Worried about chemo port

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Rock_Robster

Re: Worried about chemo port

Postby Rock_Robster » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:42 pm

TinaFish wrote:
jep wrote:
boxhill wrote:The reason that I personally would call ahead of time is that your onc is unlikely to be able to pull a chest xray out of a hat on infusion day, thus resulting in delays if there is a problem.

Good point!

Totally.

Spoke with oncologist today. She asked if there was any swelling, bleeding under the skin, or pain. I told her no; even the tenderness is gone by today. She said that it was very unlikely that it had gotten dislodged, but she also said that since she wasn't the person who implanted it into me, she wasn't sure how we should handle this situation and she wanted to talk to the people in that department of the hospital. That makes sense, right? I just made it clear to her that I wanted to let her know well ahead of time, since chemo is scheduled for Wednesday.

Makes total sense to me. When mine went wrong it was the surgeon that sorted it out, not my onc (his only instruction was “fix it”, lol).
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
8/19 FOLFOX, FOLFOXIRI, FOLFIRI
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
11/21 Liver met, PALN, lung nodules
3/22 PVE, lymphadenectomy, liver SBRT
10/22 PALN SBRT
11/22 Liver mets, peri nodule. Xeloda+Bev
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial
12/23 Modified FOLFIRI+Bev
3/24 VAXINIA (CF33 + hNIS) trial

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:17 pm

Makes sense to me.

Hope it turns out to be a non-issue.
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable
6/28/19 Pause Key, predisone for joint pain
7/31/19 Restart Key
9/19 CT stable
Pain: all fails but Celebrex
12/23/19 CT stable
5/20 MRI stable/NED
6/20 Stop Key
All MRIs NED

TinaFish

Postby TinaFish » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:11 pm

I went in for my scheduled chemo today. I told the nurse what had happened with the port. She flushed it, decided it was fine, and administered my chemo.

I'm feeling okay. I'm bloated but not crampy. No diarrhea, no tenesmus. No peripheral neuropathy or other acute side effects from oxaliplatin. Well, not anything really worth mentioning. Slight jaw pain when I first start to eat, weird change in my voice, very slight pain in my throat when I swallow liquids... I can't complain. I'm fine with all of this.

And best of all, my port seems fine. I still hate the f****** thing, though!
F 45, single mother to son, 7 and daughter, 3
DX: stage 4 Rectal Cancer June 2019
Tumor Location: ? cm above anal verge
Tumor type: Adenocarcinoma
Tumor size: 5 cm
Tumor grade: ?
TNM code: ?
Stage : Stage IV-B
# of cancerous lymph nodes: ?
Mets: Numerous mets to liver, lungs
CEA: 22 in July; 11 as of August 15, 7 as of Sept 20
MSI status: MSS
KRAS/BRAF status: KRAS mutation
surgery: TBD
Ostomy surgery: TBD
Radiation therapy: TBD
Chemotherapy : CAPEOX+Avastin, 6 cycles, with CT scans after 3rd and 6th cycle.

TinaFish

Postby TinaFish » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:16 pm

Guys, is this normal one day after chemo? I had mild diarrhea and mild stomach upset this morning. Took two Imodium (and nothing else) and the diarrhea has been gone all day! I am so accustomed to going to the toilet like 20-30 times a day for the smallest bit of poop, that I'm actually feeling alarmed and worried about constipation that I've gone since 10:00 AM without pooping! I have to keep reminding myself that before I ever had chemo, I used to poop once a day, in the morning, and that was it!

I'm not accustomed to feeling this ok the day after chemo. I'm accustomed to horrific diarrhea and tenesmus. The last time I had chemo, you may remember that I tried to proactively prevent that s*** and I inadvertently stopped myself up with constipation, gas, and cramps!

I'm feeling a little gaseous tonight, but nothing intolerable is happening. Is this how most people feel the day after oxaliplatin? People who haven't been taking Metformin, atorvastatin, and mebendazole along with their chemo? Like the chemo is actually tolerable?

More on the subject of the chemo port: it's feeling sore. And I don't think that has anything to do with the fact that it was accessed yesterday, because it's been feeling sore for a few days. Maybe it's just a psychosomatic thing because I was worried about the little accident that I had with it. I just can't forget it's there. It's always tender and I worry when someone gives me a hug. And looking at diagrams on the internet, WTF? Its tube goes into a vein in my neck, and then the tube continues into my heart?? How is that safe? These nasty chemo meds are going directly into my heart, and that's ok? How could that possibly be ok?? Would it be totally stupid to ask them to access my arm veins instead of my port? Maybe so I can see what the difference is, and possibly have the port taken out? It's really making me feel uncomfortable. And every time I look in the mirror and change my clothes, I'm reminded that I have cancer. I don't want that reminder... although the scar will always be there, even if the port is removed. Ugh. Even if I get a trashy chest tattoo over it in the future, the tattoo will be a reminder. I think all I can do is go to a really great plastic surgeon for a scar revision. It's not about vanity; it's about peace of mind.

Pyro

Postby Pyro » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:11 am

Worry about the immediate battle, the port is making that easier. Sometimes the treatment for this awful disease is worse than the disease itself.
Aug 2015- Stage 4 CC with liver Mets(38/m)
Sep 2015- Avastin/Folfox/Iron
Dec 2015-Not liver surgery candidate
Jan 2016- Erbitux/Folfiri, 2nd opinion at MDA in TX
Feb 2016 -MDA liver surgery
Mar 2016 -30% of left lobe rem, PVE
May 2016 - 70% of liver rem
Jun 2016-Rad
Jan 2017-perm colost @MDA
Jul 2017-Erb/FOLFURI
Nov 2017 -Lung & Liver ablations@MDA
Jan 2018 -Xeloda & Avastin mx
Jul 2018-Avast/FOLFURI
Sep 2018-Rad
Mar 2019 - Keytruda fail
Jun 2019 - FOLFURI
Aug 2019 - No more, quality time!

