Help. Squirt bottle recommendations?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Jannine

Help. Squirt bottle recommendations?

Postby Jannine » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:50 pm

So I've now had c. diff. three times. Every single time, it has happened when I was at a conference and/or out of state. I'm starting to think I need to track the number of states where I've had to visit Urgent Care and talk about my butt. :evil:

I love my bidet at home, it helped my skin not get irritated when I was dealing with colon cancer and its aftermath. Toilet paper "away from home" is just the pits. I'm travelling again in a couple of weeks and I'm worried my c diff will come back while I'm away (I may get to check Washington State off my list :roll: ). I have a plan with my GI doctor if it comes back (either one last-ditch attempt with a new antibiotic, or else a fecal transplant), but obviously I'll have to get home first before we can try the latter.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a small travel squirt bottle for cleaning up after a bowel movement? I know some folks use them, but I have no idea what features to look for.

Thanks for any advice. This community is a lifesaver!
DX: sigmoid colon cancer 5/2018. 48 F
laparoscopic sigmoid resection (24 cm removed); no stoma.
7.5cm adenocarcinoma -- mod. diff.
1 noncontiguous tumor deposit removed; 0/31 lymph nodes
T3 pN1c M0
5/18 before surgery, CEA 11.2
6/18 began FOLFOX
7/18: CEA 1.9; added neulasta post infusion
9/18: CEA 2.8
10/18: 25% chemo reduction
11/18: CEA 1.8
7/19 CT scan clear

J-man

Re: Help. Squirt bottle recommendations?

Postby J-man » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:09 pm

If you do use a bidet at home, then maybe consider looking at a BioBidet travel unit ?
https://biobidet.com/products/tp-70-new-travel-bidet

I believe others here have talked about this in the past.
I have a bidet at home so have not looked into their at home bidet toilet seats, yet !

I agree with "travel TP" feeling like sandpaper sometimes, so I also carried my own TP and some
flushable baby wipes. I also used topical ointments when needed.
The best one was proctosone which contains a local anesthetic, antifungal, antibiotic and protectant.
You should check with your own doctor to see if this type of thing would be OK,
if you end up needing other medications and such.

Best wishes for your upcoming trip.
WA state is a beautiful place, so I hope it "treats" you well.

TinaFish

Postby TinaFish » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:06 pm

I use one that has a bend near the tip. That way, you can hold it from the front and it will squirt water directly at your butthole. I thought about getting one of those bidets that you can install onto your existing toilet, and I just didn't want to bother with installation. The squirt bottle is like 7 bucks on Amazon, and the only difference is that it uses hand power. That's fine with me; it works beautifully!
F 45, single mother to son, 7 and daughter, 3
DX: stage 4 Rectal Cancer June 2019
Tumor Location: ? cm above anal verge
Tumor type: Adenocarcinoma
Tumor size: 5 cm
Tumor grade: ?
TNM code: ?
Stage : Stage IV-B
# of cancerous lymph nodes: ?
Mets: Numerous mets to liver, lungs
CEA: 22 in July; 11 as of August 15, 7 as of Sept 20
MSI status: MSS
KRAS/BRAF status: KRAS mutation
surgery: TBD
Ostomy surgery: TBD
Radiation therapy: TBD
Chemotherapy : CAPEOX+Avastin, 6 cycles, with CT scans after 3rd and 6th cycle.

Rock_Robster

Postby Rock_Robster » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:17 pm

TinaFish wrote:I use one that has a bend near the tip. That way, you can hold it from the front and it will squirt water directly at your butthole. I thought about getting one of those bidets that you can install onto your existing toilet, and I just didn't want to bother with installation. The squirt bottle is like 7 bucks on Amazon, and the only difference is that it uses hand power. That's fine with me; it works beautifully!

Gotta say I love my bidet attachment for the toilet... bought on Amazon and installation took all of 5-10 mins. Lifesaver during daily butt radiation for 5 weeks....
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
8/19 FOLFOX, FOLFOXIRI, FOLFIRI
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
11/21 Liver met, PALN, lung nodules
3/22 PVE, lymphadenectomy, liver SBRT
10/22 PALN SBRT
11/22 Liver mets, peri nodule. Xeloda+Bev
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial
12/23 Modified FOLFIRI+Bev
3/24 VAXINIA (CF33 + hNIS) trial

TinaFish

Postby TinaFish » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:11 pm

Rock_Robster wrote:
TinaFish wrote:I use one that has a bend near the tip. That way, you can hold it from the front and it will squirt water directly at your butthole. I thought about getting one of those bidets that you can install onto your existing toilet, and I just didn't want to bother with installation. The squirt bottle is like 7 bucks on Amazon, and the only difference is that it uses hand power. That's fine with me; it works beautifully!

Gotta say I love my bidet attachment for the toilet... bought on Amazon and installation took all of 5-10 mins. Lifesaver during daily butt radiation for 5 weeks....

Really? You're talking about the ones that are around $250, right? Some customers were complaining about the instructions being badly-written. I was about to buy one because I thought I was going to start radiation, but then I figured I owed it to myself to spend $7 before spending $250

Rock_Robster

Postby Rock_Robster » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:20 pm

TinaFish wrote:
Rock_Robster wrote:

Really? You're talking about the ones that are around $250, right? Some customers were complaining about the instructions being badly-written. I was about to buy one because I thought I was going to start radiation, but then I figured I owed it to myself to spend $7 before spending $250

Nope, like $35-50; with 4.5-star reviews. Here’s one: https://www.amazon.com/Bidet-Attachment ... way&sr=8-3

Sorry Jannine, back to you :)
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
10/22 PALN SBRT
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial

TinaFish

Postby TinaFish » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:35 pm

Ok, I just read about c.diff, and I'm not sure that I don't have it. It sure would explain a lot about how I've been feeling. I could have caught it in the hospital. My poop has been smelling weird, but I attributed it to the chemo. For God's sake, before my diagnosis, my whole life, my sense of smell was terrible. I couldn't smell anything unless it was really strong. These days, I smell the slightest nuance in the breeze. So it made perfect sense to me that my poop was smelling weird too. And the color is weird too - my poop is the color of "cedar" or "coffee," instead of "caramel" or "gingerbread." Is this normal?

https://www.shutterstock.com/th/image-v ... -351850901

TinaFish

Postby TinaFish » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:40 pm

Rock_Robster wrote:Here’s one: https://www.amazon.com/Bidet-Attachment ... way&sr=8-3

Sorry Jannine, back to you :)

Very cool! Could Jannine travel with it? Like install it at a hotel?

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:58 pm

TinaFish wrote:Very cool! Could Jannine travel with it? Like install it at a hotel?

If she is a plumber ... :shock:

some of these types of "seats" require both plumbing and electrical connections
SO... not sure about Hilton wanting us CClubbers to rewire and replumb their suites :shock: :D :mrgreen:

Seriously though :
yes there are some adaptable items which are portable
AFAIK ... the actual "seats" with hookups may NOT be
JMO

AND even if you hook up a seat ....WHAT happens when you are outta da' suite ? :shock: :twisted:
So the wash bottle IS an everywhere option, no matter what !

Cheers for gettin' it workin'
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Rock_Robster

Postby Rock_Robster » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:36 am

Haha yep, nope - what CRguy said. It’s an easy install at home, but I don’t think hotel toilets would give you the access that you need (nor would they appreciate it).

One downside of the ones you install is that they are cold water only (unless you do a complex hookup), which whilst being more effective than a double espresso at waking you up in the morning, aren’t quite as pleasant as lukewarm water in a bottle.
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
10/22 PALN SBRT
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial

Jannine

Postby Jannine » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:02 am

Yeah, actually our bidet at home is one of the BioBidet ones, added onto our regular toilet. It plugs into the wall (so need an outlet handy) so it warms up the water. My husband installed it so I can't say anything about that process. It did seem fairly quick though.

I tend to travel really light; I don't check bags unless I'm carrying something they won't let me carry on, and that's rare. Thanks for all the recommendations! I think just a squeeze bottle with an angle to it will be perfect for me.

