Mop up chemo question

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
_Jelen90

Mop up chemo question

Postby _Jelen90 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:37 pm

Hi everyone,

My husband just got his path report from the APR surgery he got 2 weeks ago for rectal cancer.

So his tumor was completely gone due to chemorad and everything was clear EXCEPT one positive lymph node. So my question is : is he automatically gonna get mop op chemo ? And second question : they only got 7 lymph nodes out...from what I am reading here a lot if ppl got at least 12?
Last edited by _Jelen90 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
21/12/2018 DH 28 diag. Rectal cancer
T2N1M0 - Stage IIIA
6 weeks of Chemorad Jan-March 2019
APR surgery June 2019
Permanent colostomy
Path report : tumor completely gone but 1 lymph node out of 8 tested positive
6 rounds of Mop up XELOX August 2019
NED December 2019

Rikimaroo

Re: Mop op chemo question

Postby Rikimaroo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:37 pm

You get 12 if the oncologist suggested chemo prior to surgery so six before surgery and six after surgery of FOLFOX typically. at least that is how mine went. I would do mop up chemo just to play it safe. six rounds should do the trick.
RC T3N1M0 12/16
MSS - NRAS Mutation
Chemo Rad, CCR - W&W 5/2017
Recurrence 11/2017
CT Scan 11/2017 Liver Met 5.5cm Stable, Stage IV
LAR/Liver Resect 4/2018
Reversal 10/18
CEA highest 500, lowest .8 throughout process, waiting for latest
Recurrence left vesical/pelvic sidewall - 10/7/2019 resect perm bag,
CEA rise Feb/May 3.7, 8.8, 30, Recurrence in Pelvic
CEA 40 right now, but was 57, so folfiri to beat it back down.
Lots of chemo for the past 4 years.

natelaugh

Re: Mop op chemo question

Postby natelaugh » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:15 pm

My dad oncologist and from my reading, chemo is either 6 cycle/3 months or 12 cycles/6 months is depending on what stage and how aggressive the cancer.

Nate.
Caregiver to 80M
DX:CC,RC,desc
11/2018 rightPain
1/19/19 scopy,path
1/23 CTscan
2/19 surgery
2/26-2/28 NGTube
2/28-3/14 TPN bc ileus
3/2 2nd surgeryCloseOpenWound
3/4-3/28 woundVac
size: 6cm Adenocarcinoma
grade Poorly
Stage IIIC T3N2aMx
PositiveLymph:5of28
BaselineCEA:68
LVI:Y
PNI:N
Surgical margins:clear
MSI:MMR (MLH1, MSH2, MSH6, PMS2) Intact nuclear expression
Lynch status:N
Laparascopic, partial colectomy
CEA:3/28/19 2.8
Chemo:4/16/19-9/17/19 5FU,12cycles,every 14days,leucoverin,zofran,Dexamethasone

WriterGirl1969

Re: Mop up chemo question

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:13 pm

_Jelen90 wrote:Hi everyone,

My husband just got his path report from the APR surgery he got 2 weeks ago for rectal cancer.

So his tumor was completely gone due to chemorad and everything was clear EXCEPT one positive lymph node. So my question is : is he automatically gonna get mop op chemo ? And second question : they only got 7 lymph nodes out...from what I am reading here a lot if ppl got at least 12?

Hi Jelen90. Know that my response is based on what I've learned through my own experience and questions. I am not a doctor nor an oncologist.

I also had only 1 harvested lymph node positive. I had more taken overall, but the idea is that if the cancer spread to one lymph node, generally they will want to do mop-up chemo to ensure there are no stray cancer cells remaining in the lymphatic system, since this is the superhighway that travels throughout the body, and so one area they want to keep free of cancer.

With regard to the general total of nodes taken, I've read other posts discussing how this varies. Mostly it depends on what the surgeon has access to during surgery, and taking enough to get a good sampling. If you're unsure about this, the best thing you can do is ask the surgeon during a follow-up visit, or call and ask them if you can have the surgeon answer this question. They should be able to give a better idea of why they went with the number they did, and if they feel it was enough to get a good status.

I did a six-month course of mop-up chemo due to my one positive lymph node, and also how far into the colon wall the cancer had penetrated. I did mono-therapy (Xeloda without the Oxa due to pre-existing neuropathy) and opted for oral vs. IV so that I could minimize impact to normal lifestyle. I did fairly well with it for the most part, and am now 3 years NED. So even if hubby does need to have a course of chemo based on his results, try not to let it get you down. I know as soon as I saw my results my eyes zeroed right in on that 1 positive node, and what it meant regarding chemo, but if it means beating the last of those little buggers out, that's a good thing. Keep the faith, keep breathing, and take it one day at a time. And of course, ask lots of questions like the ones above.

Smiles, hugs and prayers,
Tracy
DX 3/4/2016 Colon Cancer; age 46 Mom of then 4-yr-old
Stage IIIB: T3N1M0
3/31/16 Surgery
4 to 10/2016: Xeloda Monotherapy
CEA: 10/16 0.56, 1/17 0.54
CT CLEAR: 3/6/17; 4/17/18; 4/16/19
NED 3 years
“If I can help somebody as I walk along, then my living shall not be in vain.”

