Complete pathological response

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Elove642

Complete pathological response

Postby Elove642 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:35 pm

My husband was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer. There was one lymph node that looked suspicious so he was started with neoadjuvant chemo(8 folfox, every two weeks), and the 30 radiation sessions which started three days after his last chemo. They waited about 5 weeks and went straight to surgery, removing his rectum and making a j pouch and giving him a temp ileostomy. Pathology report came back as a complete pathological response.

All of this is fantastic, but we do have some concerns and hoped someone had some similar situations.
It has been almost 4 weeks since surgery and I’m the last week and a half, he has been in terrible pain at the top of his tailbone. He also had spasms that feel like he needs to sit on the toilet. When he does, oily globules come out, as well as mucous. He also has had a bit of trouble urination but we think we have remedied that with better hydration.
Is it normal to have so much stuff come out with an ostomy? Is the tail bone pain normal, and could some of this be residual radiation pain/issues?

Hopefully, some of you can shed some light, his surgeons office act like this is all normal. We see them again tomorrow, but wanted to hear from you guys first.
Wife to DH age 42
Cholonoscopy 11/12 for rectal bleeding, found mass in rectum
Path report 11/20 says signet ring cell adenocarcinoma
MRI staged as T3d
CEA 0.5
start oxaliplatin/5FU chemo 12/18

AussieAssCancer

Re: Complete pathological response

Postby AussieAssCancer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:51 am

Congrats to hubby - sounds like a similar protocol to me and with an identical result.

In terms of the tail bone pain - I can’t offer any assistance. I have a dullness in my tailbone from time to time but it wasn’t after surgery and is usually if I’ve been sitting for a long time.

As for the ‘spasms’ and passing globules and mucous, this is totally normal! I know because I had the same thing and presented to the ER/ED and had to wait around for hours until they could find a colorectal surgeon who would answer their phone and confirmed it was completely expected.

The reason is that the ileostomy your husband has is most likely a ‘loop’ one, in which they pull a fold of the small intestine out (like the end of a sausage folded over) and the cut the external surface so it opens up and looks like a bit of a volcano mouth from the side.

While most of the waste is captured in the pouch, some of it does pass through to the other side of the intestine, and so makes it’s way to your husbands new poo chute.

The other issue is that your intestines are constantly moving and creating a mucous-like substance to move things along. While there is usually a period of ‘downtime’ after surgery, and even though the large intestine isn’t being called on to do its job, it doesn’t know that, and so keeps on keeping on.

I raised it with my own surgeon at a follow-up and he said it was also a sign that the bowel is healing so all round, good news.

I would definitely chase down the tailbone pain however if it continues.

Wishing hubby continued good health.

AAC
Dx Oct '15 w/ Stage 3c RC/ CEA 8
Nov '15 - Jan '16: 3x FOLFOX and 5wks Chemoradiation w/ Xeloda
March '16: ULAR w/ temp ileostomy
Complete pathological response incl 0/12 nodes
May - Aug '16: 9x FOLFOX (dropped Oxaliplatin for final Rd due to neuropathy)
Clear CT scans in April ‘16 (NED), Dec ‘16, Aug ‘17, Feb ‘18, March ‘19, Feb ‘20
Feb '17: Ileostomy reversed
CEA Post Surgery: ALWAYS 2

Blog: kickingrectalcancerintheassblog
https://kickingrectalcancerintheassblog.wordpress.com/

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:02 pm

Wonderful news regarding your husband!*hugs* He could mention the tailbone pain to his doctor. I hope he feels better soon!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

CF_69

Postby CF_69 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:40 pm

The tailbone pain could be a result of the radiation.

I had very bad back pain after surgery but it turned out to be herniated discs.
47 at diagnosis
Rectosigmoid junction
Adenocarcinoma
2.8 x 1.8 x 3.5 cm
G2
T3N0M0
CEA:
December 2018 - 1.9
September 2019 - 2.5
March 2020 - 2.3
September 2020 - 2.5
Xeloda / radiation x 25
Laparoscopic LAR April 2019
0 of 12 nodes
Stage 2A
4 cycles of adjuvant Xeloda
MRI on liver for 2mm hypodensity not suspicious.
Clear CT - September 2019
Clear CT - October 2020

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”