Newly diagnosed rectal cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
NHMike

Re: Newly diagnosed rectal cancer

Postby NHMike » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:28 pm

MeAndMine wrote:I woke up this morning nauseous. I only had one full day of treatment and I was wondering how I was going to handle it if I was sick already. I think maybe it was just me having an empty stomach for too long.

I woke up around 3am. I usually get up around 4 or so but if I wake up earlier, I will check emails and read things instead of getting my day started. Maybe that time was too long to have an empty stomach. I was trying to go back to sleep but I couldn't. I may need to take something upstairs with me at night in case I wake up so my stomach isn't empty. I had to take a nausea pill and was worried about needing more the rest of the day. I did feel nauseous but not enough to have to take another one so I think it's maybe me being anxious over it. I know I need to enjoy the next week or so before things really set in. Hopefully I can keep a good frame of mind.

I know some of you only had oral chemo on the days you had radiation. Mine is set up to take them 7 days a week so even on weekends when there is no radiation planned. The oncologist said if it got too rough, we could skip weekends. I'm hoping I will be able to do all of the treatments as planned.

I had the Xeloda for two weeks (14 days) on Adjuvant but then there is a week off. I do think that 28 days straight of it is rough stuff. I never got nausea from Xeloda though - I only got it on the Oxaliplatin.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

MeAndMine

Postby MeAndMine » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:25 am

I did okay with nausea yesterday. After I took something to help in the morning, I kept food in my stomach every couple of hours. I didn't want to eat but I did better than usual and was closer to my calorie goal than I have ever been. I got my protein up to over 100 but still not at goal for that. I'm not overly nauseous today. Kind of queasy but not bad.

The palm of my left hand has been burning a bit today. I hold my phone in that hand so I'm thinking the heat from the phone is making making the skin not happy. I am going to try to break that habit.

I've been playing phone tag with doctor's appointments. I had two different ones on one day so I called to change one, then realized after I changed it that they needed me for an hour longer than usual at the first one so I had to call again to change the time. It's funny that it popped into my head early this morning out of the blue. I don't know what made me think of it but I'm glad I did because it's Friday and the appointments are Monday so I'd have not been able to do anything after today.

I have a calendar with all of the appointments on it, I just forgot that on Monday's the radiation time also includes an extra doctor visit so they say to add an hour on to the normal time.

I'm trying to take things one day at a time instead of looking at the whole picture. I'm glad I have the next two days off from radiation. Still have to take the chemo on the weekends and still have to figure out how to get enough of the right kinds of food in.

They told me not to use anything on my skin yet for radiation. I have not been using anything but I want to. I think I will take the opportunity to do so on the weekends at least. I'm afraid I can't wash it off well enough for treatments. They said not to use a wash cloth when you bathe because it's rough on the skin. That's another thing to get used to!
F 56 non-smoker
8/5/2019 - Colonoscopy - 4-5 cm rectal mass, 2-3 cm proximal to anal verge and 6mm polyp
8/13/2019 - CT - No mets
8/19/2019 - Rectum: Adenocarcinoma arising from tubulovillous adenoma. Descending colon: tubular adenoma
8/23/2019 First visit with surgeon
8/26/2019 First visit with oncologist
8/26/2019 MRI
CEA 8/19/19=3.9, 8/26/19=7.1
9/6/2019 - T3N2a
9/11/2019 - Radiation begins - 5.5 weeks along with oral capecitabine

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:47 am

MeAndMine wrote:I did okay with nausea yesterday. After I took something to help in the morning, I kept food in my stomach every couple of hours. I didn't want to eat but I did better than usual and was closer to my calorie goal than I have ever been. I got my protein up to over 100 but still not at goal for that. I'm not overly nauseous today. Kind of queasy but not bad.

The palm of my left hand has been burning a bit today. I hold my phone in that hand so I'm thinking the heat from the phone is making making the skin not happy. I am going to try to break that habit.

I've been playing phone tag with doctor's appointments. I had two different ones on one day so I called to change one, then realized after I changed it that they needed me for an hour longer than usual at the first one so I had to call again to change the time. It's funny that it popped into my head early this morning out of the blue. I don't know what made me think of it but I'm glad I did because it's Friday and the appointments are Monday so I'd have not been able to do anything after today.

I have a calendar with all of the appointments on it, I just forgot that on Monday's the radiation time also includes an extra doctor visit so they say to add an hour on to the normal time.

I'm trying to take things one day at a time instead of looking at the whole picture. I'm glad I have the next two days off from radiation. Still have to take the chemo on the weekends and still have to figure out how to get enough of the right kinds of food in.

They told me not to use anything on my skin yet for radiation. I have not been using anything but I want to. I think I will take the opportunity to do so on the weekends at least. I'm afraid I can't wash it off well enough for treatments. They said not to use a wash cloth when you bathe because it's rough on the skin. That's another thing to get used to!