_Jelen90

Postby _Jelen90 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:58 pm

WriterGirl1969 wrote:
_Jelen90 wrote:Hi everyone,

Hi Jelen90. Know that my response is based on what I've learned through my own experience and questions. I am not a doctor nor an oncologist.

I also had only 1 harvested lymph node positive. I had more taken overall, but the idea is that if the cancer spread to one lymph node, generally they will want to do mop-up chemo to ensure there are no stray cancer cells remaining in the lymphatic system, since this is the superhighway that travels throughout the body, and so one area they want to keep free of cancer.

With regard to the general total of nodes taken, I've read other posts discussing how this varies. Mostly it depends on what the surgeon has access to during surgery, and taking enough to get a good sampling. If you're unsure about this, the best thing you can do is ask the surgeon during a follow-up visit, or call and ask them if you can have the surgeon answer this question. They should be able to give a better idea of why they went with the number they did, and if they feel it was enough to get a good status.

I did a six-month course of mop-up chemo due to my one positive lymph node, and also how far into the colon wall the cancer had penetrated. I did mono-therapy (Xeloda without the Oxa due to pre-existing neuropathy) and opted for oral vs. IV so that I could minimize impact to normal lifestyle. I did fairly well with it for the most part, and am now 3 years NED. So even if hubby does need to have a course of chemo based on his results, try not to let it get you down. I know as soon as I saw my results my eyes zeroed right in on that 1 positive node, and what it meant regarding chemo, but if it means beating the last of those little buggers out, that's a good thing. Keep the faith, keep breathing, and take it one day at a time. And of course, ask lots of questions like the ones above.

Tracy

Thank you Tracy !! That was a very informative response and I really appreciate that you took your time to share your experience. :)

I am just a little overwhelmed with everything right now, deep inside I was hoping everything would be over after chemoradiation and surgery but it is what it is..we gotta keep fightin'!
21/12/2018 DH 28 diag. Rectal cancer
T2N1M0 - Stage IIIA
6 weeks of Chemorad Jan-March 2019
APR surgery June 2019
Permanent colostomy
Path report : tumor completely gone but 1 lymph node out of 8 tested positive
6 rounds of Mop up XELOX August 2019
NED December 2019

Green Tea

Postby Green Tea » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:36 am

I think the general opinion is that if the patient has any high risk factors in the pathology report, then some sort of adjuvant chemotherapy is indicated.

In your husband's case, there are at least two high risk factors in the path report: (1) Lymphovascular invasion, and (2) less than 12 nodes evaluated in the pathology report, so I think it would be standard practice to administer one of the recommended first-line adjuvant chemotherapy regimens for about 3 months. He has already had some neo-adjuvant (pre-surgery) therapy so he would not need to have the full 6 months of post-surgery adjuvant chemotherapy normally recommended for Stage III patients.

https://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62173&p=490740#p490740

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:59 pm

_Jelen90 wrote:Thank you Tracy !! That was a very informative response and I really appreciate that you took your time to share your experience. :)

I am just a little overwhelmed with everything right now, deep inside I was hoping everything would be over after chemoradiation and surgery but it is what it is..we gotta keep fightin'!

I definitely can identify with that. I remember hearing I would have to do chemo and feeling as if I'd somehow failed all the people who had been routing and praying for me. I had so sincerely hoped the surgery would be it, and that getting clear margins would mean everything would be fine.

Of course, everything still was fine. I just had to keep fighting, as you so appropriately said. :)

The times right after diagnosis and surgery are, I think, the hardest. The waiting, and uncertainty, and pure whirlwind nature of it all. But every day after that contained a little bit more normalcy as things got back into normal routines, even if some of those routines had to change a bit. And of course, there were still moments. This group had a lot to do with keeping me moving. This is where I received the most information, which gave me my power back. This is where people going through the same thing gave me support and love and words of wisdom.

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and know you can come here anytime you need info, support, or just to vent.

Tracy
DX 3/4/2016 Colon Cancer; age 46 Mom of then 4-yr-old
Stage IIIB: T3N1M0
3/31/16 Surgery
4 to 10/2016: Xeloda Monotherapy
CEA: 10/16 0.56, 1/17 0.54
CT CLEAR: 3/6/17; 4/17/18; 4/16/19
NED 3 years
“If I can help somebody as I walk along, then my living shall not be in vain.”

Cured

Postby Cured » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:07 am

Jelen90, Chemo is not fun. But living with good health for several years is nice.
My surgeon is also a cellular biologist. He says that once the cancer gets into our lymph nodes, then micro-tumors circulate in our bloodstream.
The mop-up chemo often works, so I suggest doing it. I went 10 years healthy. I believe the sleeping micro-tumors were awaken by my pneumonia vaccine. I have no clinical evidence to prove this, but for Rectal cancer to return after 10 years is rare. I received the 13 valent vaccine 5 months before the tumor became evident in my brain, after expanding into my lungs, which pumped them.

Praying that your life goes on.
7-18 Stg 4
5-08:Stg 3 Rectal: 6/14 Nodes
Ace Surgn Remvd 90%Rectm,lots of Colon-Full Incision
Ileo Rev'd 6 Mos.
Radian+5fu Pre-Surg
FOLFOX 8 Cyc,1-09
Clear Scope 8-17; CEA 2-18
Glory to God! Healed by prayers of many: for 10 yrs
7-18: tumor pressing brain Remove
Met to lung. CEA 6.9
Folfiri