TinaFish

Postby TinaFish » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:59 am

Pyro wrote:Worry about the immediate battle, the port is making that easier. Sometimes the treatment for this awful disease is worse than the disease itself.

Absolutely. You're right, I just don't know if the port is making it easier, because I have nothing to compare it to. But yes, it totally seems that the treatment is worse than the disease.

juliej

Postby juliej » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:50 pm

TinaFish wrote:More on the subject of the chemo port: it's feeling sore. And I don't think that has anything to do with the fact that it was accessed yesterday, because it's been feeling sore for a few days. Maybe it's just a psychosomatic thing because I was worried about the little accident that I had with it. I just can't forget it's there. It's always tender and I worry when someone gives me a hug. And looking at diagrams on the internet, WTF? Its tube goes into a vein in my neck, and then the tube continues into my heart?? How is that safe? These nasty chemo meds are going directly into my heart, and that's ok? How could that possibly be ok?? Would it be totally stupid to ask them to access my arm veins instead of my port? Maybe so I can see what the difference is, and possibly have the port taken out? It's really making me feel uncomfortable. And every time I look in the mirror and change my clothes, I'm reminded that I have cancer. I don't want that reminder... although the scar will always be there, even if the port is removed. Ugh. Even if I get a trashy chest tattoo over it in the future, the tattoo will be a reminder. I think all I can do is go to a really great plastic surgeon for a scar revision. It's not about vanity; it's about peace of mind.

People have such different feelings about their ports!

Some patients love them and feel like they are the cat's pajamas! There's no need to get a peripheral cannula, it can be used for contrast during CT and MRI scans, it requires only a single access for everything (unlike IV access, which generally requires two venipunctures; one for lab draws and then the IV access for treatment), and it saves your veins. It's that last part you need to focus on.

Some chemo, especially the nastier varieties like Oxaliplatin, can do a number on your veins. They can cause serious, sometimes permanent, damage if they come in contact with your tissue. This is called "extravasation," and it can occur much more easily with IV access, but is very rare with a port. Also, the port access site is prepared with a sterile technique; IV access is a clean technique, which makes ports ultimately safer.

When I was first diagnosed, I was pretty anti-port. It just seemed like an unnecessary sign/reminder of an already bad situation. The nurse examined my small veins and delicate skin and said I really should get one based on what she'd seen happen to other patients who had oxaliplatin through IV access. She described the hard and/or sclerosed veins she saw and how hard to was to find new places to access after the damage was done.

Oh, and about the heart thing. Ports do not end with the tip of the catheter inside the heart. The tip of the catheter is located either in the superior vena cava or at the atriocaval junction, which is where the vein meets the heart, not actually in the heart itself.

Yeah, I agree it's kind of funky looking. I have very fair skin and I have a PowerPort (which is purple), so there is a purple lump that shows when I wear certain tank tops, etc. And I've had my fair share of weird conversations with TSA agents when they patted me down. (Someone needs to educate TSA agents about cancer patients' various medical devices - ports, catheters, implanted pumps, etc. :roll:) I'm actually due to have my port removed soon, so I'll have a small scar there instead. But the good part is my veins still look and act the same, even after all the chemo I've had.

I realize you're entitled to your opinion, but try to think of this tiny piece of technology as an aid to getting you through this. If, in the distant future, I ever have grandchildren who notice my port scar (or my abdominal or lung surgery scars), I plan to tell them I got it during a knife fight in a bar in Outer Mongolia! :D :D :D Life is what you make it.

Juliej
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:50 pm

juliej wrote:I plan to tell them I got it during a knife fight in a bar in Outer Mongolia! :D :D :D Life is what you make it.
Juliej

At Last a great "Indiana Jones" quote for the forum

WELL done JJ
Well DONE !

Cheers All
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:16 pm

Would it be totally stupid to ask them to access my arm veins instead of my port?

Yes! :lol: But by all means continue to vent here rather than acting on these impulses. And I say that fondly! :)

Seriously, JulieJ gave you all the information. For doG's sake, don't go messing around with the veins in your arm! My port occasionally feels a little achy, and I've had it since April 2018. It's not surprising that yours is bothering you after the wrenching it took. I'm sure it will settle down again.

I am glad to hear that your bowels are no longer in an uproar. It's normal to have some upset, and some have more than others, but what you were going through was over the top.
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable
6/28/19 Pause Key, predisone for joint pain
7/31/19 Restart Key
9/19 CT stable
Pain: all fails but Celebrex
12/23/19 CT stable
5/20 MRI stable/NED
6/20 Stop Key
All MRIs NED

ginabeewell

Postby ginabeewell » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:07 pm

It’s worth reading some of the old threads from folks who have tried chemo without the port and found how terrible it was and how much better WITH the port. You would be hard pressed to find someone who thought accessing veins was better.

A year in, I’m used to my port and barely ever think about it, maybe to adjust my seatbelt. On the side effects hierarchy, it’s WAY at the bottom.

And re: how I feel after chemo, even when I first started and side effects were the worst, I had almost no GI side effects until days 5-7 of the cycle. By day 10 or so they would be mostly over. So not inconsistent with what you’re experiencing now.
49 YO mom of twins (11) lucky stepmom of 16/19 year olds
9/17/18 DX stage 4 CRC w inoperable liver mets CEA 931
Currently NED!

Join me on a lookback of my journey via my Strive for Five on Substack here:
https://ginajacobson.substack.com

All treatment details here:
https://www.weareallmadeofstars.net/col ... nt-journey

My favorite posts here:
https://weareallmadeofstars.net/favorite-posts

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”