Thin scope for colonoscopy?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
heiders33

Thin scope for colonoscopy?

Postby heiders33 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:18 am

I am tentatively scheduled for my annual colonoscopy on September 16. I had a colonoscopy last October with my colorectal surgeon, but he couldn't get past the sigmoid area for fear of puncturing the colon because of its post-surgical shape. (I had a Low Anterior Resection in Sep 2017). So this upcoming colonoscopy is at Memorial Sloan Kettering and they said they will use a thinner scope. I don't know yet what doctor will be performing the scope, and I plan to ask many questions, but I want to know if anyone here has experienced this and what I should expect. I am very nervous -- I want to have the test, but I also don't want them to do any damage. What questions should I ask? Anyone have any experiences with thinner scopes that you would be willing to share?
40 year-old female
May 2017: Dx rectal cancer T3N2M0
MSS, KRAS G12D
6/17: 28 days chemorad
9/17: LAR/loop ileostomy, CAPOX six rounds
3/18: reversal
9/18: liver met, resection/HAI pump, 11 rounds 5FU, 1 round FUDR
11/19 - local recurrence, brachytherapy, 3 weeks targeted radiation
12/21 - end colostomy

Jacques

Re: Thin scope for colonoscopy?

Postby Jacques » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:20 am

heiders33 wrote:... Any experiences with thinner scopes that you would be willing to share?

Maybe what they mean by "thinner scope" is a pediatric scope??? But if they get through with a pediatric scope maybe the scope will not be long enough to reach all the way to the caecum.

O Stoma Mia wrote:
JudeD59 wrote:I'm the type person who has less anxiety if I have a very clear picture of what to expect with procedures. I'm scheduled for my leak test on February 10th, so if anyone would be willing to take the time to give a detailed description of exactly what to expect, I would greatly appreciate it...

The leak-test session had two objectives:
  1. Anastomosis patency check: In this phase, they try to determine if the anastomosis has a large-enough opening. Phase 1. In this phase, they give a mild sedative and use a small pediatric colonoscope to see if it is possible for the small colonoscope to reach the other side of the anastomosis. In other words, it is a check to see if the anastomosis has any opening at all, or if it has been completely closed off by scar tissue or adhesions. If this test is successful (i.e., they are able to push the pediatric colonoscope through to the other side) they then proceed to Phase 2. In Phase 2 they increase the dose of the sedative so that the patient won't feel anything from this point onward. After the sedative has taken effect, they then attempt to pass a normal-size adult colonoscope through the opening that they just found earlier using the pediatric colonoscope. If they manage to get the adult colonoscope to go all the way through, then the test is successful. If not, then the test fails and they postpone the reversal until they can do something about increasing the size of the opening. (The opening must be large enough to accommodate an adult colonoscope, because colonoscopies will be required later on, and every three years subsequently. If the opening is not large enough, they will need to do the repairs now, not later.)
  2. Leak test: If the above tests are successful, then they do the set-up for the leak test. I think the way it works is like this (but I don't know for sure, since I was under heavy sedation from this point onward): They insert a special catheter that has an inflatable balloon at the end. When they inflate the balloon, the catheter then serves as a plug that prevents anything from coming out during the leak test. They then use the catheter to force contrast solution up into the rectal area, far enough to fill up the anastomosis and the neo-rectum area. When this part of the colon/rectum is full of contrast solution, then they use some kind of portable X-ray machine or fluoroscope to check whether any of the contrast liquid has escaped from the colon. If they don't see any leaks on the image, they then release the clamp on the catheter to allow the contrast fluid to escape. After all of the fluid has drained out, they then deflate the balloon completely so that they can gently remove the catheter. I think they also have something like a bed-pan there to handle any fluid that may come out after the catheter has been removed. The nurses handled all of the clean up necessary, and when I finally woke up from the anaesethesia, the doctor told me that the test had been successful and that I was ready to be discharged.

This is what I remember about my experience. It may be a different procedure in your case.

heiders33

Postby heiders33 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:49 pm

Thanks, this is helpful. I did have those procedures done before my reversal. But when my colorectal surgeon went to do my colonoscopy eight months later, there was something about the shape of my colon that made him stop. I’m going to have him speak directly to the GI doc who will perform my colonoscopy.
40 year-old female
MSS, KRAS G12D
12/21 - end colostomy

crikklekay

Postby crikklekay » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:22 am

My husband initially only had a partial colonoscopy in the hospital because the tumor was blocking his colon (and thusly why we ended up there), so he had to get a complete colonoscopy months later. Unfortunately his stoma had shrunk a ridiculous amount and there was no way a normal scope would fit, so his gastro doctor scheduled him at the hospital. Apparently they had a scope less than 10 mm in diameter (as that was the size of his stoma) and were able to complete the colonoscopy. Maybe they are using something like that? It went really well for my husband, so I hope it will go well for you too!
Caring for DH John
Stage IIIC, Lymph nodes: 6/22
Chemo: FOLFOX (6)
12/17 ER and emergency surgery
02/18 Hospital w/MSSA infected port, PICC line inserted, chest CT scan showed septic emboli & blood clots
03/18 Hospital w/CDIFF
08/18 CT Scan Clear, NEMD
2018/2019/2021 Colonoscopy Clear
2019/2020/2021/2022 CT Scan Clear
2021 PET scan & MRI show one spot on liver
08/21 Liver surgery to remove spot, confirmed mCRC. Now Stage IV
09/21 Start Folfiri + Avastin
03/22 CEA Rise, continuing chemo

Atoq

Postby Atoq » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:54 pm

Hi, I had a colonscopy in November and they used a thinner scope because of the multiple surgeries. I did not have any sedation or painkillers and it was quick and pain free.

All the beat

Claudia
1972, 2 kids
Dx rectal cancer 10.2017
T3N2aMX (met left lung 8 mm)
Lynch neg
CEA 1.8
Neoadjuvant chemoradio Xeloda + 25x2 Gy
05.12.17 laparotomic surg. for blockage, colostomy
25.01.18 laparotomic lar, hysterectomy, ileostomy
05.03.18 core needle lung biopsy
07.05.18 CAT scan, lung met 11 mm
04.06.18 ileo reversal
26.06.18 wedge VATS
24.08.18, 31.02.19 CAT scan
12.09.18, 06.02.19 scope, CEA 1.6
19.11.18 scope
20.08.19 CAT, eco
13.09.19 scope, CEA 1.2
18.03.20 CAT, eco, scope, NED
29.11.20 CAT, NED
2023 NED

heiders33

Postby heiders33 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:30 am

Thank you so much everyone! Very reassuring.
40 year-old female
MSS, KRAS G12D
12/21 - end colostomy

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:00 pm

It has been over a year since my right hemicolectomy, and no one has ever mentioned my ever having a colonoscopy. Next time I see my oncologist, I'll ask him about it. I mean, obviously the concern has been with trying to eliminate metastatic disease, but I wonder if those of us with right hemis ever have routine colonoscopies later on?
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable