Problems with port

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
k0chr
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:08 pm

Problems with port

Postby k0chr » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:31 pm

First off, thank you all for the great information and links that have been posted. I feel much less stressed about starting chemo because of it.

Monday I start FOLFOX, 12 rounds. This past Friday I went for blood tests but the RN wasn't able to get a blood return from my port (it had been installed the previous Friday). After several attempts by 2 RNs including all the various repositionings, they recommended I come in early before my onc appointment to get a clot buster. She said it wasn't abnormal for this to occur and I've read about others having challenges with their ports. Is this likely a sign of more troubles to come with the port or it it common for this to be a one off?
DX: 54
05/24/19 DX: CC rectosigmoid adenocarcinoma
06/07/19: laparascopic
5.8cm tumor, clear margins
G2 IIIA T2N1AM0
1/10 positive
07/08/19: starting FOLFOX, 12 cycles
08/14/19: gallbladder removed
08/19/19: DVT left internal jugular vein, subclavian, & axillary veins, daily Lovenox injections

AmyG
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:08 pm

Re: Problems with port

Postby AmyG » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:41 am

I've only had one nurse not be able to access mine and that's been in since April. She ended up drawing labs from my hand. :roll:

Hopefully it was just a one off for you too!

Good luck with FOLFOX, I have round 6 tomorrow. It's not awful but I can think of more fun things to do with my time! :lol:
42 dx @ 9wks pregnant w/baby #8 8/18
Sigmoid colon resection 9/18
Adenocarcinoma, G2, T3N0M0..or so we thought
KRAS/BRAF wild
Liver biopsy is malignant, stage iv now boys!
Delivered healthy baby 3/19
FOLFOX + Avastin 5/19
CEA 167 to 24 after 4 rounds
Liver resection 8/28/19
NED!! CEA 2.3

jep
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Re: Problems with port

Postby jep » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:50 am

I’m sorry you are having trouble with your port....my husband has consistently had issues having blood drawn from his port....they have tried everything, and even did a “port study” to make sure that he was able to receive through the port....no problems there. Now he just has his blood drawn from his arm because it’s a pain to wait around for the meds that clear the port....he’s fine with it, but i’m Sure it could be an issue for someone who has a hard time giving blood from the arm....hopefully this is just a small glitch and it will work well from here on out!
Wife of DH (47) Stage IV CC on 5/16/17
T Loc: recto-sigmoid
T type: Adenocarcinoma
T size: 7.4 cm
T grade: G3
TNM code: T3N2M1
Pos LNs: 8 out of 20
Baseline CEA value: .9
LVI: present
Perineural invasion: present
LAR margins: clear (w/in microns)
Folfox (8/17-1/18)
Scope 6/18 - CLEAR! - 2 polyps removed
PET 10/17/18: 3 pos LNs
Irinotecan + Vectobix (started in 11/18)
CEA: 1.7 (2/19)
Xeloda + radiation (5/19)
Surgery scheduled: 8/21/19 (surgery aborted)
Phase 1 Trial (October 2019 - ?)

User avatar
CRguy
Posts: 10035
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Problems with port

Postby CRguy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:29 pm

k0chr wrote:She said it wasn't abnormal for this to occur and I've read about others having challenges with their ports.

One thing you may wish to consider is just allowing the infusion nurses to access the port, and everyone else has to use arm veins ????

I had a Bard power port with a Groshong catheter ( good for infusions for scans etc. )
BUTT my cancer center ONLY allowed port access by chemo infusion nurses for FOLFOX.
They said there were less problems that way and other blood sampling and CT / MRI contrast infusions
HAD to use peripheral arm veins with temporary catheters.

I had my port about 3 years with regular flushes ( 4-6-weeks ) at the center and never had any problems with it.

Hope all goes well for you on Monday !
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
12 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

k0chr
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:08 pm

Re: Problems with port

Postby k0chr » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:20 pm

AmyG wrote:Good luck with FOLFOX, I have round 6 tomorrow. It's not awful but I can think of more fun things to do with my time! :lol:


Thank you. Round 1 wasn't too bad, though I did experience a lot of fatigue. One down, eleven to go!
DX: 54
05/24/19 DX: CC rectosigmoid adenocarcinoma
06/07/19: laparascopic
5.8cm tumor, clear margins
G2 IIIA T2N1AM0
1/10 positive
07/08/19: starting FOLFOX, 12 cycles
08/14/19: gallbladder removed
08/19/19: DVT left internal jugular vein, subclavian, & axillary veins, daily Lovenox injections

k0chr
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:08 pm

Re: Problems with port

Postby k0chr » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:24 pm

jep wrote: Now he just has his blood drawn from his arm because it’s a pain to wait around for the meds that clear the port


I think having blood draws in the arm is where I'm at, too. I went for my second blood draw and no return, so we did an arm stick. I'm with you on having to wait 30+ minutes just to get labs drawn.Thankfully my left arm is an easy draw. If that ever changes, weekly blood draws are going to be a problem.
DX: 54
05/24/19 DX: CC rectosigmoid adenocarcinoma
06/07/19: laparascopic
5.8cm tumor, clear margins
G2 IIIA T2N1AM0
1/10 positive
07/08/19: starting FOLFOX, 12 cycles
08/14/19: gallbladder removed
08/19/19: DVT left internal jugular vein, subclavian, & axillary veins, daily Lovenox injections

k0chr
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:08 pm

Re: Problems with port

Postby k0chr » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:40 pm

CRguy wrote:One thing you may wish to consider is just allowing the infusion nurses to access the port, and everyone else has to use arm veins ????

I had a Bard power port with a Groshong catheter ( good for infusions for scans etc. )
BUTT my cancer center ONLY allowed port access by chemo infusion nurses for FOLFOX.
They said there were less problems that way and other blood sampling and CT / MRI contrast infusions
HAD to use peripheral arm veins with temporary catheters.
CRguy


That's interesting about only allowing access for chemo infusions. The same nurses here do the blood draws via the port and the infusions. They need a blood return before they'll start the FOLFOX. It's looking like the clot buster is going to be a fixture in my life for the foreseeable future. Spending more time there isn't exactly on my bucket list. :roll:

Last Friday's blood draw on the port also failed, so we defaulted to the arm. The consensus of the RNs is that this next Friday's draw will also need to be done via the arm.
DX: 54
05/24/19 DX: CC rectosigmoid adenocarcinoma
06/07/19: laparascopic
5.8cm tumor, clear margins
G2 IIIA T2N1AM0
1/10 positive
07/08/19: starting FOLFOX, 12 cycles
08/14/19: gallbladder removed
08/19/19: DVT left internal jugular vein, subclavian, & axillary veins, daily Lovenox injections

AmyG
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:08 pm

Re: Problems with port

Postby AmyG » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:02 pm

God. What a pain in the ass. Or arm. Or port. :lol:

How are you feeling? I've got round 7 coming up next Monday. Fatigue hit me like a ton of bricks recently, but I'm feeling so much better. It helps to know there is an end in sight!
42 dx @ 9wks pregnant w/baby #8 8/18
Sigmoid colon resection 9/18
Adenocarcinoma, G2, T3N0M0..or so we thought
KRAS/BRAF wild
Liver biopsy is malignant, stage iv now boys!
Delivered healthy baby 3/19
FOLFOX + Avastin 5/19
CEA 167 to 24 after 4 rounds
Liver resection 8/28/19
NED!! CEA 2.3

k0chr
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:08 pm

Re: Problems with port

Postby k0chr » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:16 pm

AmyG wrote:
How are you feeling? I've got round 7 coming up next Monday. Fatigue hit me like a ton of bricks recently, but I'm feeling so much better. It helps to know there is an end in sight!


I'm feeling very good, actually. Sorry to hear about the fatigue. It bites, especially when you have kids. Hope it keeps getting better. Is this round 7 of 12 or ...? More than half way would definitely warrant a celebration.

You're 5 rounds ahead of me; my 2nd is Monday as well. I think I get to graduate from the small room with a bed to the regular "lounge" with the big kids. lol
DX: 54
05/24/19 DX: CC rectosigmoid adenocarcinoma
06/07/19: laparascopic
5.8cm tumor, clear margins
G2 IIIA T2N1AM0
1/10 positive
07/08/19: starting FOLFOX, 12 cycles
08/14/19: gallbladder removed
08/19/19: DVT left internal jugular vein, subclavian, & axillary veins, daily Lovenox injections

MetastaticEquilibria
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:42 am
Location: Japan

Re: Problems with port

Postby MetastaticEquilibria » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:35 pm

k0chr wrote:
CRguy wrote:One thing you may wish to consider is just allowing the infusion nurses to access the port, and everyone else has to use arm veins ????

I had a Bard power port with a Groshong catheter ( good for infusions for scans etc. )
BUTT my cancer center ONLY allowed port access by chemo infusion nurses for FOLFOX.
They said there were less problems that way and other blood sampling and CT / MRI contrast infusions
HAD to use peripheral arm veins with temporary catheters.
CRguy


That's interesting about only allowing access for chemo infusions. The same nurses here do the blood draws via the port and the infusions. They need a blood return before they'll start the FOLFOX. It's looking like the clot buster is going to be a fixture in my life for the foreseeable future. Spending more time there isn't exactly on my bucket list. :roll:

Last Friday's blood draw on the port also failed, so we defaulted to the arm. The consensus of the RNs is that this next Friday's draw will also need to be done via the arm.