Also, c diff isn't something you would be wondering about for long. I had uncontrollable diarrhea in short order and was quickly getting dehydrated. They gave me fluids when I ended up in the ER the first time. They said they get a lot of people who think they have c diff but that I gave them the fastest stool sample they've ever seen. :shock:

It can kill you if you don't get treated. Now that I know the drill, I catch it before it gets so bad that I need fluids, so I can go to Urgent Care rather than the ER. If you're having massive uncontrollable diarrhea, get to the ER pronto. In my case my bowel movements got softer and softer for about a week, then a couple-few days of diarrhea, and then the bottom fell out, so to speak. I got my husband to go get adult diapers for me for the trip to the ER so I wouldn't risk messing up my pants or my chair in the ER, because there was no way I could hold anything.
DX: sigmoid colon cancer 5/2018. 48 F
laparoscopic sigmoid resection (24 cm removed); no stoma.
7.5cm adenocarcinoma -- mod. diff.
1 noncontiguous tumor deposit removed; 0/31 lymph nodes
T3 pN1c M0
5/18 before surgery, CEA 11.2
6/18 began FOLFOX
7/18: CEA 1.9; added neulasta post infusion
9/18: CEA 2.8
10/18: 25% chemo reduction
11/18: CEA 1.8
7/19 CT scan clear

TinaFish

Postby TinaFish » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:07 pm

Jannine wrote:Yeah, actually our bidet at home is one of the BioBidet ones, added onto our regular toilet. It plugs into the wall (so need an outlet handy) so it warms up the water. My husband installed it so I can't say anything about that process. It did seem fairly quick though.

I tend to travel really light; I don't check bags unless I'm carrying something they won't let me carry on, and that's rare. Thanks for all the recommendations! I think just a squeeze bottle with an angle to it will be perfect for me.

Also, c diff isn't something you would be wondering about for long. I had uncontrollable diarrhea in short order and was quickly getting dehydrated. They gave me fluids when I ended up in the ER the first time. They said they get a lot of people who think they have c diff but that I gave them the fastest stool sample they've ever seen. :shock:

It can kill you if you don't get treated. Now that I know the drill, I catch it before it gets so bad that I need fluids, so I can go to Urgent Care rather than the ER. If you're having massive uncontrollable diarrhea, get to the ER pronto. In my case my bowel movements got softer and softer for about a week, then a couple-few days of diarrhea, and then the bottom fell out, so to speak. I got my husband to go get adult diapers for me for the trip to the ER so I wouldn't risk messing up my pants or my chair in the ER, because there was no way I could hold anything.

Thank you for the candor. My diarrhea isn't as bad as that, but omg, I'm at my wits' end as far as how to control it without constipating myself. I might prefer the constipation if it didn't accompany painful stomach cramps.

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:55 pm

I use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B9 ... UTF8&psc=1

Three squirt bottles for $5 but they aren't angled. I have two bags. A small Coloplast sample bag and I keep four bottles in it along with wipes, pads, and plastic bags. It's great to grab and go.

My other bag is like a medical kit. I carry six bottles, a brick of Kirkland wipes, a dozen pads, a roll of toilet paper, two diapers, ten plastic bags, a neoprene glove and a bunch of Hypafix tape pieces. There's a slot in the bag to hold an iPad Mini or a paperback if I'm going to be in the toilet for a while. I have not had a situation which the medical kit didn't handle but, as you can imagine, it does weigh a bit with six water bottles and a brick of wipes. It is still pretty compact and there's an over the chest/shoulder carrying strap.

6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

MistyBlu

Postby MistyBlu » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:39 am

Did anyone mention that perri bottle they give you after birth. It's a post partum washing bottle. It has an upside down nipple.
F, 49 at DX, Stage IIA
9/4/19 Right Hemicolectomy
PT3NOMO- Grade 2
Xeloda - 1,650mg (Oct19-May20)
CEA 10/22/2019 - 1.2ng/ml

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:51 am

MistyBlu wrote:Did anyone mention that perri bottle they give you after birth. It's a post partum washing bottle. It has an upside down nipple.

Those are the bottles that I used. My wife fished one of her old ones out and it looked like the ones that I use in my kits.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”