cat vs mri vs pet scan

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
natelaugh

cat vs mri vs pet scan

Postby natelaugh » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi,

My dad is almost finish with his 12 cycles 5FU treatments. He is soon to be scheduled for a scan. Normally, a CAT scan with contrast is done. However, he has chronic kidney disease. The doctor's reason for CAT scan is because he and other oncologists are train to read CAT scan. He claims MRI or PET is too hard to read because overload information. Is it more harder to read/detect cancer using MRI, PET scan vs CAT scan? Or should get second opinion?

Thanks,
Nate.
Caregiver to 80M
DX:CC,RC,desc
11/2018 rightPain
1/19/19 scopy,path
1/23 CTscan
2/19 surgery
2/26-2/28 NGTube
2/28-3/14 TPN bc ileus
3/2 2nd surgeryCloseOpenWound
3/4-3/28 woundVac
size: 6cm Adenocarcinoma
grade Poorly
Stage IIIC T3N2aMx
PositiveLymph:5of28
BaselineCEA:68
LVI:Y
PNI:N
Surgical margins:clear
MSI:MMR (MLH1, MSH2, MSH6, PMS2) Intact nuclear expression
Lynch status:N
Laparascopic, partial colectomy
CEA:3/28/19 2.8
Chemo:4/16/19-9/17/19 5FU,12cycles,every 14days,leucoverin,zofran,Dexamethasone

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Re: cat vs mri vs pet scan

Postby betsydoglover » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:37 pm

Wow - a good radiologist should be well able to read a PET only. I did that for a while. Plenty of radiologists who specialize in advanced imaging - find one of those.

If it is the onc's opinion about these scans, then don't listen to it. If the radiologist's, then find another one.
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

cartech78

Postby cartech78 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Different scans work better for different organs! MRI is better on liver vs ct scan but on lungs the CT scan is better. The pet scan to my knowledge i thought was the best because any tumors actually light up. This is my understanding but im not a doctor so it’s possible im wrong a little here as well.
40 Y/o male
Dx 10/5/18 stage lV CRC
Sg colon T3N1bM1a
Histologic grade-G2
7 inoperable liver mets largest 4.5 cm
Colon resection 10/6/18 clean margins
Starting FolFox on 11/18
2nd opinion at MSK on 12/18
HAI pump installed on 3/6/2018 also found 20 more small tumors on liver scans missed
7/2/2018 MRI and CT show only 2 liver tumors visible and they are shrunk by 3/4
8/5/2018- Pet scan- Dr.Kemeny and Dr.Kingham think ive had complete response from pump. Want me to do a little more chemo to be safe.

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:55 pm

natelaugh wrote:Hi,
My dad is almost finish with his 12 cycles 5FU treatments. He is soon to be scheduled for a scan. Normally, a CAT scan with contrast is done. However, he has chronic kidney disease. The doctor's reason for CAT scan is because he and other oncologists are train to read CAT scan. He claims MRI or PET is too hard to read because overload information. Is it more harder to read/detect cancer using MRI, PET scan vs CAT scan? Or should get second opinion?

Thanks,
Nate.

Respectfully :
radiologists like what they like and contrast enhances the definition in a scan = WHAT IS BEST FOR THEM

NON contrast CT scans can and SHOULD be done with patients who have existing renal issues .... DUUUUHHHH !!!! :twisted:

Second opinion would be required IMO if the primary Docs do not see the patient's issues with having contrast !!!!!

PET, MRI, CT ... ALL have contrasts injected to make the diagnostic image the best it can be
I get it = best image is in the patient's best interest to get the BEST diagnosis

BUTT ... NOT if contrast IS the issue for that patient !!!!!

Best wishes
Just my 2 cents worth !

CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
12 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”