I wish I could have my port used for blood samples, but I have a type that doesn’t back-flow. I have had it used for IV drips, though, which was much nicer than having my arm entangled in tubes. Made changing clothes a lot easier, too.

Too bad you can’t get draws from it any more. (Or at least this Friday.)
M55 Stage 4 Japan
12/16 Tumor rectal/sigmoid jct
1/17 Resect stage 2 T3N0M0+LVI
2-6/17 UFT+UZEL
7/17 Recurr.+2 liver mets stage 4
7-10/17 FOLFOX+Vectibix
11-12/17 FOLFOX+pelvic rad 60 Gy
1-7/18 FOLFOX+Vectibix
8-9/18 Liver protons 73 GyE
10-12/18 Xeloda+Avastin
2/19 New liver met
3/19 Liver protons 66 GyE
4/19 3 Lung mets
4-6/19 Vectibix
7-9/19 FOLFIRI+Cyramza
9/19 Biliary stent
10/19-now Lonsurf+Avastin
CEA 1.4-223 last 2: 130 74
CA19-9 2.8-232 last 2: 232 96
RAS wild MSS MET+ TP53-
UGT1A1*28 homo

AmyG
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:08 pm

Re: Problems with port

Postby AmyG » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:17 pm

k0chr wrote:
I'm feeling very good, actually. Sorry to hear about the fatigue. It bites, especially when you have kids. Hope it keeps getting better. Is this round 7 of 12 or ...? More than half way would definitely warrant a celebration.

You're 5 rounds ahead of me; my 2nd is Monday as well. I think I get to graduate from the small room with a bed to the regular "lounge" with the big kids. lol


It will be 7 of 12! And I'll have a bit of a break before and after liver resection. I'm hoping to grow back some eyelashes in that time. Just so they can fall out again. :lol:

Why did they put you in a room? I've done all of mine in the chair with everyone else. They are pretty good in which to nap!
42 dx @ 9wks pregnant w/baby #8 8/18
Sigmoid colon resection 9/18
Adenocarcinoma, G2, T3N0M0..or so we thought
KRAS/BRAF wild
Liver biopsy is malignant, stage iv now boys!
Delivered healthy baby 3/19
FOLFOX + Avastin 5/19
CEA 167 to 24 after 4 rounds
Liver resection 8/28/19
NED!! CEA 2.3

NHMike
Posts: 2334
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:43 am

Re: Problems with port

Postby NHMike » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:59 am

I always had bloodwork taken from my arm instead of the port and that may be an option if the port is problemmatical.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

k0chr
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:08 pm

Re: Problems with port

Postby k0chr » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:43 pm

AmyG wrote:Why did they put you in a room? I've done all of mine in the chair with everyone else. They are pretty good in which to nap!


It was in case I had a reaction to some of the meds/chemo. It seemed odd since I'd not read about anyone else having the first infusion in bed. It was weirdly uncomfortable being fully dressed reclining in a bed, but whatever. :roll:

I'd never considered that I might lose eyelashes. My first thought is that it'd be weird, but my eyelashes (and eyebrows) are blonde so no one other an I will really notice. :lol: :shock:
DX: 54
05/24/19 DX: CC rectosigmoid adenocarcinoma
06/07/19: laparascopic
5.8cm tumor, clear margins
G2 IIIA T2N1AM0
1/10 positive
07/08/19: starting FOLFOX, 12 cycles
08/14/19: gallbladder removed
08/19/19: DVT left internal jugular vein, subclavian, & axillary veins, daily Lovenox injections

k0chr
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:08 pm

Re: Problems with port

Postby k0chr » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:45 pm

NHMike wrote:I always had bloodwork taken from my arm instead of the port and that may be an option if the port is problemmatical.


I think that's where I'm headed. So far four (or is it five?) nurses have tried to draw blood to no avail. The last one did get a very short blood return but by the time she had the vial attached it was all over. The staff phlebotomist is a peach so I'm happy to get to see her every week.
DX: 54
05/24/19 DX: CC rectosigmoid adenocarcinoma
06/07/19: laparascopic
5.8cm tumor, clear margins
G2 IIIA T2N1AM0
1/10 positive
07/08/19: starting FOLFOX, 12 cycles
08/14/19: gallbladder removed
08/19/19: DVT left internal jugular vein, subclavian, & axillary veins, daily Lovenox injections


Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests