Neutrophil count was too low and I have moderate nuetropenia, which means I can catch a bacterial or fungal infection easier than the average person.

Doc also mentioned I might be deficient in the DPD Enzyme, which helps process the chemo in the liver. This can be deadly if you don't have the enzyme at all, but in my case, they think I'm just deficient. I hate the sound of that. LOL!

Has anybody else dealt with this? The plan, as of now, is to try again next Friday and do a reduced dosage of the chemo if my blood counts cooperate. If not, I don't know what is next.

Why can't things just be easy and go as planned? :roll:
KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!
6.29.06 Colonoscopy found the mass!
7.06.06 Colon resection a success. Stage II, T3, N0, MX. Doing the Folfox6 thing as part of a study.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:49 pm

Patrusha,

It is unfortunate that your total and absolute white blood cell counts were too low for you to get your scheduled chemotherapy. However, the truth is that both cancer and chemotherapy are often times unpredictable.

About the DPD deficiency. It, too, was suspected that I might be DPD deficient and I recieved the blood test. I pasted this information last week under liver resection but will paste here as well for you to peruse.

Keep kickin' a little cancer a@#!

Holly

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rodney,

You are correct. DPD deficiency is rare. If you are DPD deficient, you would lack an enzyme which would not allow you to metabolize 5-FU. There is a blood and breathe test available. I had the blood test done through the University of Alabama at Birmingham. I have included the information below for you to peruse. With the complications that you experienced with 5-FU, you may wish to reintroduce the topic with your physician.

Holly

Background
Although introduced as a chemotherapy agent almost 45 years ago, 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) remains one of the most successful and widely used cancer chemotherapy drugs. 5-FU can be used as a single agent but is typically administered in combination with other drugs for the treatment of a number of different malignancies including, carcinomas of the breast, colon, and skin (three of the most frequently occurring cancers). In general, 5-FU is relatively well tolerated at standard doses with typical toxic effects occurring in the gastrointestinal mucosa and bone marrow. Neurologic toxicity presenting as cerebellar ataxia and somnolence occurs much less frequently (<5%). Like many other antineoplastic drugs, 5-FU has a relatively narrow therapeutic window, such that toxicity is likely to increase as the dose is increased. The success of 5-FU has led to several new generation 5-FU-based drugs including Xeloda (Roche) and Tegafur (Taiho).

Metabolism
The anticancer effects and toxicity of 5-FU are directly related to anabolism of the drug to its nucleotides, which can then exert effects through inhibition of thymidylate synthase activity or incorporation into RNA and/or DNA. In humans, more than 85% of an administered dose of 5-FU is degraded through the catabolic pathway. Dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase (DPD) is the initial and rate-limiting step in pyrimidine catabolism. Over the last decade, it has become clear that DPD regulates the amount of 5-FU available for anabolism thereby affecting its pharmacokinetics, toxicity, and efficacy.
Unanticipated Toxicity to 5-FU
Several reports have described an inherited (pharmacogenetic) disorder in which individuals with absent or significantly decreased DPD activity develop life-threatening toxicity following exposure to 5-FU. Since the catabolic pathway does not function in DPD deficient patients, administration of standard doses of 5-FU results in altered 5-FU pharmacokinetics and severe toxicity including mucositis, granulocytopenia, neuropathy and death. The cause for this toxicity appears to be decreased drug clearance, resulting in markedly prolonged exposure to 5-FU. It has been estimated that approximately 3-5% of the population has DPD activity less than 95% of the lower limit (<0.064 nmol/min/mg for frozen samples) for the normal population. Recent studies by our laboratory have demonstrated a large over-representation of both profoundly (12 %) and partially (31%) DPD deficient patients who developed unanticipated toxicity following treatment with 5-FU.

But there is more......

http://www.dpdenzyme.com/

Patrusha

Thanks for the info!

Postby Patrusha » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:28 pm

Thanks, Holly. When you were tested did it confirm that you were DPD deficient? My oncologists told me there is no commercially available test available and that I'd have to fly to Alabama and pay for the test. Is that true?

It makes me hesitant to proceed with more 5-FU if they aren't even sure if I'm deficient.

How much does a test cost? Did you have to pay for yours?

Is going with a decreased dosage of 5-FU even effective?

I just have so many questions about this!
KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!

6.29.06 Colonoscopy found the mass!

7.06.06 Colon resection a success. Stage II, T3, N0, MX. Doing the Folfox6 thing as part of a study.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:18 am

Patrusha,

I am not DPD deficient.

