Problems with port

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
k0chr

Problems with port

Postby k0chr » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:31 pm

First off, thank you all for the great information and links that have been posted. I feel much less stressed about starting chemo because of it.

Monday I start FOLFOX, 12 rounds. This past Friday I went for blood tests but the RN wasn't able to get a blood return from my port (it had been installed the previous Friday). After several attempts by 2 RNs including all the various repositionings, they recommended I come in early before my onc appointment to get a clot buster. She said it wasn't abnormal for this to occur and I've read about others having challenges with their ports. Is this likely a sign of more troubles to come with the port or it it common for this to be a one off?
DX: 54
05/24/19 DX: CC rectosigmoid adenocarcinoma
06/07/19: laparascopic
5.8cm tumor
clear margins
G2 IIIA T2N1AM0
1/10 positive
07/08/19: starting FOLFOX, 12 cycles

AmyG

Re: Problems with port

Postby AmyG » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:41 am

I've only had one nurse not be able to access mine and that's been in since April. She ended up drawing labs from my hand. :roll:

Hopefully it was just a one off for you too!

Good luck with FOLFOX, I have round 6 tomorrow. It's not awful but I can think of more fun things to do with my time! :lol:
42 dx @ 9wks pregnant w/baby #8 8/18
Sigmoid colon resection 9/18
Adenocarcinoma, G2, T3N0M0..or so we thought
KRAS/BRAF wild
Liver biopsy is malignant, stage iv now boys!
Delivered healthy baby 3/19
FOLFOX + Avastin 5/19
CEA 167 to 24 after 4 rounds
Liver resection next step!

jep

Postby jep » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:50 am

I’m sorry you are having trouble with your port....my husband has consistently had issues having blood drawn from his port....they have tried everything, and even did a “port study” to make sure that he was able to receive through the port....no problems there. Now he just has his blood drawn from his arm because it’s a pain to wait around for the meds that clear the port....he’s fine with it, but i’m Sure it could be an issue for someone who has a hard time giving blood from the arm....hopefully this is just a small glitch and it will work well from here on out!
Wife of DH (47) Stage IV CC on 5/16/17
T Loc: recto-sigmoid
T type: Adenocarcinoma
T size: 7.4 cm
T grade: G3
TNM code: T3N2M1
Pos LNs: 8 out of 20
Baseline CEA value: .9
LVI: present
Perineural invasion: present
LAR margins: clear (w/in microns)
Folfox (8/17-1/18)
Scope 6/18 - CLEAR! - 2 polyps removed
PET 10/17/18: 3 pos LNs
Irinotecan + Vectobix (started in 11/18)
CEA: 1.7 (2/19)
Xeloda + radiation (May 2019)

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:29 pm

k0chr wrote:She said it wasn't abnormal for this to occur and I've read about others having challenges with their ports.

One thing you may wish to consider is just allowing the infusion nurses to access the port, and everyone else has to use arm veins ????

I had a Bard power port with a Groshong catheter ( good for infusions for scans etc. )
BUTT my cancer center ONLY allowed port access by chemo infusion nurses for FOLFOX.
They said there were less problems that way and other blood sampling and CT / MRI contrast infusions
HAD to use peripheral arm veins with temporary catheters.

I had my port about 3 years with regular flushes ( 4-6-weeks ) at the center and never had any problems with it.

Hope all goes well for you on Monday !
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
12 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”