New “diet” ?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
SilverWedding
Facebook Username: Cynthia Harding Marshall

New “diet” ?

Postby SilverWedding » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:36 pm

Just wondering about the foods I am preparing for my family, and beginning to “research” value in a better overall diet including no processed meats, way less sugar, teas, organic foods, etc.

Any suggestions on resources, cookbooks, or general feelings on the matter?

I was moved many years ago over the history of The Maker’s Diet.

Certainly I can be doing something to help my sweet husband. He’s a meat and potatoes kind of guy who loves a good hot dog on the hibachi. But when I mentioned going to the cancer center’s library to research being more purposeful in the foods we choose, he was open to it. I want to know I’ve done all I could.

Thanks for any thoughts on it.
DH, 56, Sigmoid & rectum
Adenocarcinoma 2cm
 G2: Moderately differentiated
T3N2aM0
Stage IIIb
LN 6/22
5/19 Baseline CEA value - 18.9
Lymphovascular invasion (LVI): present
Perineural invasion (PNI): not identified
Surgical margins: proximal -negative; distal - negative 1.5cm; circumferential - negative 1mm)
MSI status: Waiting‬
Lynch status: ?
KRAS/BRAF: ?
Open Restorative Proctectomy, J-Pouch Coloanal Anastomosis, Loop Ileo w/Appendectomy
Neo-adjuvant Xeloda/radiation
Adjuvant Chemo: to begin 11/19

Rock_Robster

Re: New “diet” ?

Postby Rock_Robster » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:01 pm

Hi SilverWedding,

Great idea. My wife and I both do a diet plan called the “Whole30”. There’s lots of free info available online. It’s basically a whole-foods diet which excludes most processed foods, sugars, etc. It isn’t specifically anti-cancer, but we do a mainly pescatarian version (due to me now avoiding red and processed meats), and I also include lots of nuts (good for cancer survival, apparently).

I was concerned about losing weight, so the main benefit I like is that there is no restrictions on how much you can eat, and the food all ends up being really high quality. The only downside is more effort in terms of planning and preparing home-cooked meals, and eating out can be more challenging (a lot of seafood restaurants for us!).

Cheers
Rob
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
8/19 FOLFOX, FOLFOXIRI, FOLFIRI
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
11/21 Liver met, PALN, lung nodules
3/22 PVE, lymphadenectomy, liver SBRT
10/22 PALN SBRT
11/22 Liver mets, peri nodule. Xeloda+Bev
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial
12/23 Modified FOLFIRI+Bev
3/24 VAXINIA (CF33 + hNIS) trial

TinaFish

Re: New “diet” ?

Postby TinaFish » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:13 am

Bill Henderson says that cancer patients should stay away from ALL meat, because, according to him, the effort that the body has to put forth to digest that meat is so huge, and it takes away from the body's cancer-fighting energy.

My oncologist said that it doesn't matter at all what I eat - that it all turns into sugar in the end anyway. Everything does, except for protein.

I've never been a meat-lover anyway, and I've become almost vegetarian in recent years. I've lost 15 lbs during the last two months since I was diagnosed with cancer, and that scares me. In the immediate days after chemo, my appetite is nonexistent. After I start feeling better, my appetite still is not what it should be. So in the name of getting some calories into my body, I usually just allow myself to eat whatever is appealing at the moment, even if it's junk food.

I used to love fish, but I just can't stomach the thought of eating it nowadays. I'm lucky if I can get a bean and cheese burrito down my throat for dinner, or maybe some pasta. Yeah, that s*** turns into sugar...
F 45, single mother to son, 7 and daughter, 3
DX: stage 4 Rectal Cancer June 2019
Tumor Location: ? cm above anal verge
Tumor type: Adenocarcinoma
Tumor size: 5 cm
Tumor grade: ?
TNM code: ?
Stage : Stage IV-B
# of cancerous lymph nodes: ?
Mets: Numerous mets to liver, lungs
CEA: 22 in July; 11 as of August 15, 7 as of Sept 20
MSI status: MSS
KRAS/BRAF status: KRAS mutation
surgery: TBD
Ostomy surgery: TBD
Radiation therapy: TBD
Chemotherapy : CAPEOX+Avastin, 6 cycles, with CT scans after 3rd and 6th cycle.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”