Tips for 1st Chemo?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CMeeks

Tips for 1st Chemo?

Postby CMeeks » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:30 am

Hi Everyone,

I want to say thanks to everyone who has posted to some of the questions I've had. You've all been really helpful and this forum is one of the only things that's made me feel better since my diagnosis.

I start my chemo this coming Thursday, November 3rd. I'll be on Folfox6.

I'm wondering if there are any preparations I should be making. I'm sure there are. I remember someone saying to drink lots of fluids the day before. Which I'll do. Is there anything else anyone can think of that I should do as I get ready for this?

Wishing all of you good health,

Chet Meeks
Chet

1st Chemo

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:11 pm

Chet,

The fluids are a good idea. The only thing I can really suggest is that as things are happening, let your nurse know. They may not be able to help with specific side effects, but you should document how you feel. I can't lie to you man, I got sick, ugly sick, a few times, in spite of how many times my oncologist told me that they made huge strides in chemo and "it shouldn't be that bad". LOL Keep an good outlook though, it's just a thing we have to go through, but in the end it's better than the alternative.

Good Luck!!

Billy

edinaman

Postby edinaman » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:52 pm

Chet, good luck to you on your first chemo. It is a terrifying experience. The one thing my oncologist said was not to come to the first chemo alone. It is so mentally overwhelming that it is good to have someone else drive. I remember waiting after the first treatment to be sick. I was tired and somewhat nauseated (they do give you various meds for it), but otherwise it wasn't too bad. Today is Halloween-I remember last year sitting in a chair on this date and wondering if I would have the strength to get up to answer the door for the trick or treators. Chemo ended this past May. Today I was thrilled to be able to answer the door and feel fine. Try to remember that there is life after chemo. Any discomort, pain, nausea, diarreha, constipation, skin problems etc. should be reported to your oncologist or chemo nurse-they have meds or suggestions to help with most problems. Let us know how things go next week.

jenny fish

first chemo

Postby jenny fish » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:27 pm

hi, one thing i find really helpful is i do a lot of deep breathing before each treatment. i've had 42 treatments, so i've learned to see patterns in what i do and how bad or not so bad my treatments are. the fluids are very important. and i try to eat before i go, but not to heavy. eat something that you know doesn't upset your stomach. i find if i'm on a completely empty stomach, i get more nauseous . also i started jogging for a little bit before i go to the hospital, that seems to help alot.also , i find that everytime i get a bed and lay down, the chemo seems to hit me harder than when i just recline in the chairs. i always find i do better at treatments when i keep my mind occupied with music or magazines, than when i sleep or just sit there. good luck on thursday, i got treatment that day too. :D

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:46 pm

Chet,

I hope that your first chemotherapy treatment is uneventful. Here are a couple thoughts I have for you regarding preparations:

1. Do get the apartment tidy. You may be sleepy and cleaning will not be a priority.

2. You may consider cooking and freezing some meals. You may develop a sensitivity to the smell of cooking. It may make you nauseated and if all you have to do is defrost and eliminate the linger smell throughout your apartment.

3. Buy hand sanitizer.

4. Make sure that you have plenty of anti-nausea meds. You may not be nauseated but better to be prepared.

5. Keep a clear path to the potty. No road blocks if you will. Trust me on this one.

6. Find an excellent deep relaxation tape to listen to. It will be soothing to listen to at home and during treatments.

7. Do you write in a journal? You may want to because people and a lot of them are going to have questions about your journey. You may develop 'chemo brain' and a journal will help jog your memory.

8. Say your prayers everyday and

you must believe that ALL things are possible!

You will be in my prayers and I do hope that you will find a free moment to plant something special.

Traybug

Not a big help...

Postby Traybug » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:51 pm

Hey Chet,

I obviously can't offer you any advice because I myself have not been through chemo. However, please know that I am thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way.

My brother Dan had his port put in yesterday and starts chemo Monday. He got sick from having the port put in and is now sore. His first session of chemo is going to last 10 hours! I hope yours isn't as long for your sake! He found out that he has been placed in arm C of the clinical trial so he will be receiving both the erbitux and avastin plus Folfox 5. When you have time, can you let me know what your doctors have mentioned to you about the side effects of the drugs to look for? I know you have bigger fish to fry right now, so whenever you get time it would be great. I know his group gave him a ton of paperwork listing the side effects but I'm not sure they went into any great detail. Any help is appreciated!

I have a portable DVD player that I am going to lend him to hopefully help pass the time!

Best of luck tomorrow...I'm sure it will be a difficult road to travel, but at least it is the road to recovery!!!

Take care of yourself Chet!!!

Talk to you soon,

Tracey :D

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:59 pm

Chet,

Well, how was your day? I hope that you are resting and know that you are in my prayers!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”