It's good to record everything and use automation and reminders as much as possible as I found that you lose some cognitive ability while on chemo. Also good to look short-term and not worry too much about the long-term.
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18

MeAndMine

Postby MeAndMine » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:53 pm

It's good to record everything and use automation and reminders as much as possible as I found that you lose some cognitive ability while on chemo. Also good to look short-term and not worry too much about the long-term.

Thanks Mike. I tend to read too much and look at the big picture which leads to worry. I do better if I focus on today but I have a hard time doing that.

My kids set up a calendar and they all help me keep tabs on things that way. When a doctor makes an appointment and hands me a handwritten card or printed paper, I take a picture of it and text it to the group chat so everyone can help me keep up with things. They also set up a drive with access to the paperwork and things to do with treatment. I never used the calendar app on my phone. I was used to Outlook reminding me of birthday's on the computer. But the calendar has the location and I tap that and the map opens to take me where I need to drive to so that is neat.

I think it's too soon for memory issues but I have done something a couple of times that was funny. Today we were talking about a tree at the facility and my husband asked if I thought it might be a pecan tree. I told him that I thought it was just a decorative tree because I didn't see any animals in it. I was thinking of the word fruit, not animals. It was funny.

Radiation was super quick today. We leave early to go because there is almost always a road blocked somewhere with the traffic here. Today for the first time, it was free and clear so we were early. We went in and before I could sit down, they called me. She said they were early today, too. I was done 2 minutes before my actual appointment time. That was nice as I was already wanting to go to the bathroom from all of the water I had.
F 56 non-smoker
8/5/2019 - Colonoscopy - 4-5 cm rectal mass, 2-3 cm proximal to anal verge and 6mm polyp
8/13/2019 - CT - No mets
8/19/2019 - Rectum: Adenocarcinoma arising from tubulovillous adenoma. Descending colon: tubular adenoma
8/26/2019 MRI
9/6/2019 - T3N2a

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:30 pm

MeAndMine -

It looks like your chemo-radiation sessions are going well so far. Good!. Hopefully, the trend will continue. I think you have already covered the most important things with all of the focused research that you have already done in advance.

There is one important area that I would like to mention, however, and that is the telephone or e-mail access to the doctors on the weekends. Do you have reliable contact information for your doctors, and are you sure how it works on the weekends? If you ever have a problem on the weekend, are you sure you will have an effective way to reach someone who can help? (This is mainly for problems that are serious but not so serious that they would merit a trip to the ER.)

Sometimes when patients have problems on the week-ends there is no one answering the phone at the number that they were given, and any voice-mail messages left at the contact number are not attended to until the first thing on Monday morning.

For Xeloda-based chemo-radiation there are some types of problems that can first emerge on Friday afternoons and reach crisis levels quickly within 48 hours or so.

MeAndMine

Postby MeAndMine » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:23 pm

Do you have reliable contact information for your doctors, and are you sure how it works on the weekends?

I have no idea. I just have the main office number so I need to ask about that on Monday.

I'm having a little nausea and indigestion today. Anyone want to share what they ate for breakfast while taking oral chemo? I have never wanted to eat much in the morning and trying to eat so I can take the pills is hard to figure out. Nothing is very appetizing right now. I have a refrigerator full of food made for me but can't stand the thought of it. I wonder how much food is enough to take with them.
F 56 non-smoker
8/13/2019 - CT - No mets
8/26/2019 MRI
9/6/2019 - T3N2a

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:54 pm

MeAndMine wrote:
Do you have reliable contact information for your doctors, and are you sure how it works on the weekends?

I have no idea. I just have the main office number so I need to ask about that on Monday.

I'm having a little nausea and indigestion today. Anyone want to share what they ate for breakfast while taking oral chemo? I have never wanted to eat much in the morning and trying to eat so I can take the pills is hard to figure out. Nothing is very appetizing right now. I have a refrigerator full of food made for me but can't stand the thought of it. I wonder how much food is enough to take with them.

My hospital had a ChemoTeach session where they gave me the emergency numbers and directions but I think that it went by me as I was concerned with several other things. I asked about the percentage of patients that need to go to the ER or get someone over the weekend and she said it was very low and uncommon. I have heard of a few cases on these boards but it doesn't seem to happen very often. But, when it does, it can certainly be life-threatening.

I usually didn't eat breakfast on chemo days. My radiation appointments were 8 in the morning and sometimes I went to work at 5:00 AM, worked for a while and then went to the appointment. With drinking the water, etc. I really didn't feel like breakfast anyways.
MSS, KRAS G12D
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18

Caat55

Postby Caat55 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:22 pm

MeAndMine wrote:
Is this the week when you'll be starting your neo-adjuvant chemo/radiation?