A test kit is available. You will NOT be required to travel to Birmingham, AL to complete the test. Your physician can order the test kit that can be collected at your physician's office laboratory. I would encourage you to peruse the website provided for more information. It is the responsibility of your provider to determine whether you recieve 5-FU. However, it would be reasonable to discuss and explore the subject matter with your provider. The cost of the tests are listed on the website I have provided for you. I would encourage you to print off all relative material and bring it to your physician. You asked if my insurance paid for the test? With persistance, my insurance paid for the test. PRETEST: Call you insurance company and ask for a written preauthorization so that you will not have difficulty when the claim is submitted. Do not simply accept a verbal authorization it MUST BE WRITTEN.

About decreasing the 5-FU, this is a decision you and your provider will need to decide upon.

I hope that this helps.

Holly

www.dpdenzyme.com.

I can't find the pricing...

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:46 am

Thanks, Holly. I've been over the entire website thoroughly and they don't mention any prices that I can find. Under the pricing portion of the website they just give codes and explain that they bill the institution and not the individual. And they request you to send a check, but they don't tell you how much to send! Very frustrating.

I've put an email in to them to inquire and I'll print everything out to take to my doctor next week.

Thanks for the help.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:06 am

Patrusha,

From www.dpdenzyme.com , I have pasted the pricing information for the assay for you as a shortcut. *****Pretest: I would encourage you to get a written preauthorization from your insurance company before ordering the test kit!*****To obtain a written preauthorization from your insurance company, you will need the CPT billing codes that are referenced on the billing page of the website.

I hope this helps!

Holly

Phenotype: DPD Enzyme Assay
Download the complete protocol for DPD Enzyme Assay

Our laboratory currently offers an HPLC-based assay to identify DPD deficient patients. Enzyme activity is measured directly from cytosol prepared from the patient's peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBM) and reported in nmol/min/mg (Johnson, J. Chromatogr. B Biomed. Appl. 696: 183-191). This technique requires the separation of PBM cells from the patient's whole blood prior to shipment. The samples must be snap frozen and express mailed to our laboratory packed in dry ice. A Ficoll Kit (enough to separate PBM cells from 2 separate blood samples) can be ordered by calling (205) 975-0785. For pricing, see below:

Ficoll Kit (Optional per request): $150
Semi-Automated HPLC Radioassay (required for phenotype test): $295
Note: For DPD RadioAssay, a Semi-Automated HPLC Radioassay is required. Ficoll Kits are optional.

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:11 pm

Patrusha,

When I started Chemo with Folfox, I was neutapenic as well. It was very fustrating, as I just wanted to get on with things. My counts were as low as 0.4 and it usually took two weeks to get to a minimum level for another round.

I had a dose reduction of 20% after the 2nd infusion. Docs told me that it is normal to have dose reduction and that it does not affect the effacacy. Everyone's body reacts different to the chemo, but studies have proved that when the docs suggest a reduction the outcome will be as successful for the individual.

After the dose reduction, I was still neutropenic. Docs were going to do a second reduction but I requested to be put on Neupegin instead. To date this has worked. Here is the web site. http://www.neupogen.com/pi.html
It is a very expensive drug, so if this is the chosen route, check with your insurance company first.

It is very important to be as informed as possible and discuss all your options with the doctors.

Good luck
Sharon

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:12 am

Thanks, Northern Lights. I talked more with my oncologist and he said that if I wasn't in the study I am in that he would have reduced my dosage 20% and proceeded last Friday. The study, however, required them to put it off a week to see if my counts some back up.

He also said he wouldn't considered nuepogen for me unless my counts went even lower (900 right now or 0.9). He assured me, like you, that the reduced dosage and delaying this week would not efffect the efficacy of the regimen.

So, I guess I'm OK with that. We'll see what my counts are on Friday.... thanks for your input. Glad to know others have dealt with this and done well.

Pollyanna

DPD Deficiency

Postby Pollyanna » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:03 pm

Hi, Patrushka:

My oncologist believes that I also am DPD deficient. Had only one treatment so far - my next is this Thursday - was on 5FU and Leucovorin.

Had the laundry list of side effects - mouth sores, allergic-type reaction with hyperactive mucuous production, vomiting, crazy sore throat. The last straw was a fever & rash, which landed me in isolation for 3 days while they tried to isolate the bacteria. Turned out I had a staph infection in my blood. I didn't think at the time it was a huge deal, but talking to my oncologist, apparently it was more serious that I gave it credit for.

Upshot is that, after discussion, we're switching to Tomudex/Raltitrexed.
It metabolizes in a completely different way, so hopefully no side effects with this. Also, rather than Monday-Friday infusions, I only have one, so
no port to deal with.

I'll let you know how this one works - might be an option for you to consider.

Take good care, and keep your chin up. We'll all get through.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”