Avastin & Bleeding Hemorroids

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Tucduck

Avastin & Bleeding Hemorroids

Postby Tucduck » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:02 am

Since my wife started on Avastin in Dec 2005 she has had small amounts of blood on tissue also blood in bowl. Not a constant problem, just occasionally. This has been an more of a nuisance than an acute problem. She's also on Camptosar & Xeloda.
Has anyone experienced this problem?
No nosebleeds or high blood pressure.
herb...

Patrusha

Postby Patrusha » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:58 pm

As a colon cancer patient, any amount of blood from the rear is of concern to me. Your wife should bring this up with her doctor. It may just be a side effect but I would want to be sure.
KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!
6.29.06 Colonoscopy found the mass!
7.06.06 Colon resection a success. Stage II, T3, N0, MX. Doing the Folfox6 thing as part of a study.

Tucduck

Postby Tucduck » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:07 pm

Both the oncologist & primary physician have been monitoring problem.
Blood definitely coming from hemorroids, sitz baths, anusol hc, fiber helps.
Many colonoscopy's have been done since original dx in 1998, colon & rectum look good but hemmoroids have been there since childbirth in 1958. I'm surprised that this topic hasn't appeared before as Avastin has a tendency to make bleeding occur. Thanks for the concern & quick reply.
herb...
Sometimes you are sad...and no one sees your tears...
Sometimes you are happy...and no one sees you smile...
BUT fart one time...

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:24 am

I've had a tiny bit of bleeding from a hemorrhoid, too. I've had the thing for years. I'm planning to mention it at my next visit, though. The docs need to know everyting. I have LOTS of nosebleeds. They don't last long, bit they're frequent. My BP is starting to sneak up a little bit, but not dramaticly.

All in all, Avastin is pretty easy to get along with, and it seems to be the new wonder drug. It will be interesting to see the statistics on it when we're all long term survivors years from now. Oxaliplatin boosted survival rates hugely from where they were before, and it looks like Avastin and Ervitux may well do the same.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”