Yes, I'll be starting on Wednesday. Thank you for the links!

I sent a note in to my oncologist this morning because I won't see them until after starting treatments. They didn't prescribe any nausea meds or anything to go with the chemo and I wanted to make sure if I needed to have them on hand just in case. I do have Imodium in case of diarrhea and Mirilax in case of constipation.

I've got a pillow for my desk chair, lotion for my hands and feet and mouth rinse to ward off mouth issues.

I thought about going to get my nails done before but I didn't want to take the chance of getting nicked or scratched or something beforehand so I didn't go. I do need to cut my nails short today though, according to the pharmacy counselor. I think that may bug me to have them shorter than I'm used to because you get used to using them in a certain way and they won't be there but at least I won't accidentally scratch myself.

I had my teeth deep cleaned last month and my daughter bought me some ultra soft tooth brushes. I have a sensitive toothpaste that I always use but might just use baking soda in case even that bothers me, I'm not sure on that.

I have head and shoulders shampoo. I guess that's not really medicated though so thank you for that suggestion.

Did anyone use a particular kind of soap during treatment? I've always used Dial for years. It's an antibacterial soap and I have used it for years to help with skin issues. I'm not sure if it's drying and if I should switch to something like Dove with moisturizers or just plain Ivory soap.

I could not use soap on my bottom, actually anyplace exposed to the radiation down there. I used a gentle body wash and found it okay. All soaps were irritants.
S
Do at 55 y.o. Female
Dx 9/26/17 RC Stage 3
Completed 33 rad. tx, xeolda 12/8/17
MRI and PET 1/18 sign. regression
Surgery 1/31/18 Ileostomy, clean margins, no lymph node involved
Port 3/1/2018
Oxaliplatin and Xeloda start 3/22/18
Last Oxaliplatin 7/5/18, 5 rounds
CT NED 9/2018
PET NED 12/18
Clear Colonoscopy 2/19, 5/20

MeAndMine

Postby MeAndMine » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:06 pm

I had so many appointments today. Or at least it felt like it. I had radiation then met with the radiology oncologist. That was the fastest meeting I think I've ever had with a doctor. He may have been in the room all of 60 seconds. He came in and mentioned that I'd just started and asked how I'm doing. I guess there's not a lot going on in the beginning for him. I asked him if it was okay to use something like witch hazel or tucks pads and he said that was fine. I don't even know if that's something I should be using or that I would need, but was thinking of things that could help if I was having a problem.

After that I went to the oncologist. Blood work looks good. I asked about who to call on the weekends if I needed anything and talked about a few other things that I was having issues with like nausea. It has not been bad and I wondered if it is going to change as things accumulate. They all say the same thing "everybody is different" so we wait and see how it's going. I also got the okay to go and get a mole check as I noticed a place on my back that I hadn't noticed before. It was said that it's better to do it now while my blood work was coming back good. Of course you can't get a next day appointment so it's still a couple of weeks off. Hopefully I'll still be doing good then but won't have another blood check before then.

I'm still struggling to get enough calories in a day. Same with protein. They'd told me to stay away from dairy but the most protein I can get is from dairy--yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. And I just had my first whey protein drink. Maybe that's not the best thing but it got my protein up a little. If I'm tolerating dairy well then it's okay for me to have it. Still not where I'm supposed to be, numbers wise. I try but it's like a job to figure out what to eat and when then I'm lacking by the end of the day. I forgot to take anything with me to eat today so I went a long time without then got too full too fast to eat much more after I got home. I still need another 844 calories and 28 protein to hit the goal for today but I'm getting ready to head up to bed.

Oh, I did ask about using anti-bacterial soap. I know we're not supposed to but I have a skin condition so I've always used anti-bacterial soap. She said she wouldn't use it over the whole body because it's drying but if I wanted to use it on the affected area sometimes that would be okay because we don't want an infection to get started.

We also talked about the palms of my hands feeling hot as well as the bottoms of my feet. It's not bad, just noticeable. The only thing recommended is to keep them lotioned up. Maybe tonight I will see about wrapping them with lotion on. At least my feet. I don't sleep well and and up and down all night so I can't imagine it on my hands. Or really my feet if I get up to go to the bathroom now that I think about it.

I was going to ask about something for depression. I started to write it on the paper that you give them but never did then forgot to mention it. I don't really want to take anything but can't see myself talking it out, either. I think I just have to figure it out. The weekend was really hard. I do better when I have to go out, I think.

Sorry for the ramble.
F 56 non-smoker
8/13/2019 - CT - No mets
8/26/2019 MRI
9/6/2019 - T3N2a

MeAndMine

Postby MeAndMine » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:28 pm

As of today I've had 7 radiation treatments and taken capecitabine for 9 days since I'm on it on the weekends also. I'm already having issues with a sore bottom and I just started! I bought the water bottles to use in the bathroom instead of paper but even that stings. I've got 4 more weeks to go after tomorrow.

They're still telling me not to put anything on it other than when I was trying to talk to the doctor as he ran on the door on Monday and I asked about witch hazel and he said that'd be fine. I couldn't think fast enough to ask about anything else. I noticed on the bottle that witch hazel is 14% alcohol though so, no thank you. I'm going to ask again tomorrow. I'm not sure why they're so reluctant to help. They acted like me asking about the water bottles instead of toilet paper and asking about sitz baths were the first time they've ever heard of such a thing.

I've read about a lot of things to try, I'm afraid to do it when they said not to but afraid not to do it because it's getting painful.
F 56 non-smoker
8/13/2019 - CT - No mets
8/26/2019 MRI
9/6/2019 - T3N2a

MeAndMine

Postby MeAndMine » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:14 pm

Does the diarrhea get better? Will it get worse or stay the same for the rest of the treatments? I’ve stayed on the low residue diet and haven’t eaten anything different. I took otc diarrhea meds. I used aquaphor even though they said not to use anything. Hopefully I can make sure it’s all washed off in the morning.

I don’t know if the radiation causes it or the chemo or both. Or which doctor to ask for help. I’ll ask at radiation in the morning and/or call the oncologist after that.
F 56 non-smoker
8/13/2019 - CT - No mets
8/26/2019 MRI
9/6/2019 - T3N2a

Rock_Robster

Postby Rock_Robster » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:57 pm

MeAndMine wrote:Does the diarrhea get better? Will it get worse or stay the same for the rest of the treatments? I’ve stayed on the low residue diet and haven’t eaten anything different. I took otc diarrhea meds. I used aquaphor even though they said not to use anything. Hopefully I can make sure it’s all washed off in the morning.

I don’t know if the radiation causes it or the chemo or both. Or which doctor to ask for help. I’ll ask at radiation in the morning and/or call the oncologist after that.

For me, the diarrhea started in about the 3rd week of radiation, and hung around until maybe 2 weeks after I finished. However it did seem to get “better” in the sense that it wasn’t as uncomfortable - I’m not sure why but it seemed like my anatomy just sort of got used to it a bit? I was told diarrhea is the most common symptom from pelvic radiation, so pretty hard to avoid I think. Imodium is good if you’re worried about dehydration, and I used the bidet attachment and MooGoo cream throughout just to keep things healthy. Hope it resolves nice and quickly for you!
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
8/19 FOLFOX, FOLFOXIRI, FOLFIRI
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
11/21 Liver met, PALN, lung nodules
3/22 PVE, lymphadenectomy, liver SBRT
10/22 PALN SBRT
11/22 Liver mets, peri nodule. Xeloda+Bev
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial
12/23 Modified FOLFIRI+Bev
3/24 VAXINIA (CF33 + hNIS) trial

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:19 pm

Rock_Robster wrote:For me, the diarrhea started in about the 3rd week of radiation, and hung around until maybe 2 weeks after I finished. However it did seem to get “better” in the sense that it wasn’t as uncomfortable - I’m not sure why but it seemed like my anatomy just sort of got used to it a bit? I was told diarrhea is the most common symptom from pelvic radiation, so pretty hard to avoid I think. Imodium is good if you’re worried about dehydration, and I used the bidet attachment and MooGoo cream throughout just to keep things healthy. Hope it resolves nice and quickly for you!

This is the same as my experience. I had weekends off though.
MSS, KRAS G12D
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18

MeAndMine

Postby MeAndMine » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:11 pm

It started on the way home from treatment this morning. I’ve woken up twice tonight with my stomach burning. It seemed to hit all at once.
F 56 non-smoker
8/13/2019 - CT - No mets
8/26/2019 MRI
9/6/2019 - T3N2a

annieliz

Postby annieliz » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:19 pm

Hi MeAndMine,

So sorry to hear of your discomfort during your treatments. I think of you often, and hope that you are finding some relief.
66 Female
7/15/19 Colonoscopy
7/26/19 DX: Rectal Adenocarcinoma
CEA 8/8/19-1.9, 12/6/19-2.3, 2/28/20-1.7, 11/27 - 1.9, 2/10/21 - 1.5
8/16/19 - 11/23/19 FOLFOX - 8 rounds
10/9 flex sig ~30% shrinkage 11/27/19-a bit more shrinkage
Neulasta 9/29/19, 10/27/19, 11/24/19
25 days Xeloda and radiation 12/17/2019 - 1/22/20
Robotic LAR 4/14/20 - clear margins - 0/15 nodes
Temp ileostomy - Reversal 7/15 - minor LARS
10/19/20 - clear colonoscopy
2/10/21 - clear CT